Rockport High School
Viking News - The Week of 11/7/2022
Happy Friday, RHS Students!
That's a wrap! It's hard to believe we are a quarter of the way through the school year. This past week has been a whirlwind as we conclude the first quarter and look forward to upcoming plays, concerts, athletic events and so much more. Today, the majority of our juniors spent the day at Sturbridge Village as part of their US History classes.
Come out in support of the RHS Drama Llamas as they present three performances this coming weekend!
Friday, November 4th @ 7pm in the John Lane Auditorium
Saturday, November 5th @ 7pm in the John Lane Auditorium
Sunday, November 6th @ 2 pm in the John Lane Auditorium
The Boys' Varsity Soccer team will be playing under the lights tonight (Friday, November 4th) at 6 pm! Pack the Track in support of our tourney tourney 💪🏆
Here's to a great short week ahead...
Here's a look at the Week Ahead...
11/7 - Career Day 8:00 am - 10:30 am
11/8 - No Assembly - Long B block to make up for some of the missing time due to Career Day
11/9 - Orchestra Summit Student Performance (F Block)
11/9 - RPS Orchestra Summit (Grades 4-12) @ 6 pm in the AUD
11/10 - Report Cards Available in Aspen
11/11 - No School (Veteran's Day)
11/17 - RMS/RHS Jazz Night @ 6 pm (The Shalin Liu Performance Center)
11/23 - 1/2 Day before the Thanksgiving Holiday
Career Day is Back!
On Monday, November 7th, RHS DECA is hosting the Career Day event for all students from 8:00 -10:30 am. We have over 40 professionals signed up including alumni of RHS.
We will kick off the morning with a panel presentation of RHS Alumni in the Auditorium at 8 am; followed by two individual sessions selected by the students based on their areas of interest. Students had over 40 different professions to choose from. A huge thank you to Mr. Larsen and the RHS DECA program for coordinating this experience for our students.
Important Senior Dates for Your Long-Term Planning...
Thursday, May 25th: Senior Showcase at The Shalin Liu Performance Center
Friday, May 26th: Last day of school for seniors (Exams may be built into the final few days of school. Details will be forthcoming as we get closer to the date).
Tuesday, May 30th - Friday, June 2nd: Senior Week! All seniors are expected to attend graduation rehearsals from 8am - 10:30 am that week. Evening events are scheduled for the majority of nights that week. Stay tuned for details to come.
Tuesday, May 30th: Athletic Awards Night
Wednesday, May 31st: Senior Banquet 6pm-8pm @ The Elks
Friday, June 2nd: RHS Graduation @ 5 pm
Weekly Assembly - Theme of the Month:
Developing Inclusive & Authentic Leadership that Inspires Change
Rockport PTO Holiday Fair
The Rockport PTO is hosting the annual Holiday Fair on November 19th. This is a great opportunity for community service hours. If you are willing/able to help set up the tables on Friday, November 18th, right after school, and taking the tables down when the fair is over at 2:30 on Saturday, November 19th, please fill out the form below.
Students/Families - Help is needed in a variety of arenas. If you are willing to help, please fill out the form below. There is a need for someone to spearhead the creation of the gingerbread houses. The PTO will provide all the details on this task if you are interested. If noone is able to commit to this part of the day, it will not run this year. Please step up to assist if you can!
Rockport Rotary Youth Exchange Opportunities
Interested in traveling abroad as part of a Youth Exchange Program? Rockport Rotary is offering a variety of summer and school-year opportunities. For more information, including application and deadline information, please visit their website at Rye7930.org
We are excited to begin registration for the NSCC Spring 2023 "After School" Early College Courses online and in-person starting the week of January 30, 2023! These courses are free and transferable for both high school and college credit. We are thankful for our partnership with North Shore Community College and looking forward to supporting our RHS students. There are a limited number of spots for each class, so spots are "first come first served" and are open to ALL students who meet the proficiency requirements.
Introduction to Marketing (online)
Introduction to Psychology (online)
Introduction to Criminal Justice (in-person on Lynn campus)
Introduction to Digital Media Literacy (hybrid: online and in-person on Lynn campus)
Medical Terminology for Spanish Speaking Students (online)
Computer Aided Design: AutoCAD (in-person on Lynn campus)
Stop by RHS Guidance for more Information or email email@example.com
Winter Sports Registration is Now Open!
Please click the link below to register for winter sports:
RPS Job Opportunities
- The Rockport Public Schools seek to hire full-time and substitute bus drivers. Please see the RPS Bus Driver Posting for details.
- The Rockport Public Schools seek to hire Cafeteria workers. If you are interested in applying for the position, please send your resume and supporting materials to Deborah Nokes via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the Health Office...
The Department of Public Health and the Massachusetts Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics want to remind parents and families about steps to take to prevent illness and stay healthy this season:
- Vaccinate your children ages 6 months and older against influenza as soon as possible.
- Vaccinate your children ages 6 months and older against COVID-19; children 5 and older who had their primary series more than 2 months ago should receive an updated COVID-19 booster as soon as possible.
- Remember, you can get a COVID-19 vaccine and flu shot at the same time.
- If your infant has been offered treatment with protective antibodies due to their prematurity or another condition, keep on schedule with their monthly treatments.
- Practice hand hygiene frequently with soap and water or hand sanitizer. Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, or if a tissue is not available, cover them with an elbow, not a hand.
- Clean high touch surfaces in your home frequently with household disinfectants.
- Keep children home from daycare or school who have fever, especially with a cough, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, congestion, runny nose, or sore throat, until they are fever-free for 24 hours without medications that reduce fever.
- Avoid social gatherings if you or your children are ill.
- Contact your pediatrician or healthcare provider if you believe your child needs medical care. Your provider can offer advice on whether your child needs to be evaluated in person, tested for COVID or flu, and the best location (doctor’s office, urgent care, emergency room) for care.