P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
Week of March 27th and March 31st
A Few Updates:
- We enjoyed a virtual STEM Night with K-2 students. See some of our photos below. It was a great night hosted by Mr. David and the STEM club!
- 4th grade Dancing Classrooms in-person performance was on March 21st. See photos below.
- We need to hear from YOU!! Please fill out the NYC School Survey. We use these responses to help us as we plan for the future. Please see the instructions below. Make your voice heard!
- We need you!!! As the weather gets warmer, we could use some help from families during lunch and recess. All family members can volunteer to help with lunch and recess at the Main building and the Annex. You can contact Dr. Tobing-Puente if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Follow our PTA on Instagram:
PS188Q PTA (@ps188qpta) • Instagram photos and videos
Feel free to reach out to any of us if you have any questions:
Mrs. Perez-Fung- Parent Coordinator email@example.com
Mrs. Nartowicz- Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Figueroa- Principal email@example.com
NYC School Survey
Thank you to the families who have already filled out the survey. As of today, Tuesday, March 24th, only 51% of our families have filled out the survey. The survey period ends on Friday, March 31st. Please take a moment to complete the survey. Please take a moment to complete the survey. It is important because it gives us a snapshot of how we are doing. For more information please follow this link www.nycschoolsurvey.org.
If you are unable to find the paper survey, please follow the link below to take the survey. All you need is your child’s 9-digit OSIS (Student Identification Number) number. When asked for the access number, enter a lowercase “f” followed by their child’s nine-digit OSIS number (see example below). This will bring you to the survey.
Take the 2021-2022 NYC School Survey NOW!(Open external link)
OSIS (ID): f123456789 (example)
A paper copy along with a self-addressed stamped envelope was sent home on Monday, February 13th for families who would prefer to fil out a paper copy. If you choose to fill out the survey online you do not need to fill out the paper copy. Please be reminded, if you have multiple children, you will need to fill out a survey for each child.
Thank you in advance for helping us to better our school.
3rd to 5th Grade Families--NYS Testing Information
Follow the PTA on Instagram!
Parent Workshop with Mrs. Hollis
Teaching Kids Personal Responsibility and Inclusiveness
Updating Student Bathrooms With Positive Affirmations
4th Grade Dancing Classrooms Performance
K-2 Virtual STEM Night
K-2 students enjoyed a night of making their own melted snowmen snow globes, building straw houses, brewing their own slime and much more. Thank you to Mr. David and the STEM club for organizing this great event!
Principal For A Day
This week we had one student from grades 1-5 help Mrs. Figueroa do her job as P.S. 188s principal. They had a lot of fun helping her and exploring how Mrs. Figueroa does her job. They learned a lot about what being a principal is about.
PTA Empower Our Children Campaign Needs Your Donations--Check Out Attached Flyer
Spring Spirit Days
Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa Presentation
Teachers and Writers Collaborative
Limericks from Madeline in 3-216
There was a girl named Pearl
Who gave her spins a whirl
But then she tripped
And then she flipped
So she never gave her spins a whirl
There was a boy named Ben
And he had a hen
But it had painful pecks
And bit everyone’s necks
So Ben abandoned the hen
There was a man
Who opened a can
But a fish flopped around
And another fell to the ground
So the man closed the can
Teachers and Writers Collaborative
Horse-shaped piece, why do you jump?
Why are you bound to this L-shaped movement?
On the back line you charge
capture all the enemies
if you're a horse jumping, why can't you go everywhere?
He protects his majesty
sacrificing and protecting is his role
under his thick skin is the caring for his master
under his fierce neigh is the soft grunt
clomp, clomp the hoofs go
fierce as a warrior, brave as a hawk
tracing all over the battleground
winning and losing battles, nothing hurts its pride
fighting to the last of its breath
District 26 Parent Workshops
- March 27th and 28th: PTA Sponsored Planetarium in gymnasium
- March 29th: NYC Learning Standards: ELA and Literacy K-5 in D26 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- March 30th: 1-119 Trip to Cunningham Park; Basketball home game P.S. 205 vs P.S. 188; P.S. 188Q Blooms Parent workshop 4:00-6:00 p.m. at Main Building
- March 31st: Student DEI meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library; Graduation Committee Meeting 8:10 a.m. in student cafeteria; Kids Heart Challenge Kick-Off and Assembly; Last day of NYC School Survey
- April 3rd: NYC Learning Standards: Math Talk and Routines in D26 via Zoom
- April 4th: Safety Meeting @ 7:30 a.m.; SLT Meeting 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- April 6th to April 16th: Spring Recess
- April 6th: Passover begins
- April 9th: Easter Day
- April 11-13th: D26 Mindful Mornings Workshops via Zoom 9:30-10:30 a.m.
- April 17th: Return to school
- April 18th: Parent DEI Meeting 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- April 19th: NYS ELA Test Grades 3-5; 2-202 to Queens Farm; PTA Meeting via Zoom
- April 20th NYS ELA Test Grades 3-5
- April 21st: No School Eid-al-Fitr
- April 22nd: Earth Day🌎
- April 23rd: PTA Sponsored Clothing Donation in Main playground
- April 24th: PreK B8 Queens Farm in classroom visit
- April 25th: 2-204 trip to Queens Farm; PreK B9 Queens Farm in classroom visit
- April 26th: Administrative Assistant's Day; 2-203 trip to Queens Farm
- April 27th: Take Your Child to Work Day
- May 2nd: NYS Math test Grades 3-5
- May 3rd: NYS Math test Grades 3-5; SLT 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Math 5th: Safety Meeting via Zoom @ 7:30 a.m.
- May 8th to May 12th: Return All Library Books; Teacher Appreciation Week
- May 17th: Last Day of Wednesday Self-Sustaining After School; PTA Meeting @ 7:00 p.m.
- May 18th: Last day of Morning Library
- May 25th: Last Day of Thursday Self-Sustaining Afterschool; P.S. 188Q Art Show and Chorus Concert @ 5:30 p.m.
- May 29th: No School- Memorial Day
- May 31st: STEM Night for Grades 3-5