May 18, 2018
FCS is asking parents to take this 10-minute survey to give a clear view of the current state of family engagement. The survey window is May 10 through June 8, 2018. Thank you in advance.
The Last Week of the 2017-2018 School Year...
- 5/21 - BOTT a.k.a. Battle of the Titans @ All Day...GET READY FOR MONDAY!
SIGN UP TO HELP WITH BOTT:
Wear BOTT t-shirts to show BOTT competitive spirit! &
- 5/21 - Summit Counselor Onsite
- 5/22 - Locker Clean Out...Once the Locker is cleaned out, NO MORE BACKPACKS!!
- 5/22 - Titan Morning News Awards @ 8:30 am in the Media Center
- 5/22 - Hampton Film Club Movie Screening from 4:30 pm (Media Center)
- 5/23 - NO BACKPACKS
Bring $$$ for funnel cakes & Kona Ice...Remind your WINN students to bring money!
- 5/23 - 6th & 7th Awards & Promotions Ceremonies (Gym) - ALL Families Invited!
- 5/23 - 8th grade Block Party in the E-Hall from 1 pm to 4 pm
- 5/24 - FCA Mtg @ 7:45 am
- 5/24 - NO BACKPACKS
- 5/24 - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
- 5/24 - Pick Up ALL MEDICATIONS from the Clinic
- 5/24 - Check LOST & FOUND...ALL ITEMS WILL BE DONATED at the end of the day!!
- 5/24 - 8th Grade Awards & Promotion Ceremony @ 10 am - 12 pm (Gym) - ALL Families Invited! Arrive early for seating & parking!!
- - - - -
8th Grade Luncheon @ 12 - 1 pm (Cafeteria) Students & Teachers Only
SIGN UP TO HELP WITH THE GRADUATION LUNCH HERE:
- - - - -
8th Grade Clap-Out @ 3:45 pm
- - - - -
5/24 - Faculty Assembly @ 4:05 pm - 5 pm (Teachers & Staff Only)
- 5/25 - SUMMER BREAK - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- 5/25 - Post Planning - Teacher Workday (NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS)
- 5/28 - MEMORIAL DAY - FULTON COUNTY SCHOOLS CLOSED
- 5/31 - Johnson Sensei travels to Japan with 21 EPMS students and families- Have safe travels Titans!
IMPORTANT EVENTS @ EPMS
BOTT - Battle of the Titans
May 21st @ All Day for All Grades
PE Dept. Field Day
* Bring $$$ for Kona ice & Funnel Cakes!!
Hampton Film Movie Screening
May 22 from 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM in Media Center
ALL STUDENTS & FAMILIES INVITED - FREE!!
6th & 7th Grade Promotion & Awards Day
May 23rd in the Gym
6th Grade @ 9:30 am to 11 am
7th Grade @ 12 noon to 1:30 pm
HIGH SCHOOL GRAD WALK - Class of 2018
May 23rd - All through school
@ 1:15 PM is the Grad Walk @ HSES
@ 2:15 PM is the Grad Walk @ EPMS
8th Grade Graduation / Promotion & Awards Day
May 24th from 10 am - 4:05 pm
• Graduation, Awards & Promotion @ 10 AM - 12 PM (Gym)
• Luncheon @ 12 - 1 PM for Students & Teachers Only (Cafeteria)
SIGN UP TO HELP WITH THE GRADUATION LUNCH HERE:
• 8th-Grade Block Party @ 1 pm - 4 PM
• 8th-Grade Clap-Out @ 3:45 PM
- 6th Grade A&B Honor Roll: https://tinyurl.com/6th-GR-A-B-Honor-Roll
- 6th Grade All As Honor Roll: https://tinyurl.com/6th-GR-All-As-Honor
- 7th Grade A&B Honor Roll: https://tinyurl.com/7th-GRADE-Honor-Roll
- ▪️7th Grade ALL As Honor Roll: https://tinyurl.com/7thGRADE-HONOR-ROLL-ALL-As
- ▪️8th Grade A&B Honor Roll: https://tinyurl.com/8th-GRADE-A-B-Honor-Roll
- ▪️8th Grade All As Honor Roll: https://tinyurl.com/8th-Grade-All-As-Honor-Roll
A Message From the Principal
I can't believe how fast the year has flown! This was yet another packed week filled with exams, field-experiences, the device collection, and celebrations. Next week, will be only four days, but it will be a race to the finish!
As we work to close out the school year, I would also like to commend Mrs. Jennifer Newman and Mr. James Tongue for designing a systematic return process for the Dell Latitude laptops. Thanks to our parent volunteers coming through, we finished on-time. Although the majority of our devices are packed up and ready to be shipped back to Dell for service, we still have quite a few missing chargers. Please ask your child if he or she has turned in all of the required items, especially the charger ($40). Next week, parents will be notified of fines for missing/damaged laptops, carry-cases, and power cords. Fines must be paid or report cards and final transcripts will be held. If your child is matriculating to high school, you will wish to settle any fines, including missing library books and laptop charges. Note: the fines travel with your child.
