Bryan Collegiate News
What's new this month?
March 7 - PTSO Meeting @ 6:00 in Room 101
March 13 - Daylight Savings! Spring Forward 1 hour!
March 14 - 18 - Spring Break
March 21/22 - Progress Reports sent home
March 25 - PTSO Garage Sale @ BCHS
March 25 - Bad Weather/Good Friday Holiday - No School
March 27 - Easter Sunday
March 29 - Ninth Grade Students take STAAR EOC - English I
March 31 - Tenth Grade Students take STAAR EOC - English II
Students of the Month
Freshman- Leslie Galvez and Logan Stephenson
Sophomore- Samantha Hernandez and Colton Mareth
Junior- Rosario Vega-Tirado and Alejandro Moreno
Senior- Natalie Arredondo and DJ Lee
Way to Go Runners! Proud of all of you!
5K - male 13-15 years
- Henry Boedeker - 1st
- Francisco Montanez - 2nd
5K - male 16-19 years
- Diego Ruiz - 2nd
5K - male 20-24 years
- Grant Wilde - 4th
- Tommy Roberts - 4th
1/4 marathon - male 16-19 years
- Angel Torres - 2nd
- Orlando Contreras - 3rd
- Caleb Cobb - 4th
5K - female 13-16 years
- Stephanie Sanchez - 2nd
- Skylar Todaro - 3rd
- Yanira Pena - 4th
- Emily Parker - 5th
5K - female 16-19 years
- Haily Parker - 8th
5K - female 20-24 years
- Emily Wilde - 3rd
1/4 marathon - female 40-44 years
- Amy Ceaser - 3rd
This was a great experience and we had so much fun. Our next race is on April 9th at the Kappa Alpha Theta Rock the Casa 5K. Email Mrs. Ceaser if you are interested, cost is $15 per person. firstname.lastname@example.org
BCHS at AMCHS UIL Invitational
UIL had over 30 students compete in a variety of academic and performance based contests this past Saturday at the A&M Consolidated High School UIL Invitational. We would like to recognize the following:
- Poetry Semifinalist Allyson Stephens
- 4th place Spelling Team of Angela Porter, Jasmine Dillard and Angelica Rico
- Debaters Zach Jones, Alex Sylvester and Alex Cordova on their first wins of the season
Students will compete again in the district meet on April 4th!
End of a great BCFC season!
At the conclusion of the season, Bryan Collegiate Fútbol Club held its first annual awards ceremony! The following awards were given out to very deserving individuals.
Team Comedian: Saul Almaraz
Most Likely to Brighten Your Day: Benito Diaz, Emiliano Tirado, Pablo Aguirre Rosas, and Yanira Pena
Most Improved: Benito Diaz
110% Award: Emiliano Tirado
Defensive MVP: Ulises Mendez
Offensive MVP: Diego Ruiz
Teammate of the Year: Uriel Mendez
Exceptional Leadership: Warner Collier, Uriel Mendez, and Aron Ramirez
National Honor Society Inducts New Members!
National Honor Society had its spring induction on March 1st. We inducted 5 new members. Please congratulate Audrey Didsbury, Duaa Khan, Tigist McAnally, Rosario Vega-Tirado, and Tristan White in this honor.
Running at 6:00 am is fun!
Volunteers Needed for PTSO Garage Sale!
Click here to sign up to be a volunteer!
Click here to view the PTSO facebook page!
THE PTSO NEEDS YOUR HELP!!
THE PTSO and Prom Committee will be holding a YARD SALE at the school on Easter Weekend March 25th & 26TH.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- We NEED gently used Items donated to our Sale
- We NEED Snacks/Drinks donated for the Volunteers
- * Can you pass out flyers at the school car pick-up line?
- * Can you make BIG signs to be posted on the streets?
- * Can you post flyers at your church, office or other places that will bring people in?
- * Will you post this on your social media pages?
We NEED Volunteers during the event for (One or More time slots):
- March 24th (Thursday) 6pm-8:30pm (for pricing)
- March 25th (Friday) - No School - 6:30am - 11:00am
- March 25th (Friday) - No School - 11:00am - 3:00pm
- March 26th (Saturday) 6:30am - 11:00am
- March 26th (Saturday) 11:00am - 3:00pm
If you would like more information or can help us out please email the Bryan Collegiate PTSO at Bryan Collegiate PTSO at email@example.com or contact Belinda Fikes at (979) 587-0760 or Valeri Gibbs at (979) 739-1619.
THE MARCH PTSO MEETING WILL BE HELD THE FIRST MONDAY OF MARCH (March 7th) DUE TO SPRING BREAK. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!
Are you or your student taking the AP World History Exam?
Quilting for a Cause at BCHS
Photo caption: Carlos Suarez Sthein and Dr. Joyce Blasi finish the seventh quilt that will be donated to non profit agencies.
