February 10, 2014
2nd Graders Enjoying the Farmers Market
Wednesday PD: Analysis of Formative Assessment Data
- After the district Math PD last Wednesday, we are back on schedule with our pd cycle. This is the 3rd meeting of the cycle, during which we analyze our assessment data on focus standard(s) and plan reteaching/interventions. Please ensure that you have done the following by Wednesday:
- Complete teaching of planned lessons on shared objective
- Conduct a formative assessment on the focus standard
- Score the assessment
- Record student names or initials in grading categories on the “pre-meeting” part of the data analysis protocol sheet. One was placed in your box on Thursday.
- Talk to any member of ILT if you have any questions. It is critical that assessments are scored and data is sorted before the meeting.
Mr. Heredia Recovering
Gilberto has been recovering and is expected to be back this week or next. We will hold a breakfast or other event to welcome him back when I know the exact day. Ms. Escobar will continue to teach his class this week.
February Goal: 10 million words!
- Esperanza scholars are reading much more this year (27,000,000 words), but we are still well below the pace we will need to reach 100 million words.
- I have challenged all students to help us read 10 million words in February (February 6 – March 6). Last year we logged one 10 million-word month (March), but we haven’t come close this year (our high is 7.3 million in October).
- Let’s all find ways to motivate students to read more. Ms. Arnold got her students excited about moving up to 2nd place in the division 1 class rankings and they logged over 300,000 words after one night of reading!
- Upper grade buddies can get K-1 students on AR, Word Club sponsors can announce exciting events coming up, teachers can set class goals, etc. Let’s share our great ideas and go for 10 million this month!
Scholars of the Week
If you have not done so, please enter your scholar of the week (who showed respect last week) by 8 a.m. This week, look for a student who shows scholarliness to celebrate next week.
Home Run Readers
At this point all students should have set their goals and signed their Homerun Readers forms. All classes are signed up to participate, however Ms. Garcia needs final numbers of students who met their reading goals by March 4. If you have any questions, please speak to Ms. Garcia. Thank you and Go A's!!!
Core Value of the Week: Scholarliness
- I show scholarliness. I strive for academic excellence.
- Demuestro escolaridad. Lucho por lograr la excelencia académica.
- Monday Meeting on the back patio at 8:30 (unless it’s raining).
- Faculty Meeting at 3:00
- Fire Drill 2:00 pm
- School Site Council: Budget Projections and Priorities for 2014-15, 3:00 p.m.
- Mr. Jacques off-site
- Cost Meeting: 8:30
- Math PD: Bring scored and sorted assessments
- Farmers Market
- ILT at 3:00 p.m.
- District Spelling Bee at 5:00 pm in the Tilden Auditorium. Alondra Gonzalez will represent Esperanza.
- Run for your Heart Fundraiser at 2:00 p.m.
- Valentine’s Day Dance Fundraiser at 3:00 p.m. (2nd - 5th graders with good behavior, e.g. no office referrals, etc.)