Celebratory experiences and field experiences were plentiful today! The 8th graders made California rolls with Johnson Sensei. Profe Crowe's Spanish classes hosted a Quincenera, complete with a floral archway. Students in Mrs. Vielette's Science classes each took a DNA sample thanks to the generosity of our PTSA. The Media Center was turned into Bollywood, and our 7th grade Social Studies Classes were treated to an Indian puppet show, presentation, and traditional Indian dance lessons. 6th-grade Science classes trekked on over to the Hembree Springs Observatory for a special field experience with Mr. Javier Tavel. Thank you to Hembree Spring Principal. Mrs. Woodruff, CST Mrs. Lahey, Science teacher Mr. Tavel, and Science teacher Mr. Emory Johnson for working together to bring our Titans to the stars and back! Our 8th graders filmed their LIp-Dub. The Lip-Dub is an 8th grader tradition and it will we be debuted at the 8th-grade Promotion Ceremony on Thursday,
We want you to know that the teachers, staff, and administration are aware of what happened in Texas. Although, we have not brought this up with students some may already know. We want parents to know that we have precautions in place. Our Resource Officer and our staff take the safety of our school very seriously. We just want you to be prepared to have that conversation with your child and to please let them know they can talk to any of our counselors, administrators, or teachers if they have concerns.
We are looking forward to our BOTT field day on Monday, and our Awards and Promotion ceremonies this week. If you have any high school seniors who are graduating, please tell them that Elkins Pointe would love to see them at the High School Grad Walk on Wednesday, May 23rd at 2:15 pm!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
Smart, Happy, Connected!!!
Interact Club End of Year Party!
Teaching Museum Visit!
Spanish Proficiency Assessment
Congratulations to Profe Bolson's 8th-grade Spanish students--Isabella Doss, Riley Davis, Yasha Jeltuhin, Claire Johnson, Deisy Palacios-Cruz, Vanessa Medina-Blas, Freddie Sterdivant, Zachary Foster, David Melonakos, and Mary Ellen Martin, for achieving high Spanish proficiency! They have received the highest rating among Spanish level 1 (both middle and high school) students in the Fulton County in ACTFL (American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages) Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Language (AAPPL Measure)! Felicitaciones to Profe Bolson and her students!
National Japanese Exam
Some 8th-grade Japanese students participated in the 2018 National Japanese Exam (NJE). This is a proficiency-oriented, standard-based and culture-related national assessment for middle, high, and college students who are studying Japanese as a second language. The NJE recently recognized the following students with awards for high achievement. Omedetoo, Congratulations to Carlos Luz (Gold Award), Paulina Miller and Jaylin Warmouth (Silver Award)!
End-of-Year Red Carpet Film Screening
Join the Hampton Film Academy at Elkins Pointe Middle School for this special after-school end-of-year event, as we screen a compilation of 2017-18 student-produced films and present our HFA Certification Awards: PLEASE COME DRESSED FOR PICTURES ON THE RED CARPET!!!
- Who? All are invited to join the Hampton Film Club
- When? Tuesday, May 22 from 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM
- Where? Elkins Pointe Middle School Media Center
- What? Hampton Movie Screening
- Watch? Click on the movie trailer below!
Titan Proud of the Carpenter String Trio
Hi Wonderful EMPS Family--
Some of you know that the Carpenter String Trio has been practicing hard, and I'm excited to report that they will compete in the finals of the Franklin Pond Chamber Music Competition over Memorial Day Weekend. If you want a fun time that Sunday (May 27), grab your donut and head down to Spivey Hall (on the campus of Clayton State University--http://www.clayton.edu/spiveyhall/parking-and-directions).
Abby, Lindsey, and Rachel will perform at 11 am as part of the middle school division. The high school division competes at 1 pm. Both of these competition rounds is FREE to watch in the amazing acoustics of Spivey Hall, and I promise you that you will hear some incredible young musicians. We are so proud of them. They will be performing the first movement of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and we would love to see you there!
Have a great weekend. As always, thanks for everything you do.
Best, Kathy Carpenter
Mrs. Okiyama says..WOOHOO!!!
Message from Mrs. Okiyama:
I am sooooooooooo excited that we are already at 22% for our classroom collaboration furniture!! Thank you so much to all who have donated and who continue to share our link. I cannot wait to see the kiddos’ faces next school year when the new furniture is all set up. If you would like to donate, here is the link and thank you ALL SOOOOO MUCH!!
Congrats Jr. Beta Inductees
THINGS TO KNOW...
BOTT...Are You Ready for Battle of the Titans?!? 5/21
- All Titans should wear comfortable clothing and sneakers.
- NO running shorts for girls or boys...they are too short!
- Wear BOTT T-shirt if your child purchased one!