Dr. Joyce Blasi has been a dedicated quilter for over 30 years. She brings her quilting experience and her two doctorate degrees (Reading and Learning Disabilities) to Bryan Collegiate each Tuesday. Students learn how to create unique quilts while enjoying conversation and laughter. All are welcome to attend and new members are encouraged!
Dr. Blasi believes that by teaching the students how to quilt, they will have a sense of accomplishment and giving. Students must attend ten sessions where they donate their time and effort to quilts that are going to the community. After ten sessions they are welcome to work on their own quilt that they keep for themselves.
Stop by from 4-5 each Tuesday in room 503. Beginners are welcome.
Pep Rally March 11th!
Way to Go Class of 2016!
94% of the class so far has been accepted to a 4 year university.
- The class of 2016 has been offered more than $450,000 in scholarships and counting.
- Seniors have received 144 acceptances to 32 different schools so far.
- The following are the schools where our Seniors have been accepted this year and the number of students accepted. We are so proud of this class!
- Sam Houston Sate University- 18 students
- Stephen F. Austin State- 14 students
- Texas A&M- 12 students
- Texas State- 12 students
- Mary Hardin Baylor- 10 students
- Tarleton State-9 students
- University of North Texas- 5 students
- UT-Tyler- 5 students
- Houston Baptist- 5 students
- University of Houston- 4 students
- Texas Tech-4 students
- Texas A&M International- 4 students
- University of Texas-3 students
- St.Mary’s - 2 students
- St.Edward’s- 2 students
- Baylor- 1 student
- Oregon University-1 student
- Louisiana State University-1 student
- Austin College-1 student
- University of Arizona-1 student
- University of New Orleans- 1 student
- UT-Arlington-1 student
- University of Idaho-1 student
- Welch-1 student
- Bradley-1 student
- TAMU-Kingsville-1 student
- Texas A&M-Corpus Christi-1 student
- Lamar University-1 student
- Texas Women’s College-1 student
- Johnson and Wales-1 student
- UNT-Dallas-1 student
- Coe-1 student
Volunteer at the Car Seat Checkup!
Texas A&M AgriLife Extension will perform a FREE Car Seat Checkup from 8:30 to 11:30 on Saturday, April 30th at the Bryan Towne Center (near the Bryan Target). Experts will be on hand to make sure that your children are properly seated. No preregistration is necessary. However, volunteers are needed. Please complete the form to volunteer.
Last year the TAMU AgrilLife Extension was able to open an additional three stations due to our volunteers. They also had Spanish Speakers at each station because of the abilities of our student volunteers.
Please plan to attend or participate in this event. Save lives by doing so!
For more information: http://brazosvalleyinjuryprevention.tamu.edu/
Geometry is Fun!
Geometry students in Mrs. Wilde's class participated in a Probability Carnival! Each group created a game based on probability and collected data on outcomes at the carnival. Students were then able to compare theoretical and experimental probabilities for their game.
Picture captions: Naomi Kessler, Kassandra Flores and Crystal Bonilla show off their game Golfability.
Anya Galvan, Logan Stephenson and Sarah Beery explain their game, Vowels in a Bag.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is due MARCH 15TH!
Seniors have been working on the FAFSA in PCC and 50% of our students have submitted! If you have any questions about completing the application please contact Mrs. Carreon or Mrs. Homeyer or the financial aid office at the college that will be attended. All students need to complete the FAFSA in order to receive any financial aid.
STEPS FOR COMPLETING THE FAFSA
- Apply for a FSA-ID online at FAFSA.GOV. (student and parent)
- Gather tax information and parent financial information.
- Complete the FAFSA online at FAFSA.GOV.
- Electronically sign and submit the FAFSA.
- Receive a confirmation email from FAFSA.
If you do not qualify to complete the FAFSA you will fill out the TASFA in order to receive financial aid. Please refer to the website “College for all Texans” and/or contact Mrs. Carreon for an application. It is a paper form that must be mailed in.
NHS Blood Drive!
National Honor Society will be hosting another blood drive on March 11, 2016. Anyone over the age of 16 is eligible to sign up as a prospective donor. 16 year olds need to have a signed permission slip and weigh over 122 lbs. Anyone over 17 needs to weigh over 110 lbs. Parents and guardians are welcome to donate, just email Lori Nichols (Lori.Nichols@bryanisd.org) to sign up for a time slot. Help us support our community by giving the gift of life!
April 9 - ACT
April 11 - PTSO Meeting @ 6:00 (room 101)
April 16 - PTSO Car Wash @ 8:00am (BCHS)
April 18/19 - Progress Report sent home
May 2 - Biology & US History STAAR EOC test day
May 3 - AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam (am)
May 3 - AP Physics Exam (pm)
May 4 - Algebra I STAAR EOC test day
May 9/10 - Progress Report sent home
May 12 - AP World History Exam (am)
May 13 - AP Human Geography (am)
May 13 - College Colors Day