LoES Eagle News
March 30, 2018
A Message from our administrative team
Greetings Longfellow Parents and Families,
Despite the snowy start to the season, Spring is here and we hope that everyone enjoys the (shortened) Spring Break. We are quickly approaching the end of the third quarter of the 2017-2018 school year. Fourth quarter will bring assessments, field trips and other end of year events. This weeks newsletter includes many details regarding a number of things that have taken place over the past couple of weeks. Additionally, there are many events happening now and in the near future at LoES. Please be sure to mark your calendars for the different activities and events happening next month. We look forward to welcoming our students back on Wednesday, April 4th.
LoES Administrative Team
In collaboration with our PTA, we kicked off our Read-a-thon this past Wednesday, March 28th. Please review the Read-a-thon materials we sent home in your child's Wednesday folder. They include instructions, their reading tracker, and their pledge sheets.
At our assembly we introduced the website 99Pledges where they each have their own link and web page. Please share the link to your child's page!
To find your child's link go to:https://99pledges.com/fund/longfellowreads2018
When we return to school on Wednesday, April 4th we will celebrate the spring and our Read-a-thon with spirit days.
- Wednesday will be tie dye day.
- Thursday is dress as your favorite character from a book day.
- Friday is Beach Bum day. No flip flops or bathing suits, please. Be sure to bring your floral-print shirt, hat, and sunglasses.
Hands Around Longfellow
Congratulations to our Jungle Book cast!
- Friday, March 30th through Tuesday, April 3rd - HCPSS Schools and Offices closed for Spring Break
- April is Math Month - see details below
- Thursday, April 5th - Henry's Bookstore open for students
- Wednesday, April 11th - Learning Party Series (1 of 4)
- Friday, April 13th - LoES Spirit Day - Dr. Seuss
- Friday, April 13th - Half day for students - end of quarter 3 marking period
- Wednesday, April 18th - Learning Party Series (2 of 4)
- Thursday, April 19th - Henry's Bookstore open for students
- Monday, April 23rd - PARCC Assessments begin (see testing dates below)
- Tuesday, April 24th - 4th grade field trip to Walters Art Museum
- Wednesday, April 25th - Learning Party Series (3 of 4)
- Wednesday, May 2nd - Learning Party Series (4 of 4)
Click HERE to view the LoES Community Calendar for future events
News & Notes
April is math month - students have previously received math activity "Bingo" boards in this week's Wednesday folders with activities for students to complete during the month of April.
Bingo Details: Students will work to complete math activities at home in order to compete 5 in-a-row on their game boards.The bingo boards have numbers and then corresponding activities on the back. There are some easier activities to encourage students to start completing a bingo and more challenging ones if they are going for multiple bingos.
Prizes: For each "bingo" students achieve they will be entered to win a prize. There will be one winner per grade once April is over. The calendars are due May 1st. The winner from each grade can choose from a "math lunch bunch" (with our Math Support Teacher and 2 friends), a rubix speed cube (small for primary/reg. size for intermediate) or a math card game.
To get your students motivated you are invited to complete one of the tasks with your students at home each night. Thank you for getting our students excited about math month!
Testing Season is Here - as we move into the month of April, students across the grade levels will be engaging in a number of assessments including PARCC and the Spring administration of the Reading and Mathematics MAP assessments. What can you do to help you students do their best? Refer to the following tips shared by the National Association of Elementary School Principals. - Click here to download the PDF.
PARCC Assessment Dates
Grade 5 - Reading - April 23rd through April 26th - 9:00 am to 11:00 am
Grade 5 - Mathematics - May 7th through May 10th - 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Grade 4 - Reading - May 7th through May 10th - 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Grade 4 - Mathematics - May 14th through May 17th - 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Grade 3 - Reading - April 30th through May 3rd - 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Grade 3 - Mathematics - May 21st through May 24th - 9:00 am to 11:00 am
- Kindergarten Registration - Parents/guardians of children who will be five as of September 1, 2018 must enroll their children in kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year. HCPSS is now offering parents the opportunity to begin the enrollment process online, followed by completion of the registration process at your child’s school. Parents/guardians are not required to register online and may elect to complete the full registration in person. Please check our online School Locator to determine what school your child will attend. Additional details about online registration can be found here.
- Making Summer Vacation Plans? - All 4th grade students can get free access to National Parks throughout the US for a year. Includes everyone in the vehicle. Get more information here.
LoES PTA Corner
- Please follow us on Facebook (Longfellow Elementary School PTA)
- Please consider using the LOES PTA AmazonSmile link: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7111263 when doing your online shopping!
- Certifikid (www.certifikid.com) offers many deals on family and kid-only entertainment. Use promo code "LOES" at checkout for any purchases $30 and over to receive $5 off. The best part is Longfellow ES PTA will also receive $5 for every purchase made!
- Last day for plant sale orders is Thursday, March 29th!!
- The Read-a-Thon will continue through April 16th.
- The PTA Spring Fair Committee is looking for volunteers for the Spring Fair! Saturday, May 12th. Volunteer opportunities include: Set-up/take-down, games, concessions, silent auction, staff raffle/basket organization, ticket sales, advertising, and more! Please contact Brooke Dalesio email@example.com or Lisa Wynne for more info.
- One of our biggest fundraisers for the year, the Silent Auction, happens during the Spring Fair! The Silent Auction helps the PTA meet its budgetary goals so we can continue our support of the students and teachers. Silent Auction donation solicitations will start soon. If you know of any business that may be interested in donating any services or goods, please have them contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also more than happy to take personal donations of gift baskets, gift cards, or cash to use towards the Silent Auction. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Please visit Community News and Programs on the HCPSS website for all announcements of upcoming events and programs sponsored by non-profit organizations. The button above will redirect users directly to the Community News & Programs website.