- Send $$$ money with your child to BOTT to purchase Kona Truck and Funnel cakes!
6th & 7th Grade Promotion & Awards Day - 5/23
ALL PARENTS INVITED - ARRIVE EARLY FOR SEATING!
6th Grade Promotion & Awards
- May 23 @ 9:30 am to 11 am in the Gym
7th Grade Promotion & Awards
- May 23 @ 12 noon to 1:30 pm in the Gym
High School Grad Walk - 5/23 @ 2:15 pm
- 1:15 PM is the GRAD Walk @ HSES, SAE, MES, VMES
- 2:15 PM is the GRAD Walk @ EPMS
8th Grade Graduation - Promotion & Awards Day -5/24
ALL PARENTS INVITED TO AWARDS & PROMOTION CEREMONY- ARRIVE EARLY FOR SEATING!
- May 24th is the 8th-Grade Graduation, Awards & Promotion Ceremony from 10 AM - 12 PM (Gym)
- May 24th is the 8th-Grade Luncheon @ 12 - 1 PM (Cafeteria) Students & Teachers Only
- May 24th is the 8th-Grade Block Party @ 1 pm - 4 PM & 8th-Grade Clap-Out @ 3:45 PM
Need Your Child Transcript? Not Returning to EPMS?
Parents if your child will not return to Elkins Pointe M.S. for the 2018/2019 school
year, please inform Ellen Walsh in the Counseling Office. It would also be most
helpful to let us know if your child is slated to go to Roswell H.S. or Milton H.S.
for 9th grade but will not attend. Thank you. (470) 254-8365 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pick Up ALL Medications from the Clinic by the end of the Year!
CLINIC MEDICATIONS Note to Parents:
- Non-Prescription medications will be disposed of if not picked up by end of school year. Prescription medications will be NOT be held. ALL MEDICATIONS MUST BE PICKED UP ON THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!
- All medications for the 2018-2019 school year will need NEW medication forms filled out. If the medication is prescribed, doctor orders and signature are required. The orders MUST match the prescription on the bottle.
NEW FORMS WILL NEED TO BE COMPLETED FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR:
- Do not wait until school has started to get doctor signatures. It can sometimes take several weeks to get forms filled out.
- Be sure that medications are in the original container and not expired.
- Keep in mind the clinic only dispenses medication that a parent has provided. If your child needs medication at school, please plan ahead.
EPMS Link for medication forms:
Additional Care Plans are required for Diabetes, Asthma, Allergies, and Seizures.
Disposal of Medications from the Clinic
Countdown to Summer...Are You i-Ready!?
The best way to improve your child's reading and math skill over the summer is to have your child access i-Ready for math and reading 2-3 days a week for about 20-25 minutes a day.
Things to know for the 2018-2018 School Year
Save the Dates...Next Year's Camp Titan Up, Info Day, etc.
Even though we have not completed this school year, we are getting lots of requests for information on 2018-2019 dates. We have just set the dates, and they should stay. However, the times and even dates may alter slightly. Please mark your calendars in pencil!
Upcoming 2018-2019 Dates...
- 7/26 & 7/27 - WEB Leader Training for Camp Titan Up (8th graders)
- 7/30 - Camp Titan Up (a.k.a. 6th-grade orientation). Rising 6th-graders, save the date for Camp Titan Up on Monday, July 30th @ 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. Our 8th-grade WEB Leaders will show you the ropes in middle school by giving tours, showing you how to open a locker, and more!
- 7/30 - Principal Fireside Chat and "Middle School 101" for 6th grade and New-to-the-school Parents @ 8:30 am to 9:30 am. This introductory workshop is everything you wanted to know about middle school but afraid to ask! The introduction will be by Principal Smith and the 6th-grade Assistant Principal. A comprehensive presentation on everything from school supplies, to what kind of shoes to wear to Information Day, and how to check-out your child for an orthodontist appointment will be given by the Parent Liaisons. This presentation is 1 hour long. it is not mandatory, but helpful to newbies!
- 8/1 - Information Day: 6th Grade @ 9:30-11:30 / 7th Grade & 8th Grade @ 1–3 pm
- 8/3 - Teacher & Staff Welcome Back Lunch by PTSA
- 8/6 - First Day of School
- 8/22 - Curriculum Night: State of the School & PTSA General Meeting
- 8/28 - "Get Ready for the 8th grade Year" Parent Meeting (English)
- 8/31 - Full Release Day - EPMS School Governance Council RFF Day
- 9/3 - Labor Day - No School
- 9/4 - "Get Ready for the 8th grade Year" Parent Meeting (Spanish)
- 9/8 - Band Startup Clinic
- 9/13 - 6th Grade "Bring Your Parent to School" Morning
- 9/20 - 6th Grade Tailgate Party
- 9/24 - PTA Reflections Contest Entries Due
- 9/25 - "Get Connected Night"
* Please Note: Dates not in bold may be subject to change.