October 9, 2015
In this edition you will find:
- Boosting Tier 1 Instruction Resources
- Kinder PALS Updates
- New READ Plan and Reminders
- Important Links to District and PALS Resources and Archived READ Newsletters
Optional READ Support Session-October 23 in Mt. Massive, PLCC
High Leverage Strategies for Boosting Tier I Instruction
There are many aspects of strong core instruction and the resources we provide are not all inclusive. They do provide some key look-fors for School Leaders and Teaching Partners that can be used when collecting data and reflecting on classroom practices.
Instructional Coordinators, ELA Consultants, and MTSS Partners can provide support as needed so please communicate any needs with us.
KINDER PALS UPDATES
The window for Kinder PALS testing is November 2-December 18. Please make sure your Kinder teams are trained and ready to choose and administer Form B during this window.
- Kindergarten Teachers: It is highly recommended by PALS that you integrate the Concept of Word Rhyme into your instruction as early as possible so that students will know the rhyme by heart before assessing the skill.
- Teachers will need to administer ALL required assessments according to PALS for Kinder students to receive a cut score. This is different than the number of required assessments for students in grades 1-3. Two of the assessments can be administered in small groups.
READ Plan Reminders
- Under the new security parameters set by the district, only the classroom teacher can create a new READ plan for their student. If you are supporting a teacher in creating a plan, be sure the teacher is the person logged into Enrich.
- When teachers create or revise a plan, there are a few additional steps in the process.
- Revised help sheets are included below.
PLEASE FINALIZE ALL PLANS that have been revised-they are not activated plans until you finalize. Please see the help sheets above if needed.
- As stated on page one of the Key Assessment Chart, teachers should have entered BAS baseline scores by Sept 11 into the Beginning of Year Baseline window, and End of Quarter 1 reading levels should've been entered for all students by October 9th. If this was not done, please remind teachers to enter their reading level data as soon as possible.
- For all APS students who are on a READ plan, BAS levels need to be entered into Enrich monthly. This can be an analyzed running record given on an unseen text. A teacher is able to enter multiple scores in the same window by following the directions on this Enrich Help Sheet. This help sheet link is also at the bottom of the Key Assessment Chart on page 2.
Documenting READ Plan Tiers
New READ Plans
Students SHOULD NOT be placed on a READ plan until the second Testing Window ends-after November 13th.
READ Act Team
- Elementary Literacy
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS)
- Accountability & Research
- Exceptional Student Services
- English Language Acquisition
For support, please contact: