GVES Weekly Announcements
October 14, 2016
10/17: 5th Grade Grandfriends
10/18: HSA Meeting 7pm
10/21: Lunch Buddies
10/21: HSA Fall Fundraiser and Coupon Book Sale Ends
10/21: Garnet & White Spirit Day
10/21: 100 Book Challenge Target is 48 lines
Harlem Wizards Information
Harlem Wizards: The Garnet Valley School District will be hosting their 2nd Annual Fundraiser featuring the Harlem Wizards. Due to the overwhelming success last year, there will be two games on Saturday, November 12th in the GVHS gymnasium. Game times are 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm. All proceeds from this event will go towards the GVSD Libraries, Labs, and Makerspaces.
Purchase tickets online at http://www.harlemwizards.com/schedule-tickets/
There is still room available in all of the following VEFLS classes, and it is not too late to register. Please contact Kelly Gardler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-717-2755.
SPANISH for Grades 3&4 on Tuesdays (begins on Tues, Oct 18)
SPANISH for Grade 5 on Fridays (begins on Fri, Oct 21)
FRENCH on Thursdays (begins on Thurs, Oct 20)
ADV FRENCH on Fridays (begins on Fri, Oct 21)
GERMAN for Grades 3-5 on Tuesdays (begins on Tues, Oct 18)
Fire Safety Month
1. Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
2. Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
3. Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
4. If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
Halloween Parties--Some guidelines for Halloween costumes:
- It is best if a simple version of the costume is worn, i.e., not a lot of make-up or pieces that would be difficult for the child to put on independently.
- Students should not arrive that morning in costume or makeup.
- Please do not send costume props that are replicas of weapons (swords, knives, guns) as they are not permissible in the school setting.
- We would also appreciate your help in ensuring that gruesome costumes such as very scary masks, swirling blood, etc. are not sent to school.
- Thank you in advance for your cooperation and support.
Garnet Valley CTC Quick Tip #6
Did you know? The Delaware County PAYS Summit will be held at the Drexel Brook Conference Center on Monday, 10/17/16 with registration beginning at 8 am.
· Dr. Kerry King will speak about the risks and protective factors impacting Delaware County’s youth from a teenage brain perspective.
· Garnet Valley School District has been chosen to receive an award for our work with PAYS and CTC.
· Garnet Valley high school students will be participating in panels, which address school and community issues and mental health concerns.
They will share the activities they are doing to make our school welcoming
and affirming for all students.
Call to action… Attend the PAYS Summit on Monday, 10/17/16 or listen to the Podcast which will be posted on the GV CTC website. More information below.
All volunteers must have clearances on file at District office in order to volunteer in any area of the building. If you have obtained your clearances you must drop them off at District office in person with a valid ID before you are able to volunteer at GVES. (Note: You do not need to be cleared to attend Lunch Buddies.) Thank you for helping us keep our students safe.
NEWS FROM HOME AND SCHOOL:
Save the Date: Get ready to be transported across the Atlantic for our “Twilight in Tuscany” themed annual auction. This event is our largest fundraiser of the year and it is just around the corner. So, get your sitter booked for Friday, November 11th from 7:00pm – 11:00pm and plan to join the celebration!!!
Please contact Gretchen Adams (email@example.com) if you have any questions and/or you’re interested in getting involved!!! Invitations and ticket order forms will be coming soon!
Coupon Book: The coupon book sale is underway. The sale will run until 10/21/16. If you are purchasing a book, please send payment in with the envelope provided. If you are not interested please return the book to school. Staff members can purchase the coupon book at a discounted rate. Please contact Robin Moresi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Fall Fundraiser: How about some holiday baking fun? Order for wrapping paper and cookie dough sale are due next Tuesday October 18th. Please contact Lisa Carlin (email@example.com) with any questions.
HSA Meeting: Please join the Home and School Association for our fall meeting on Tuesday, October 18 at 7:00 pm in the GVE library. We will discuss upcoming events, volunteer opportunities and other HSA news. Your attendance and participation is greatly appreciated!
School Store - Oct. 19: The first school store of the year will be next Wednesday, October 19th. Children can shop for fun and funky school supplies between their lunch and recess. Items at the store range from 25¢ to $3.00.
Looking for more Home and School Information?
Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/GVESHSA
Information from the Office
Volunteer Clearances - School volunteers are required to have clearances on file with the District Office. More information is here.
Community Events - Community Events such as camps, clinics, performance, service clubs, spirit nights, and more are posted on our district website and updated frequently. Please check here for the latest events.
Garnet Valley Elementary School
"A Caring Community of Learners"
The mission of our learning community is to maximize the potential of all students by empowering them to do their personal best.