The Wright Review
2015 - 2016 Third Grade Weekly News
Please, encourage your child to wear and bring warm clothes to school. We are going to see single digit degrees soon. We like to take the kids outside for recess as often as possible and will likely go outside until the temperature drops below 10 degrees.
Line Plot Action
We had a lot of fun working with line plots! We were able to visualize the the days getting darker and darker as we head into winter.
Place Value and Lots of Questions
What a busy week and a half! Here is a quick break down:
- GENIUS HOUR! We knocked out another week! This week, several kids discovered the ability to use videos for information. I love how they were using post-it notes to jot things down as the video played. Watching kids take learning into their own hands is by far the best part of my job!
- Computer Skills: Due to Genius Hour again, we learned how to share our Google Docs to another account. The class also practice typing and using hotkeys.
- Math: We finalized unit 5! For this unit, I decided to take two days for review. Decimals are tricky! The kids played the Kahoot review game on Friday and WOW! They did amazingly well! It was our best review this year :)
- Reading: We started talking about Main Idea. We focused on the main ideas within non-fiction reads. We initially struggled with moving away from just stating the topic and moving into complete thoughts. We are getting there!
Scholastic Book Orders
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.
Here is a look into next week:
- Math: Math Test Monday!
- Reading: Main Idea
- Writing: Research Writing - finding three details to our main concepts (it'll pair beautifully with our main idea discussion!)
- Grammar: Count and Non-Count Nouns
- Genius Hour: Finalizing our research and putting our projects together
- OLSAT Testing (3rd Grade): December 7th
- December 17th: Winter Celebration!
- December 18th: Genius Hour Presentations!
- December 18th - January 4th: Winter Break!