Welcome to the SMS Library
News and Information For You!
Dear SMS Families,
The library program has some exciting opportunities in store for your child this year:
- Our program will be promoting the very best of children’s literature with activities designed to help students enjoy stories even more.
- We will be doing our very best to get (or keep) every child “hooked on reading” by recommending specific reading materials to each individual.
- We will be adding lots of the latest and most exciting new titles for our young readers, including quality non-fiction to help meet Common Core requirements.
- At each grade level, students will learn research and computer skills including use of tools like Canva, Google Classroom, Livebinders and much more.
- We will be working with classroom teachers to help infuse technology and research skills into all areas of the curriculum.
- Library lessons will stress good Digital Citizenship, helping your child make safe and ethical decisions when using the Internet.
- We are planning lots of special events including virtual author visits, a book fair, a virtual debate and virtual connections with schools from around the world.
- We have a Google Classroom page which I will be inviting all your students to join. All of the information I teach the students will be included there along with all important library announcements. Please make sure your students join.
- We have a Makerspace where students can create, experiment, collaborate and learn. The Makerspace is available most days after school for your children if they want to come and explore
- If you would like to volunteer to help in the library, please let me know. We would love to have you!
I am very excited about the coming school year and am committed to making the library your child’s favorite place at SMSl!
Join Bloomz for SMS Library Communications
Want to learn more about what is going on in the library or quickly contact me? The Library will not only be using Google Classroom but also Bloomz. Here are the directions to sign up for it!