Fragile X Syndrome
Cause/How The Child Gets It
This condition is inherited through the parents. Also it happens when part of a gene repeats more than usual on the x chromosome.
- is a gene change or mutation
- can be a carrier is you have ovarian insufficiency
- carriers also might have autism or autism like behavior
- have an unexplained intellectual disability or developmental delay as a child
- baby has a large head
- learning problems
- body doesn't make enough protein
- problems with speech or language
- not making eye contact
- trouble paying attention
- flapping hands
- afraid in new situations
- bothered by sensations like bright lights, loud noises or the way something feels
- not wanting to be touched
- long face, chin and ears
- loose, flexible joints
- flat feet
There is no cure for this condition but children who get treated early do well in life.
Medication is recommended to take to help....
- anxiety (and other mental problems)
- prevent seizures
There life expectancy is no different from a normal person.
- more common in boys
- the seizures effect 15 out of every 100 boys and 5 pout of every girl
- boys are mostly diagnosed by age 3 but since girls show less symptoms they are usually diagnosed later