PRHS Counseling Weekly Newsletter
Week of December 4, 2023
2023-24 Counseling Staff
Need to know who your counselor is? Alphabetical breakdown refers to student’s last name. Please reach out to your counselor anytime!
The Counseling Office is open Monday through Friday from 6:30am until 3pm, excluding student/staff holidays.
Need to Make an Appointment with your School Counselor?
Upcoming Event for Current 8th Graders and their Parents
Upcoming College Admission and Military Information Sessions
Do you have questions about a college of interest? Do you want to learn more about potential colleges of interest? Thinking about joining the military?
Tuesday, December 12th: US Army during all lunches in the Commons
Thursday, January 11th: Greater Atlanta HBCU College Fair during all lunches in the Commons
Check back frequently, as college and military visits are added regularly.
Upcoming Event for Current 10th Graders and their Parents
Attention Seniors! GCPS Foundation Scholarships!
Juniors and Seniors, a score on one of these tests is required for admission to most colleges (some colleges have a test-optional policy).
Attention Seniors (Class of 2024): The University System of Georgia (USG) will continue the temporary waiver of test score requirements for Academic Year 2024-2025 (Fall 2024, Spring 2025, and Summer 2025) admission at 23 of the 26 USG institutions. The temporary waiver does not apply to the Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Georgia, or Georgia College and State University. Test scores will be required for admission at these three institutions.
It is recommended that a student take both of the SAT and ACT at least once and begin testing in the spring of your junior year.
Both ACT and SAT offer free online preparation resources. For more information go to http://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/test-preparation.html and https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/practice.
Upcoming Test Dates:
Fee Waivers: Juniors and Seniors who receive free or reduced lunch qualify for fee waivers for each test. Stop by the counseling office to request a testing fee waiver.
HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship
Seniors, as well as underclassmen, can access their preliminary HOPE GPA. This information is updated after each semester (mid-January & mid-June).
· Go to http://gafutures.org and click on “My GAfutures” in the top right corner.
· Log in or create an account. Once logged in click on the blue button “My HOPE GPA” on the left side.
*A student’s social security number must be on file at PRHS in order to access preliminary HOPE calculation, as well as to receive the HOPE Scholarship*
For specific questions regarding the calculation process, please contact the Georgia Student Finance Commission at 770-724-9000.
· Transcript Request Policy: Transcripts to in-state colleges can be sent electronically for free through http://gafutures.org if the student has an account and has their SSN on file at PRHS.
Official paper transcripts for out of state colleges are $5 each and will be ready within 48 hours of the request. Paper transcripts should be ordered through mypaymentsplus.com. Students or parents must pick up the transcripts and mail themselves. The counseling office does not mail documents on behalf of students.
Electronic sending of official transcripts through the following outlets, if applicable, has a ONE TIME fee of $5, payable on www.mypaymentsplus.com:
• UGA Counselor Portal • Common Application • Coalition for College • Parchment • Naviance
· Letter of Recommendation Policy: Counselors will be happy to provide a recommendation if it is required or strongly encouraged by a college or scholarship. If you request a letter of recommendation from your counselor you must have a completed Senior Information Sheet. Please access the form on the Peachtree Ridge HS Counseling eClass page-->12th graders-->PRHS Senior Information Sheet 2023 Template. After completing the information sheet, submit it to your counselor via email. You will also need to put your counselor's name and email address in your college application in the school counselor field so that he/she has access to complete the recommendation. Remember to plan ahead! Recommendation requests should be submitted at least two weeks prior to the deadline.
· College Applications: Seniors, if you plan to apply early admission to colleges this fall, plan ahead! Deadlines are firm and colleges will not accept late applications. Some colleges require letters of recommendation as part of this process (see above). Below are application deadlines from a variety of in-state colleges:
- Georgia Tech (Georgia Institute of Technology): Early Action (non-binding): October 16 (must do for merit-based scholarship consideration); Regular Decision: January 4
- Augusta University: Early Action (non-binding): October 31; rolling admission November-July 1; Scholarship Deadline: February 1
- University of Georgia: Early Action (non-binding): October 15; Regular Decision: January 1; Foundation Fellowship Application Deadline: November 1
- Georgia State University: Early Action (non-binding): November 15. Application deadline: April 1; Honors and Scholarship Priority Deadline: November 15
- Kennesaw State University: Priority Deadline: November 1; Regular Deadline: June 30
- Emory University: Early Decision 1 (binding): November 1; Early Decision 2 (binding): January 1; Regular Decision: January 1; Emory University Scholar Programs: November 15
- Georgia College & State University: Early Action (non-binding): October 15; Rolling admission after October 15
*Always check the college’s admissions website for application procedures and deadlines
· ACT & SAT Test Scores: For the Class of 2024, the University System of Georgia (USG) will continue the temporary waiver of test score requirements for Academic Year 2024-2025 (Fall 2024, Spring 2025, and Summer 2025) admission at 23 of the 26 USG institutions. The temporary waiver does not apply to the Georgia Institute of Technology, the University of Georgia, or Georgia College and State University. Test scores will be required for admission at these three institutions.
- When submitting test scores to colleges/universities, log into your ACT or SAT account and submit the scores directly to the school in which you are applying.
PRHS End Zone
- The End Zone is located in the Media center and is a place to study, use computers for school work, and meet groups for school projects. The End Zone maintains an academic focus and is where we maintain the academic standard of excellence at Peachtree Ridge High School.
- The End zone is open Mondays through Thursdays from 2:30-4:30pm. While there is a certified teacher in the End Zone each day after school Monday through Thursday, student leaders (Head Tutors) run and operate the End Zone.
- Students need to be in the End Zone by 2:30 pm or have a pass from their teacher to enter the End Zone after 2:30 pm.
- Peer tutoring is available in the End Zone. Student tutors are trained through their national honor societies, HOPE and Beta club.
- SEE THE FLYER BELOW FOR A QR CODE TO SIGN UP FOR TUTORING!
Online tutoring through Tutor.com
Go to www.tutor.com/gcpl
[Note: You must use the gcpl link to tutor.com. You cannot use your
GCPS login to access tutor.com directly.]
Log in 1 of 2 ways:
1. Using your Gwinnett County Public Library Card
2. By entering your student ID as the Barcode and your birthday
(MMDD) as the password. (Example: February 14 birthday is 0214
3. Click "Submit"
Need help or more information? Check out this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9xBJDqb7sw
Attention Seniors: scholarship list available on eClass
Looking for enrichment or volunteer opportunities?
Need private and confidential food assistance?
The Community Assistance & Resource Effort (CARE) Closet is a confidential school-based food pantry.
Students, please stop into the Counseling Office.
Parents, appointments can be made through the Community School to shop the Care Closet in the evening. Contact Ms. Hildago or Ms. Her in the Community School at 678.512.6040/678.512.6041.
For more information visit carecloset.org
Counseling Department Contact Information
Location: 1555 Old Peachtree Road Northwest, Suwanee, GA, USA