District-wide ENews Notes
October 7, 2021
- Fri., Oct. 8 - Professional Development Day - Staff in Session, Students Not in Session
- Sun., Oct. 10 - Youth Trophy Cup Run, Middle School, 1 p.m.
- Mon., Oct. 11 - Columbus Day - No School
- Tues., Oct. 12 - Board of Education Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Thurs., Oct 14. - District-wide Early Release and Emergency Notification Drill
- Thurs., Oct. 14 - HF-L PTA Meeting, High School, 8 p.m.
- Tues., Oct. 19 - Safety Committee Meeting, Location: TBD, 3:45 p.m.
- Tues., Oct. 26 - Board of Education Meeting, 7 p.m.
- Wed., Oct. 27 - Music Booster Club Meeting, H.S. Chorus Rm., 7 p.m.
- Sat., Oct. 30 - Community Band Concert, District Aud., 7 p.m.
**NOTE: As the school year begins, please recognize that the District's online calendar will house the most accurate District and building events.
What are the top three (3) reasons that you visit the District's website?
The Honeoye Falls-Lima Central School District needs your input on "What are the top three (3) reasons that you visit the District's website?". To gather your feedback, the District is using a tool called ThoughtExchange. All of our voices matter, so your participation is crucial and valued.
Click here to participate: https://tejoin.com/scroll/674195571
You'll be asked to respond to one open-ended question, consider and assign stars to some of the ideas shared by others (20 to 30 is ideal), and learn what's important to the group.
Your thoughts and stars are confidential. You can come back as often as you'd like to participate and, in fact, we ask that you do come back to star some of the new ideas shared since you first participated. The ratings will help us understand the most important areas to focus on.
Introducing Club Paper
BIL Basketball Registration Now Open
Inside HF-L Fall 2021
HF-L Hosts Gerry Petersen-Incorvaia Ph.D., October 6th - 8th
Dr. Petersen-Incorvaia guides the tight alignment of rigorous curriculum, balanced assessment, and targeted interventions and enrichments. He does this work by ensuring that collaborative teams of teachers, administrators, and other stakeholders engage with this important work.
Chow Hut Needs Volunteers
Cougar Vacation Care Available
Cougar Vacation Care is available for students in grades K-5 Friday, October 8 from 6:30 am - 6:00 pm located at Manor School. Registration is available by going to:
Any questions please contact the Community Programs Office at 624-7068.
HF-L BOE Seeking Committee Members
If you are interested in becoming a member of this committee, please email, Rhonda Schaefer at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Friday, October 15, 2021.
HF-L Cougar Apparel Sale
HF-L Hosts Anne Beninghof October 13th & 14th
Renowned author and co-teaching expert, Anne Beninghof is scheduled to visit the District on October 13, 2021, and October 14, 2021. Beninghof will be in the District to observe current co-teaching models and provide embedded co-teaching support.
Co-teaching is an instructional approach for reaching the wide range of student needs in today’s inclusive classrooms.
Beninghof is an internationally recognized consultant and trainer with more than 33 years of experience in the field of education. Currently, she co-teaches part-time to design instruction for heterogeneous classrooms. In both her presenting and writing, Beninghof focuses on creative, practical solutions for more effectively including students with diverse learning needs in general education classrooms.
Beninghof has authored several books including Co-Teaching that Works: Structures and Strategies for Maximizing Student Learning, Super Strategies for Everyday Teaching, Specially Designed Instruction: Increasing Success for students with Disabilities, Caffeinated Learning: How to Design and Conduct Rich, Robust Professional Learning, and more.
Beninghof has conducted several Zoom sessions with HF-L staff in the past however this will be the first time she can come to the campus to work directly with teachers in classrooms.
HF-L Partners with Paper Tutoring Service
On the September 14, 2021, Board of Education meeting, the board received an update on the District’s partnership with Paper, a digital tutoring service. This service is available to all HF-L students in grades 4-12 and will provide free, unlimited access to virtual tutoring sessions. These sessions are 1:1 and are available 24 hours a day. Students can access this using their ClassLink portal.
Using Paper, students get homework help, writing feedback, and study support on demand. Teachers gain insights into learning gaps. Administrators have visibility into where support is needed.
Mendon Public Library
Mendon Public Library is open M-Th, 9 am - 8 pm. Friday and Saturday, 9 am - 3 pm.
Upcoming Weekly Events:
- Tuesday Story Time at the Gazebo, 10 am, Rain or shine, bring your toddler for stories, songs, and simple crafts.
- For Adults - Join us Tuesdays now through November, from 12:12 – 12:52 PM, to watch a book review on the “big screen” at Mendon Public Library. No reservation is needed. We will be showing the Fall 2021 Books Sandwiched In book reviews, provided by the FFRPL (Friends and Foundation of Rochester Public Library).
Upcoming Special Events:
- Braiding Sweetgrass/ Rochester Reads Event: Tour Wild Hill Farm (Field Trip) Mon 10/11/2021 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM.
- Card Making Class with Joan Tue 10/12/2021 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
- Medicare Info Session with Excellus Mon 10/18/2021 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Braiding Sweetgrass Event Streamed Live at Mendon Public Library Wed 10/20/2021 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
- Sit n' Stitch Wed 10/27/2021 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM Call to sign up 624-6067
HF-L Youth Lacrosse
Cougar Hoops Registration
Beginner Hockey (Ages 4-9)
NYSWYSA Free Soccer Event
New York State West Youth Soccer Association (NYSWYSA) is focusing on an initiative to engage children in healthy activities by staging a free day of soccer in the fall.
NYSWYSA will run a free soccer event in Rochester/Webster to introduce the children to soccer in hopes to get them involved in the sport.
The event is completely free, and each participant will receive a gift (small soccer ball, water bottle, drawstring bag).