August 10, 2023
Hello Hornet Families!!!
MONDAY, AUGUST 14TH IS THE BIG DAY!!! I hope you all are as excited as we are to have your students return to school. I absolutely LOVE my staff and everything they contribute to our campus but there is something about having our students back in the building that brings me JOY. The first days of school are truly special for all of Kealing's staff.
We will typically send out our newsletter Sunday evenings, however, this edition is coming to you early so that you will have important information to help you and your student usher in the new school year.
We look forward to welcoming all our HORNETS into our doors Monday, August 14th.
- August 11 - Student Registration - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- August 12 - Kealing Family PTA Meet-up - 8:30 am - 11:30 am
- August 14 - First Day of School
- August 24 - Volleyball vs. Small
- August 30 - Back to School Night - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- August 31 - Volleyball vs. Murchison
- September 4 - NO SCHOOL - Labor Day
- September 6 - Football vs. Small
NEW FAMILY ORIENTATION
If you were unable to attend last week's sessions, you can access the presented slide deck here to see what was covered.
KEALING'S BELL SCHEDULE
FALL CLASS SCHEDULES
Priority One | First Week of School - schedule changes only for the following:
- Missing class periods in your schedule | you are missing a class period entirely - example: you have A1 and A2, but not an A3.
- Double Cores | For example, you have two math classes.
- A core course you have already completed in a previous year, or you are enrolled in a wrong grade level course.
Priority Two | Wednesday, August 16 | Teachers’ Assistants
- 7th & 8th GRADE STUDENTS ONLY
- Teachers may request up to 2 TAs per class period. TA forms must be signed by the teacher and parent and submitted prior to the designated deadline.
- TA forms will be available via the Counseling BLEND page or in the Counseling Office beginning Wednesday, August 16th. They are due by the end of the day on Monday, August 21st, and MUST be signed by hosting teacher and parent.
Priority Three | Second Week of School
- Electives that were NOT in your TOP 10: You can REQUEST a schedule change but only a lateral move (ex. B7 to another B7)
- HOW TO REQUEST A CHANGE: During the second week of school, beginning on Tuesday, August 22nd students will complete an Elective Change google form by Friday, August 25th. The form will close at 3pm on 8/25.
- Elective course changes can only be lateral, ex: B7 to B7 and subject to availability.
Changes will only be considered for those NOT in your top 10 choices from your choice sheet.
Hi Hornet Families!
We're so excited to welcome your students to campus on Monday, August 14. In order to better support you and our learners, we're asking families to please fill out the following survey for your student's grade level. (If you have students in multiple grades, please fill out one survey for each student.) Your responses will be shared with all of your students' teachers and will help us better support your students' learning!
BACK TO SCHOOL PHOTOS
We want to see our Hornet's smile. Share your back-to-school joy with us by sharing your students first day of school photos. We will post them on our social media platforms as we celebrate our students "Thriving in the Hive". Photos will also be shared with our Yearbook sponsor.
Add your student's back-to-school photo here.
There are a few days left for our students to complete their summer assignments. Please check with your student to make sure they have completed and are prepared to submit their assignments the first week of school. Not all teachers will collect the assignments the first week of school, but it is best the assignments are done so students do not become overwhelmed completing summer and newly assigned homework.
You and your student can access the summer assignments and submission timelines by clicking here.
Students will be assigned a district chromebook during the third week of school.
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
No registration is required.
AISD STUDENT SUCCESS GUIDE
The Austin ISD Student Success Guide (Student Code of Conduct) is now available on the Austin ISD District website for students, parents, and guardians to review. One important legislative update is that ALL e-cigarettes (THC and Tobacco) are prohibited. House Bill 114 requires a student to be placed in the District Alternative Education Program (DAEP) if the student possesses, uses, is under the influence, sells, gives, or delivers marijuana, THC, or an e-cigarette (new) while on campus, within 300 feet of school property, or at a school-related event. Under Austin ISD guidelines, this is a 20-day DAEP placement. Parents and guardians are strongly urged to talk to their students about this new policy and review the Student Success Guide to help keep our schools safe for students and staff. For resources to use when talking with your student about the harmful effects of e-cigarettes visit https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/.
More information on immunizations requirements and/or exemption forms can be found by visiting AISD's Health Services and Nursing website.
NEW & RETURNING STUDENT REGISTRATION
You can access AISD's Student Enrollment here.
Kealing 7th and 8th grade students - We will begin football practices on August 14th, the first day of school. Practices will be held from 3 - 5:00 pm on the field behind our school. It is important to know that all athletes must have a sports physical on file and complete 11 football practices before competing in a football game.
Come ready to learn more about the game and proper techniques while having fun.
For more information you can visit the Kealing XC website HERE
And you can fill out the Registration Form HERE
Excited for the season,
The family needs assessment is a tool to obtain information for determining types of resources and learning opportunities. It is important that family choice, interests and needs are considered in planning and mapping of resources.
The survey below will address some needs commonly expressed by families, there is also a space for you to describe other needs/topics not included. The information you provide through this form will be kept confidential. Kealing's Parent Support Specialist will use the results to determine services and resources that will benefit our families.
KEALING FAMILY MEET-UP
We hope you are as excited as we are for the upcoming school year at Kealing Middle School. Our PTA grade-level ambassadors are thrilled to invite all Kealing families to a fun meet-up event on August 12th.
Central Market Meet-up - August 12
- Location: Central Market playground, 4001 N Lamar Blvd
- 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM: 6th-grade students and parents
- 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM: 7th-grade students and parents
- 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM: 8th-grade students and parents
This event is an excellent opportunity to meet your classmates, make new friends, and get to know the wonderful parents in our school community.
KEALING PTA SPIRIT WEAR
Online Kealing Sprit Wear orders HERE can be accepted starting as early as 1PM on August 3 for those parents that wish to order during/before/after the 3pm Zoom orientation.
Our first on-campus sales days will be the first Thursday and Friday of the month - September 7 & 8 in the cafeteria during all lunch periods. All online orders can be picked up by students at that time. We also offer delivery to door for $5 and free adult pickup for online orders. See the order form for details.
BACK TO SCHOOL GIVEAWAY
Please share with families within the Kealing community.