Surviving in the Canadian Shield
Skill: Building a fire
1. If you have waterproof matches to build a fire they would work. A lighter or Flint and steel would also work.
2. Gather wood, make sure it's dry and not wet. Also, you will need a small bundle of dry pinestraw and dry leaves. This is called Kindling.
3. To build a fire, lay the logs in a tepee shape, put the kindling under the tepee, and light it, it should catch. remember to keep feeding it and put it out.
Cherries, Blackberries, Gooseberries, Blueberries. Red and white ARE NOT SAFE TO EAT!
So, since you can't just live off berries, you must hunt. However, if you did not bring a weapon, these following steps will show you how to make one.
Skill: How to make a weapon
If you Have a knife, this should be easy. If you don't, you can just use a sharp stone.
1.Find a long branch. Strip the limbs off and the leaves off making it smooth.
2. On either of the sides cut towards the center of the end to make a point. Sharpen it as sharp as you can get.
Skill: Boiling water
If you brought a pot, just do this
1. FIll the pot up with lake water, and put it to the fire.
2.Once it comes to a boil, boil it thoroughly and wait for it to cool
Your going to need to know how to cook your meat so here's how to do it:
1. Take two sticks the same length and on stick longer than the other two
2. Build a fire, and put the two sticks the same length and put them on either side. Put the larger stick in top, and the tie the animal to it, and rest the long stick on the other two sticks. Turn until done.
Skill: Sapping a tree
This Also works as glue so you may need sap
1. Find a pine tree you know you can sap
2. Cut a deep v shape into the tree
3. it may take a long time for the sap to come out of the tree so you can tie an old water bottle onto the tree so it'll catch the sap when it comes out
Skill: Smoke signals
If you want to be saved, you need to be able to do this
1. Build a fire
2. Gather some limbs, but make sure they are big and still have a lot of green on them
3. Toss one limb on at a time, so a lot of smoke goes up.
Skill: Avoiding dangerous animals
Keep away from dangerous animals if at all possible, but if you see one here's what to do
1. If you see it at a safe distance, don't scream. It will see you and most likely attack
2. Stand perfectly still like a tree. Most likely it won't think you're a threat.
3. If you can't stand that still, roll up like a rock.
4. Never turn your back or run away from an animal. It will most likely attack
Scouting your surroundings will help you find useful things. Remember to look around and never leave anything if you find something. Because it might come in handy.
Skill: Remain calm
Don't freak out. Drink water, use these tips, and wait for help to come.