Catcher In The Rye
1. How was the critical reception of the novel illustrative of the time period?
The Catcher in the Rye was a hit, critically and commercially, when it was published on July 15, 1951. The reviews were mixed. The book sold well. It never reached number one on the best seller lists.
2. What pressures specific to the time period influenced Holden? How are people supposed to act?
The pressures of trying to be disiplined and to not act "outside of the box".One example can be seen in The Flow Of History, Postwar Conformity and the seeds of Dissent in the 1950's article. Post war applied pressure to consumers to spend more to keep the consumer economy and the armed forces growing.
3. Explain the growth of consumer culture in the post-war era. How is this reflected in the novel?
4. What, if any, support would have helped Holden to become a well-adjusted teen?
5. How do you think the Cold War influenced Holden's culture? Focus on people, events, ideology, places, etc. Think about: Which countries were involved in the Cold War? What were they fighting/angry about?
6. How did the House Un-American Activities Commission influence everyday life for American citizens? (Meaning, what did they do that affected regular people’s lives?)
The House Un-American Activities Commission made people paranoid about someone that they knew or were close to was communist. Everyone was pointing their fingers to keep the communist accusations off of themselves. The House Un-American Activities Commission influenced everyone into thinking that anyone could be a communist.
7. Identify at least 5 ways WWII impacted American culture. What happened as a result of the war?
World War 2 proved to be a stimulus for the American economy. 17 million new jobs were created and unemployment was virtually wiped out. Federal power during the war increased which gave less power to state laws. The war provided an opportunity for women to get involved in the world of work that would not have otherwise been available. The war also provided an essential platform for the black civil rights movement later in 1950’s and 1960’s.
8.Is Holden an early example of the "Counter-Culture Cycle"? Why/why not?
Yes, because he isn’t trying to follow under any sort of impression that their culture has put them under.
Number your paper 1 - 10. Answer True or False to each question or statement.
1. Holden wears a hunting hat.
2. Holden is an adult.
3. Holden attended Harvard University.
4. Stradlater was Holden's best friend.
5. Holden's brother was named Allie and passed away.
6. Holden has 2 brothers and one sister.
7. Holden's brother works for Hollywood.
8.Holden left his campus after a fight.
9. Phoebe is Holden's mom.
10. A man sat next to Holden on a bus.
Answer to True or False question or statement.