By: Lillie Kirchner
History of Diabetes
- In 1910, English physiologist Sir Edward Albert Sharpey-Schafer's study of the pancreas lead to the discovery of insulin.
- In 1916, Elliott Joslin, MD, published the first edition of The Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. He was the most influential voices in diabetes care.
Symptoms of Diabetes
- Urinating often
- Feeling very thirsty
- Feeling very hungry - even though you are eating Extreme fatigue
- Blurry vision
- Cuts/bruises that are slow to heal
- Weight loss - even though you are eating more (type 1)
- Tingling, pain, or numbness in the hands/feet (type 2)