Websites & iPad Apps PD
Curating - Collaborating - Creating - for all PTHSD Staff
Online Learning Experience:
Do you ever feel overwhelmed by technology?
There always seems to be something new and as a teacher it can be hard to figure out what might work best in your classroom. During this online experience, participants will focus on how to improve pedagogy with digital tools. They will have time to explore the best tools either web-based or iPad based for curating, collaborating, and creating.
Samantha Morra will facilitate this online course and guide participants through various activities.
Learning Outcomes of this Experience:
- Time to develop projects for immediate integration
- Develop a culminating activity for reflection and summation
- Culminating activity serves as an artifact for end of year evaluations, professional development plans, and more
- Autonomy to design job embedded and relevant materials
Autonomy in Learning- Optional Project Options include:
1. Great Websites for Curating, Collaborating and Creating - Do you ever feel overwhelmed by everything that is out there on the web? There always seems to be something new and as a teacher it can be hard to figure out what might work best in your classroom. During this online experience, participants will focus on how to improve pedagogy and help you find some great sites for your grade or curriculum focus. They will have time to explore, curate and develop a plan to use the best web-based tools for curating, collaborating, and creating.
2. Great iPad Apps for Curating, Collaborating and Creating - So many apps, so little time. There is an overwhelming amount of apps out there for education. The secret to using the iPad effectively is that it is not about the apps but about what you want your students to do. During this online experience, participants will focus on how to improve pedagogy using the best iPad apps for curating, collaborating, and creating.
3. Digital Storytelling - Digital stories take students beyond traditional assignments while learning 21st century skills of creating, communicating and collaborating. Digital Storytelling ranges from personal tales to the recounting historical events, from exploring science or math to demonstrating a better understanding of literature. In this online experience, participants will create with a variety of multimedia elements to use with students to create digital stories.
4. Screencasting - Screencasting is a great skill for teachers to harness the power of video as an instructional tool and can help you “flip” your class. The flipped classroom model "flips" traditional teaching methods by delivering instruction online outside of the classroom usually with video. By reducing the time needed in class for direct instruction, it frees up time for more effective learning activities and increased student-teacher interactions. It gives time back to the teacher or content expert to work with students and provide face-to-face feedback and guidance.This online experience will get you started with web-based or iPad based tools.
5. Understanding Social Media - Understanding social media and the impact it has had on our society and how it can be used personally and professionally should be the goal of every educator. Many educators have heard the term social networking, but most are not really sure what it means or the potential that it has to inform, communicate and collaborate, especially in education. This online experience will start with a focus on social media in general and then address Twitter and how it can be used for professional development, classroom instruction and collaboration.
6. Online and iPad assessment tools - Creating assessments and gathering data our students can be a challenge, but there are great tools out there to make this easier and more meaningful for you and your students. This online experience will explore a variety of tools to use to create efficient and effective assessments.
7. Create Better Presentations - How should we present information? How should we ask our students to present information. It is well past time that we move beyond PowerPoint and look at the amazing and free tools out there to create effective presentations. This online experience will help you explore set of great tools to use and share with your students.
8. Using Geography tools across the curriculum - Do you want your students to explore the world but can’t afford the airfare? Explore the world with a variety of online tools to make curriculum come alive and become more meaningful to students as they explore places they have only heard about. This is not limited to social studies teachers. This online experience will help you understand how geography can be a powerful tool in all curriculum areas and allow for deeper understanding and application of information.
9. Online and iPad Whiteboards - There are many tools out there that focus on collaboration and communication. One of the most powerful of these tools are whiteboards. They have the ability to increase interaction and capture the progression of thoughts and ideas. This online experience will focus on using online or iPad whiteboards for communication and collaboration in your classroom and the pedagogy behind using them.
Some Projects May Explore:
- Book Creator
Sample Cumulating Activities:
- Create a Presentation Using (Your Choice)
- Curate Resources for a Curriculum Topic
- Collaborate on a Web-based Tool
- Create a Screencast
- Create Exit Tickets
- Lesson Plan for Multimedia Creation
Sign Up Here:
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the technology requirements for this course?
A computer with an up-to-date browser (Chrome,Safari, FireFox) and internet access. Chrome is the preferred browser.
An iPad if you are going to do the iPad related topics.
When is the course offered?
It is on-demand learning. So you can take the class when you have a free moment. We understand that you can't always be at a class that meets in person so we are offering up this opportunity for you to take the training when you can.
What do I receive for taking this class?
You will receive PD hours for the class. You will also come away with a much greater knowledge of all of these tools.
Who will help me if I have a questions?
Samantha Morra is always available for questions and to provide support and Elissa Malespina will be available for in-district support.