A Newsletter from Scotland Elementary School
Week of September 26, 2022
Scotty Updates has been created to provide families and staff with information regarding upcoming events, happenings, and programs at Scotland Elementary School. Please take time each Monday to review our newsletter.
To ensure the safety of all, if you are scheduled to come into the building for a meeting, classroom event, library helper, or any other visit, you will need to fill out this form before arriving at school.
A Message from Jill & Tim
Dear Scotland Families and Staff,
I hope you are all well, and enjoyed the long weekend! This week, we will host our Scotty Sprint on Wednesday from 3:30-4:15pm (rain date, 10/12/2022). We are so excited to bring back this long standing tradition! We encourage student to wear their Scotty spirit wear for this fun afternoon! Please be sure to fill out School Dismissal Manager, so we can release your child(ren) to the sprint! This is an incredibly well-attended outdoor event, and we hope to have 100% participation!
Just a quick reminder to please send your child to school daily with a water bottle. We continue to have many students coming in asking for water.
Take care and have a great week!
Jill & Tim
Spotlight on Curriculum/Instruction 🔦
Events & Happenings 📆
Monday, September 26th:
- No school - Rosh Hashanah
Tuesday, September 27th:
- B Day
Wednesday, September 28th:
- C Day
- Scotty Sprint - Wear your Scotty spiritwear to show your school pride!
Thursday, September 29th:
- D Day
Friday, September 30th:
- E Day
- Scotty Spirit Day! Wear your Scotty spiritwear to show your school pride!
Monday, September 26th:
- No school - Rosh Hashanah
Wednesday, October 5th:
- No School - Yom Kippur
Monday, October 10th:
- No school - Columbus Day
Thursday, October 20th:
- Early Dismissal for students - 11:40am; professional learning for staff
Snaps around Scotland 📸
A Note from Our PTA
!!Action Required - Register for the Sprint!!
The Scotty Sprint is Scotland's signature event celebrating everything about being a Scotty. It's just two weeks away.
You may learn more and register for this event visit Scotty Sprint Registration; REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE! Nearly ALL students participate.
This is one of just TWO fundraisers for the PTA this year! Begin fundraising here: Scotty Sprint Fundraising. To reach our goal, you need to fundraise just $39 per student.
Net proceeds of this event help authors visit the school, in-school enrichment, supplemental STEM activities, and strengthen arts and music through supplemental education.
Information to keep handy...
Hello and welcome to a New Year in the SES Library! We are excited to once again have volunteers during Library Classes. The SES library is looking for volunteers to help with library book check out, reshelving returned books and hands-on activities. If you have time in your busy day to volunteer, the SES library would appreciate your help!
No long-term commitment necessary and it is not hard to do. If you have some time during the day and would like to be a part of the fun, here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click the link below to see our Sign-Ups by grade on SignUp.com
Fourth Grade: https://signup.com/go/mcPzzKd
Fifth Grade: https://signup.com/go/XzBEjrg
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you would like. Please be considerate of other families and choose a few spots to begin with. Once everyone has had a chance to sign up, you can go back and volunteer for any open spots. If you do not see your class listed, it means it already has a volunteer.
3.) Fill out the Visitor Form to let us know the time and day you are coming to Volunteer.
The link is: https://bit.ly/3qbV1is
Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp. Use the links here or find them on the SES PTA WEBSITE
Please contact Amy Tomasco at email@example.com with any questions.
It's not scary to help out in the LIBRARY!
⚽️ 🎼 Essentials 🎨 📚
- Each class will have one 45 minute essential per day (art, library, music, or PE)
- We will continue to follow the six day A-F day schedule
- Please find the essentials rotation below
Arrival & Dismissal 🚗
We will follow a similar drop off / pick up procedure that we did last year.
- Drop off begins at 8:30am. Please do not drop off your child prior to 8:30am as there will be no supervision at this time.
- Pick up will begin at 3:25pm.
- Each day, please have your child(ren)’s first and last name displayed on your passenger visor, and have it remain visible until your child is in the car. This needs to be bold and large enough to be visible at a distance. This is a very important step to ensure we have your child ready when you arrive.
- For the safety of both students and staff, proceed carefully and slowly through the lot.
- Please have your child exit/enter the vehicle when your gear is in the park position and is one of the cars at the front of the line designated for drop off.
- Students must exit the vehicle on the passenger side (building side) of the vehicle. Multiple children must exit on the passenger side. It is dangerous to exit/enter on the driver's side of the vehicle!
- Students need to have all of their items ready in hand and will then exit the car immediately.
- Parents, please stay in your vehicle at all times so that the process will prevent backups on Barlow Mountain Road.
- If you miss the drop off time (after 8:45 a.m.), please park in the front lot and walk your child across the designated crosswalk to the main entrance of the building. If you arrive after the drop off window and must park in the parking lot, we ask that you kindly use the crosswalk.
School Lunch 🥪
The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) advised that federal funds have been allocated for the Free School Meals for Children grant.
- Funding will support free lunches for all students in grades K-8 until funds are depleted.
- Snacks and additional items will be available through The Lunch Time POS system that allows students to purchase their lunch by entering a 5-digit code at the cash register. These items can be prepaid online at School Payment Portal Powered By LunchTime Software and at the school kitchen. Please read the letter here.
School Lunch will be available from the first day of school.
The school lunch menu is available online on the RPS website; click District Offices and click on Food Service, as well as below.
There will be no change in the payment system; all school lunch balances will roll over.
Questions in regard to Lunch Time POS can be directed to Eric Nickelson, RPS Food Service Director at 203-894-5550 x1127 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please find the lunch menu below.
School Dismissal Manager
We will continue to use School Dismissal Manager this year at Scotland. Please click below for information regarding this system. This system will be available to families in late August. A welcome letter will be emailed to families when the system is available. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!