The CPES BobChat
September 3, 2023
What Do We Need to Know about Arrival? (Be sure to read to the end.)
Our arrival process has gotten better over the two weeks we have been in school. Here's what you need to know to continue having students come to school safely and on time. 1. Students need to be out of the cars by 7:40. Our goal is for all children to be in their classrooms ready to learn at 7:45. We simply want to maximize instructional time for our children. In order for that to happen, our students have to be out of their cars before 7:40 in order for them to walk to the main doors, walk to their classrooms, put away their belongings and enter their classrooms. It takes at least five minutes to do that from the time they exit the car. This is why we are having parents sign their child in late starting at 7:40. 2. It is most important for children to arrive safely. Yes, we want children to be on time. More importantly, we want them to arrive safely and on time. Children should not be walked across four lanes of traffic in our drives or across Cherry Road. The safest place for our students to exit their cars is on the sidewalk. Please do not jeopardize your child's safety to avoid having to sign him in late. 3. We have fifty more students than last year. We are so fortunate to have more kids in our school. That also means we have more cars in our lines and more students to transition to classrooms. 4. At this point in the year, cars that arrive before 7:25 have little problem going through the line. We know it may be difficult but cars that arrive on campus early wait less in lines and have easier drop-offs. Leaving five minutes earlier makes a big difference. 5. District, city, and state authorities continue to seek better solutions for traffic congestion. As a school, we dedicate lots of staff and effort to help our arrival and dismissal process go as well as it can. We are outside when it is 30 degrees and 100 degrees. We are there rain or shine. And, our twenty-six safety patrol kids are there, too. Our district, city and state authorities constantly search for better options to help as well. 6. Keep in mind that traffic is more congested when the weather changes (i.e. rain or fog), when the time changes (i.e daylight savings), and towards the end of each week (i.e. Thursdays or Fridays.) These are trends we see throughout the year and it is wise to be ready for them and leave a little earlier on those days. 7. By this past Friday, 98% of students arrived on time. That is certainly reason to celebrate. We appreciate your effort and your desire to have your child ready to learn in the morning. We don't want our children frustrated because they come late and don't know what to do. We want to welcome them just like we do with others who are on time. We want to reduce their anxiety by helping them know first thing in the morning what their day will look like. Last week I discussed our values of respect, responsibility and safety. When a child is in her class by 7:45, it models these traits for her and she knows punctuality is important for the rest of her life.
Strength and Blessings,
P.S. I hope you have a great Labor Day with your family.
Monday, September 4 is the last day to order Spirit Wear.
Technology Forms and Fees
Devices will be deployed soon. Be sure your forms are completed and $20 fee is paid.
CPES Spirit Wear
See below for information about ordering CPES Spirit Wear for your child. Sale closes on Labor Day, September 4.
Please see below for more information.
Please remember to complete Technology Forms in Parent Portal and to pay the Technology Fee of $20. See info below.
Notes and Reminders
1. Technology Forms and Fees--Parents, please know that personal mobile computing devices and chargers will be distributed each year only after parents/guardians and students sign the Technology Agreement and parents/guardians complete and pay the $20 Technology fee. These forms can be completed online in Parent Portal and technology fees can be paid online here: https://rockhillsc.csiepay.com/Views/Payment/Pay.aspx See button below if you still need directions to sign up for Parent Portal.
2. CPES Spirit Wear Online Store--This year, we will have an online store open three different times for Cherry Park Spirit Wear. All orders will be delivered to school within 10 business days of store close (not date of order). We will not be able to accept late orders. We will not be able to offer returns or exchanges. The online store is open from now through Labor Day, September 4. It will open again in November and in the spring. Here is the link for the CPES Online Store: Cherry Park Elementary Online Store
3. Bobcat Dash on October 27--The PTO is excited to host the 4th Annual Bobcat Dash Fun Run this October! This is our only school Fundraiser and we need everyone's help to make it successful. Please consider Sponsoring the Bobcat Dash or asking your place of employment for a Sponsorship. You can click on the Bobcat Dash Sponsor Letter button below for more information. The Pledge Forms for students to collect donations will go home at the beginning of October. Our goal this year is to raise enough money to complete the turf installation on the playground. This will benefit every student in the school. Please send all questions about Sponsorships or the Fun Run in general to the PTO at email@example.com.
Every student at Cherry Park will receive a FREE Bobcat Dash T-shirt to wear! If you have not yet done so please use this link (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe3ASdGOaRpbJz9Hg2MWQSX3iDJ1MFR_vUa3R6oB35A7qY5rA/viewform or the button below to send us your child's t-shirt size. This will need to be filled out for every child you have at CPES. Please do not submit sizes again if you have already done it. If you have any questions please email the PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. District Elementary Honors Choir for 4th and 5th Graders--Please click on the form below to find out more information if your child would like to try out for the Rock Hill District Elementary Honors Choir.
4. Dismissal Reminders--If your child is not at your car by the time cars are ready to move, please pull down to the end of the car loop, let a staff member know the child you need, and wait for your child there. Parents of 2nd-5th Graders, know that it may be easier for you to use the Caswell Car Loop to pick up your child. It is moving a little quicker for our older students. If you choose to change car loops, send a note to your child's teacher and get new car tags from the office.
5. Projects Around the School--We have a few extra projects that need to be done around the school. If you and/or your family/club/service group/small group would like to help, let me know. We have some painting (beyond the normal scope of maintenance work) to be done and some pictures that need to be hung.
6. Breakfast in the Morning--If you want your child to eat breakfast in the morning, please arrive by 7:25. It takes a few minutes to get to the cafeteria, a few minutes to go through the line, a few minutes to eat and then a few minutes to get to class. We don't want your child to miss out on important instructions and preparation for his day in his class.
This is the link to our school website and includes our Family Handbook, Attendance Guidelines, PTO Information and many more resources that can answer questions you might have.
September 4--Labor Day Holiday (No School); Last Day to Order CPES Spirit Wear
September 11--6:30 PTO Meeting
October 27--Bobcat Dash
Parent Teacher Organization--This group has three main goals: Raising funds for the school, appreciating the staff and securing volunteers as needed. The Cherry Park PTO is a 501c3 tax deductible organization. Meetings are held at Cherry Park on the second Monday of each month at 6:30 PM (right after the SIC meetings.) All parents are invited to attend. All financial records are distributed and updated at each month's meeting. Officers this year are Amanda Winters (President), Emmanuel Daniel (Vice-President), Celia Kerr (Secretary) and Michelle Dawkins (Treasurer).
Previous Newsletters for 23-24 School Year
"Did You Know that a Bobcat 'ROARS?"' August 27, 2023 https://www.smore.com/0g7qv
"What Do We Need to Remember as We Start Back" August 20, 2023 https://www.smore.com/yrt38
"Technology Forms and Fees"--August 25, 2023 https://www.smore.com/72qcg
"How Can We Work Together to Keep Everyone Safe?" August 13, 2023 https://www.smore.com/6cbtm
"How Can Checklists Help You Start a New Year?" August 6, 2023 https://www.smore.com/0jyx61
"Who Are the Newest Hires and What Are the Latest Changes with Technology?" July 30, 2023 https://www.smore.com/z6qnp
"What's the Latest News at Cherry Park" July 16, 2023 https://www.smore.com/w9pth
"Challenger Be Great Academy Update" June 23, 2023 https://www.smore.com/8hqka
"What Staffing Changes Have Been Made at CPES?" June 18, 2023 https://www.smore.com/e0vr2