Henking School Newsletter
September 9, 2022
¡Traduzca este boletín! 이 뉴스 레터를 번역하세요! Энэ мэдээг орчуулаарай! Przetłumacz ten biuletyn! | Переведите этот информационный бюллетень!
- Watch this short video for instructions on how to translate it into your language.
- Mire este breve video para obtener instrucciones sobre cómo traducirlo a su idioma.
- 귀하의 언어로 번역하는 방법에 대한 지침은이 짧은 비디오를 시청하십시오.
- Үүнийг хэрхэн богино хугацаанд өөрийн хэл рүү хөрвүүлэх зааврыг энэ видеоноос үзээрэй.
- Obejrzyj ten krótki film, aby uzyskać instrukcje, jak przetłumaczyć go na swój język.
- Посмотрите это короткое видео, чтобы узнать, как перевести его на ваш язык.
Message from the Principals
All District 34 schools will meet the state requirements to hold fire, weather and lockdown drills this year. We work with the Glenview Police and Fire Departments to run these drills.
As a reminder, District 34 uses the “Lockdown with Options: Run, Hide, Fight” approach to school safety, which identifies options to be considered when responding to a school threat. This approach to an active intruder is endorsed by Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This year, lockdown drills will include both actual “run, hide, fight” exercises, as well as discussions with students about what would happen in possible scenarios, presented in an age-appropriate way to ensure students understand the options available in responding to an intruder. In both situations, teachers will emphasize two key points:
Hiding remains the primary response in a lockdown
Students’ most important task is to follow directions from the trusted adults in their building
Our fall drills will be held in the coming days.
Per state law, parents can opt their children out of participating in lockdown drills. If you do not wish your child to participate in the upcoming drill, please email me.
Reminder - Student Absence Procedures
Ribbon Cutting Celebrations | Input on Strategic Plan Core Values | Volunteer Pool
Dear District 34 Families,
We are thankful to our community for the support of the referendum that is building future for all of our students. We invite you to celebrate that success at ribbon cutting ceremonies at Springman, Westbrook, Henking and Lyon -- and take a tour of the new spaces to see for yourself what the excitement is all about! The whole community is invited, so please attend any or all of the events -- and bring a friend:
- Springman: September 12 at 3:30pm
- Westbrook: September 19 at 5:00pm
- Henking: September 20 at 5:00pm
- Lyon: September 21 at 5:00pm
Community support and connections continue to be an important part of our strategic plan as well. You can help us achieve our mission, vision, values and goals of that plan in two ways:
Share Your Thoughts on Our Core Values: In order to achieve and maintain day-to-day success within our system -- and ensure opportunities for success for every student -- all stakeholders must adopt the core values that are part of District 34's Strategic Plan. This survey addresses the following core value:
Diversity, Inclusion & Equity: We embrace and welcome the differences of each member of our community and provide equitable resources to meet the needs of all learners.
In a series of ThoughtExchanges for staff, parents and community members throughout the 2022-2023 school year, the District hopes to gain an understanding of the current "State of Equity" in D34, which will allow us to move the the strategic plan forward, and ensure that we continue to aspire, explore, discover, connect. Please provide your thoughts in this parent/family exchange, and rate the thoughts of others who participate. The exchange is accessible in many languages. Use the “Language” drop down below the question to select your preferred language:
2. Join the D34 Volunteer Pool: D34 is looking to build connections and community partnerships that increase opportunities for our students to experience authentic learning. We are asking parents, grandparents and other community members to share their experience and expertise in our classrooms. Sign up here. Teachers will reach out to volunteers when they need guest experts in areas that align with the topics they are covering. We're seeking those who can share their work experience/career knowledge, as well as those who have unique life experiences, hobbies, cultural and language knowledge, etc.
9/10: Being Bilingual Rocks! 9/10 (Glenview Public Library)
9/18: Mariachi Sirenas 9/18 (Glenview Public Library)
9/19: Take-n-Make: Celebre la Herencia Hispana: 9/19 (Niles Library)
9/20: En-Persona: Charla y Café - La Casa en Mango Street 9/20 (Niles Library)
9/20: StoryWalk Storytime 9/20 (Glenview Public Library)
9/29: Virtual: An Evening with Erika Sanchez - Author of Crying in the Bathroom 9/29 (Niles Library and Glenview Public Library)
10/8: Virtual y En-Persona: Cuenta Cuentos Español - Spanish Storytime 10/8 (Niles Library)
Glenview Public Library:
Thanks everyone for your interest in volunteering as a room parent! Room parent assignments have been shared via email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check your spam folder if you didn't receive an email. The kick-off meetings will be held via Zoom on September 14th. More details will follow via email.
Birthday Signs: Sign up by October 20th
Purchase a slot for your child's birthday and the PTA will decorate your yard with Henking and Hoffman Happy Birthday signs!
Signs will be installed the evening before your child's birthday and removed 24 hours later.
Purchase by October 20th for the year!