Bay Alex Sherman
- Each day, more than 3,600 people under 18 smoke their first cigarette, and more than 900 begin smoking on a daily basis.
- Approximately 18% of high school students smoke cigarettes
- kids can miss take drugs for candy
8.6 million people live with a serious illness caused by smoking
- On average, smokers die 13 to 14 years earlier than nonsmokers.
- People who smoke are up to two to four times more likely to suffer a heart attack than nonsmokers, and the risk increases with the number of cigarettes smoked. Smoking also causes most cases of chronic obstructive lung disease.
- Among youth who persist in smoking, a third will die prematurely from smoking.
- each day 3,600 people smoke there first cigarette
- each day in the United States 900 youth under 18 become daily cigarette users
- of high school students nation wide 18% report current use of cigarettes
- 88% of adult daily smokers smoked there first cigarette before 18
- cigarette smoking accounts for an estimated 443,000 deaths per year