for the Week of January 29th
Reminders from the Principal
Here is a reminder of topics we discussed in our back to school faculty meeting this semester:
1. If we want things to change the change starts with us.
2. All employees will be professional.
3. Attendance counts even for the adults.
4. Our expectations for students have to be taught and have to be consistent across the team if not grade level.
5. All teachers are expected to be on time for school and duty.
6. Hall duty does not mean standing in a huddle and talking about the students. It means actively supervising students in all areas of the building. This includes the lunchroom. Teachers do not have a duty free lunch. Teachers are expected to monitor students to the lunchroom, in the lunchroom (including the line) and on the way back from the lunchroom.
7. All students are expected to be in the classroom when the tardy bell rings.
8. No student should be allowed out of class without a pass, period.
9. Teachers and staff are expected to be on campus all day. Permission to leave campus must be given by an administrator and only if it is school related.
All teachers are required to administer a unit assessment every 4.5 weeks and they must be labeled as a unit assessment in your gradebook. These assessments must also appear in the gradebook to reflect grades for that time period. While the expectation is that all teachers will administer at least one unit test every 4.5 weeks, the total number of assessments each nine weeks is determined by the classroom teacher. With assessments counting 75% of the nine weeks grade it behooves each teacher to have more than two. All teachers are required to have spoken to or had face-to-face contact with parents of students who have an "F" in their class BEFORE the end of each 9 weeks. It is NOT the responsibility of the EX ED teacher to make those contacts for the classroom teacher, either. These are non-negotiables.
All staff are responsible for electronic communications and items shared through the google platform. A copy of the current staff handbook for HMS is on the google drive.
We will be adding additional documents as the year progresses. "I did not read my email" or "I did not know how to access the google folders" is not an acceptable excuse.
All teachers should be uploading evidence to EducateAlabama on a regular basis. Do not wait until the last minute.
Important Reminders for the Week of January 29th
Jan 29 - Feb 1 - HMS Cheer Clinic
Jan 29 - Timecards must be corrected and approved by 3 PM
Jan 30 - Feb 1 - YWCA Presentations: Healthy Relationships in 8th Grade English Classes
Jan 30 - Faculty Meetings in Conference Room
Jan 30 - Debate Competition at Samford University
Jan 31 - Club Pictures
Jan 31 - Tornado/Fire Drill 6th Period
Feb 1 - PLUS Team Meeting - English
Feb 2 - Grades posted by 3 PM
Feb 2 - Lesson plans and parent contacts due via email by 3 PM to designated admin
Feb 2 - HMS Cheer Tryouts
Feb 5 - CARE Meeting @ HMS in the Library
Feb 6 - Faculty Meetings
Feb 6 - FBLA Meeting after school in Bus Tech Lab
Feb 7 - Suicide Prevention Presentations - Ms. Porter's Classes
Feb 7 - FCCLA Meeting after school in FACS classroom
Feb 8 - Suicide Prevention Presentations - Ms. Horton's Classes
Feb 8 - PLUS Team Meetings - Science
Feb 9 - Faculty vs Student Basketball game for students who meet behavior expectations between Feb 2 and Feb 9 during 7th period
Feb 9 - Grades posted by 3 PM
PLUS Team Rotation
Feb 1st - English
Feb 8th -Science
Feb 15th - Math
Feb 22nd - Social Studies
Mar 1st - English
Mar 8th - Math
Mar 15th - Science
Mar 22nd - Social Studies
Apr 5th - English
Apr 12th - Math
Apr 19th - Science
Apr 26th - Social Studies
No PLUS Team Meetings in May
Lesson Plan, Unit Assessments & Contact Log Administrators
- 6th Grade teachers, Poe, Finch, Overton, and Owens submit to Mr. Anders via email.
- 7th Grade teachers, Gonzalez, Moreno, Evans, Williams and Channel submit to Mr. Powell via email.
- 8th Grade teachers, Cerka-Wilkes, A. Smith, Kunath, Whitfield and Richards-Broome submit to Dr. Foster via email.
Lesson Plans/Parent Contact Log Calendar
February 2 (LP Feb 5 – Feb 16, PC through Feb 1)
February 16 (LP Feb 20 – Mar 2, PC through Feb 15)
March 2 (LP Mar 5 – Mar 16, PC through Mar 2)
March 16 (LP Mar 19 – Apr 6, PC through Mar 15)
April 6 (LP Apr 9 – April 20, PC though Apr 5)
April 20 (LP Apr 23 – May 4, PC through Apr 19)
May 4 (LP May 7 – May 24, PC through May 3)
May 25 (PC through May 24)