Miller Elementary Weekly Update
September 30, 2022
Mrs. Goodman's Message
Hello Miller Families!
We cannot believe we have wrapped up another month of the school year and we will be saying "Hello October" this weekend! I hope you get to carve out some time for fall sports, walks with the family, or possibly hitting up an apple orchard or pumpkin patch in the weeks to come!
We had an amazing week at school celebrating fall on the farm! Our preschool classes enjoyed many fun center activities to explore tasty apples! We followed the steps to make applesauce, or apple pie in a cup, pick their favorite apple color, and much more. We also had our first Music with Ms. Abbey session which is a community partnership project that we have established to bring outside experiences right to our preschoolers at Miller Elementary School.
This week, our kindergartners took a trip to Lake Farm Park which was our first field trip since 2019! We had a lot of fun making cider, visiting the farm animals, taking a carriage ride and so much more. We want to thank all the parent volunteers who joined us on our trip to the farm and pitched in to make it a great day. If your family would like to visit Lake Farm Park, they are hosting their apple cider and apple butter event this weekend on October 1st and October 2nd. You can learn about the process to make cider and apple butter, see the many farm animals, and enjoy their large playground. I have attached the flyer for more information.
Please enjoy some of the many photos that we captured from this past week and enjoy your weekend!
Miller Elementary School - Principal
330-954-2189 Email email@example.com
School Counselor Updates: Mrs. Ambrosia
Greetings Miller Families! I had the pleasure of visiting the Kindergarten classrooms to introduce myself and review playground expectations this month. I’m sure your full-day Kindergarten student would love to show you their favorite activities on the playground using these Miller Playground Safety slides. All students did a great job explaining how they can be respectful, responsible and problem-solvers while on the playground!
Aurora City Schools also partners with several community organizations, including our very own PTO, to connect with families in need of community resources, food, clothing, funds for book fairs or holiday shops, and assistance with holiday gifting or celebrations. This form can be completed when a need arises. As always, please contact me at any time for more information.
Mrs. Lindsey Ambrosia
330.562.6199, ext. 5414
330.562.3175, ext. 1260
Seeking Support Staff Substitutes
The Aurora City Schools is currently seeking support staff substitutes to cover the following positions:
Cafeteria & Playground Paraprofessionals
School Bus Paras
Please use the link below to visit the Aurora Schools website to fill out an application or call Sal Arquilla with any questions at 330-954-2108.
School Wide PBIS Skill of the Week
- State the directions or command using simple language - Use as few words as possible. Remember to "Tell" not "Ask."
- Avoid a list of directions: "Get your shoes on, get your backpack, and zip your coat." Instead, state one direction at a time and provide positive praise after each accomplished task.
- Still Stuck? Have your child repeat the one direction back to you and make sure they are free from distractions.
- Need Help? Use these sentence starters- First...Then... or When...Then.... or If...Then...
Our PBIS skill of listening right away is reinforced with a Greenmen Proud Pom. When we see a child "listening right away" they earn a pom and help to fill our class bucket and school bucket. You can try this at home to encourage good listening skills too!
Important Reminder about Birthday Treats & Invitations
This is also a friendly reminder that all birthday or holiday items that come into school need to be non-food items. With our young children, there are many allergies and family preferences about food and treats so we ask that no food or candy is sent into the classroom except for a specific request from the classroom teacher. Suggested birthday items could be a small item, a book donated to the classroom, or something fun for everyone to enjoy to remember your child's special day. Thank you for your cooperation
We ask that you call Miller School at 330-562-6199 to either speak with Vicki Wolf or leave a message. Please share your child's first name, last name, teacher, and the reason for the absence. If they are going to an appointment, please ask for a doctor's note to have on file here at school. Thank you!
If your family will have a planned absence due to an event or vacation, you will need to fill out a planned absence form for our schools. Please send in a note requesting this form as soon as you know your anticipated date.
If your child is experiencing illness symptoms and you have questions for our school nurse, Jackie Pawlowski, you may call 330-954-2286. She can help answer any questions.
Important Updates from our Superintendent Mike Roberto
School Nurse: Jackie Pawlowski
- Check your child each day for illness symptoms. If they begin to feel ill, please know she will assess your child and make contact with a family member when necessary.
- Students sent home with a fever, may not return to school until they are fever free without medication for at least 24 hours. This means if your child was sent home on Tuesday at 12:00 p.m. with a fever, he/she may not return to school until Thursday. If your child does return the next day, our school will be calling for you to come and pick him/her up. Please help to support our efforts in this area.
- Please make sure your Final Forms medical information is up to date. We will closely read the health sections to address any medical concerns.
Finally, please make sure your child has extra clothes in his/her backpack. Accidents and spills happen all the time and it's safe to always have their own clothes in their book bag instead of wearing our spare clothes.
Important PTO Information
Aurora Elementary PTO
Hello Millier Families!
1. Wednesday, October 5 at 10:00am - Next AEPTO Meeting in the C&I Building (in front of Aurora High School)
2. Monday, October 24 - Join AEPTO for a community event! Grab some friends and have a fun night of pizza. Lee Angelos is giving back 20% from all sales this day (11:00am-9:00pm) to AEPTO!