Tumbleweed Times Week 5
News from Ranch 25 - September 25, 2015
First Grade Happenings
The 2015 PTA fall fundraiser will continue through Friday, October 2nd. You can order from the catalog that went home last Friday or go on line to www.genevieves.com. Out of town family and friends can participate by ordering online. Our school number is 13936.
In math this week, we focused on ways to make solving addition word problems. Some problems were "join, result unknown" and some were "join, change unknown". If that doesn't make sense to you, go to Math News: Grade 1, Module 1, Topic C to read more about it. (Please let me know if the link doesn't work.)
I will be out of the classroom on Thursday, October 1st to participate in the Solana Highland's Strategic Planning day. We will have a great guest teacher for the day! I look forward to hearing all about it on Friday.
Are you on Shutterfly?
Email Derek's dad, Wei Chen (email@example.com) if you want to view pictures, volunteer for class parties, and get the contact information of other families in Room 25.
Cowboys and Cowgirls
Check out the new pictures uploaded to our Shutterfly account.
Do you want to be Reminded?
We are up to 11 families on our Remind text service. If you want to make sure you know what's going on in the classroom, sign up TODAY!
Are you on Shutterfly?
Friday Folders & Homework
Important information went home today regarding school picture day, donations for our STREAM lab, and a fundraiser at California Pizza Kitchen.
You will notice a some useful papers have been added to your child's Friday Folder. The first page describes the weekly homework for first grade. The second page is 1-120 number chart. All students need to be able to recognize and write these numbers before they leave first grade. The third page is the correct way to write all the alphabet letters. We work on handwriting at school, but it helps if you reinforce the correct formation of the letters at home as well. (Always start at the top!) The last page is the password sheet. This page lists all the passwords you or your child will need for school related websites.
Please do not remove the sheet protectors or the pages in them. We keep these in the Friday Folder all year for reference. However, feel free to make copies of these helpful pages to keep at home.
Please look for an email early next week with a tentative schedule. If you did not get a chance to sign up at Back to School Night, please email me to let me know that you are interested in volunteering. I will contact you with openings. Thanks!!
- Library books are due on Tuesday. Your child cannot check another book out, until the first one is returned.
- Please make sure that your child is wearing appropriate shoes for P.E, which we do everyday. No Crocs, sandals, boots, or dress shoes. Thanks!!
- Sign up for the Solana Highlands Weekly Communication. It is full of information that is not always in my newsletter. You can sign up at the following link. http://sbsd.schoolwires.net//site/Default.aspx?PageID=1128
- If your child is interested in attending super-fun after-school enrichment classes, go to the link below. These classes start soon. Don't miss out! Sign up today! http://sbsd.k12.ca.us/cms/lib02/CA01001886/Centricity/Domain/237/SHFall2015Website.pdf
Next Week's Curriculum Focus
Reading Theme: Playing TogetherEssential Question: Why do you thing the author chose this topic to write about? (This is a good question to ask when reading with your child.)
Comprehension Skill: Author's Purpose
High Frequency Words: help, now, use, very
Phonemic Awareness: ending blends (-nd, -st, -nk, -ng, -sk, -ft)
Vocabulary Words: admire, challenging, charity, focus, offer
Spelling Words and Dictation Sentences:
help, now, use, very, land, sand, fast, past, sink, sing, left, twist
At camp we will play in the sand.
He can sing with the band.
Writing Genre: personal narrative
Math: Sums and Differences to 10
Social Studies: Rules and Laws
Science: Family and Family Behavior - Offspring of plants and animals look similar to their parents. Parents have behaviors that help offspring to survive.
- All School Assembly - Friday, October 2 at 8:35 AM
- Last day for Genevieve's Fall Fundraiser - Friday, October 2
- Volunteers Start - Monday, October 5
- School Picture Day - Tuesday, October 6
- PTA Movie Night - Friday, October 9 from 6:00-9:00 PM
- Halloween Parade & Party - Friday, October 30, immediately following the parade