CB West High School
West Times Newsletter 10.26.2020
NEWS FROM THE GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Your counselors, Mrs. Bagnick and Mrs. Corr, will host a Live Virtual Information Session this Thursday evening, October 29, 2020 at 6:30 pm. Topics will include a general High School Timeline, Grades, and Tips for Academic and Personal Success. There will be an opportunity to ask questions (via Chat). Parents and Students are encouraged to join us!
Thinking about college? Planning your career? Check out the PACAC Keystone Virtual College Exploration program, details listed below, as well as on our College Information Page. Also, be sure to visit our Class of 2022 page for your junior testing schedule and timeline.
Forget the STEPS for applying/sending transcripts? Visit the College Application Process page.
Need some help applying to College or sending transcripts? Every Thursday at 2pm, Mr. Curtis and Mrs. Dallam are available for "drop in" help! This is open to all students, and will occur weekly using the same link (see below):
+1 412-219-4136 United States, Pittsburgh (Toll)
Conference ID: 970 805 317#
District Financial Aid Info Session
- A reminder to attend the virtual FAFSA WORKSHOP on Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 6:30 PM. This will help students and families who want more information about how to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This workshop will also be presented by Fran McKeown from PHEAA, and she will take questions at the end. Students must REGISTER AT THIS LINK, and they will be sent an invitation/link to join the real-time event.
- The CBSD Financial Aid Info Session was held last week, and we’re so grateful to all who participated! If you missed the presentation from Fran McKeown, you can watch a recording of the session, or view the power point presentation on the Guidance Financial Aid page.
News from Bucks County Community College
BCCC is hosting Open House October. Juniors and Seniors, and their parents, are encouraged to check out their Open House October website, which has videos/virtual tours, links and information about programs, majors, admissions, financial aid, and more. There’s also a Virtual Parent/Guardian Night on Thurs, Oct 29th at 7pm, designed to help parents make the best choice possible for their students.
The Central Bucks West Tutoring Academy will continue to provide Peer Tutoring on a virtual platform. There are several tutors available for academic help in many core classes. If your student is in need of peer tutoring, please have them contact their school counselor or Mrs. Bagnick at email@example.com. We will assign tutors based on availability at the time.
Virtual College Exploration Program
All PA students have access to the Keystone Virtual College Exploration Program. The Program gives students virtual access to over 300 sessions, covering topics about colleges, careers, and the skilled trades. You may register for as many sessions as you’d like, and these are live, interactive sessions with college admissions counselors and other professionals. See our College Information Page for more information, including the session schedule and registration links.
CB West Parent Council
We look forward to continuing our partnership with parents through the 2020-2021 Central Bucks West Parent Council. Membership to the council is open to all interested CB West parents.
Meetings will be held virtually for the time being. Meetings begin at 9:00 AM and conclude at 10:30 AM.
Please note: If you are accessing the Teams link on an iPhone or Mac, you will need to download the Teams app first. The web version will not work for Safari.
November 18, 2020
January 20, 2021
February 24, 2021
March 24, 2021
April 21, 2021
AP Exam Registration Information
With one week left to register for 1st semester and full year courses, we wanted to send a reminder that students have until October 30th to elect to take the AP exam in May of 2021. If your student chooses to take the exam, he/she must then register and make payment via My Payments Plus by October 30th. Information regarding My Payments Plus is below and has also been shared with your child in their AP class.
To register for your AP Examinations, please visit www.mypaymentsplus.com by Friday, October 30th, 2020. All registrations for 1st semester and full year AP courses must be completed by Friday, October 30th. Please Note: AP Calculus AB and BC are considered second semester classes for College Board purposes. Students will have the opportunity to register for those classes in February. Through this site, you will be able to view all available exams and make AP exam payments for all students in the same household in one transaction.
- If you do not already have a My Payments Plus account, follow the on-screen instructions to create one.
- If you already have a My Payments Plus account, be sure to “Add” each student who will be taking an AP exam.
- Please note that exams must be taken on the College Board scheduled day.
- When registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation number. Please record and save your confirmation number.
Payment/Additional Fees: The cost is $100 per exam, which includes the registration fee.
**PLEASE NOTE the following additional fees that will be applied after the October 30th deadline for 1st semester classes:
*Cancellation Fee: $0 (for 2020-21 school year only)
*Late Registration Fee: $40.00
If you experience technical issues with your account, or forget your login or password, please contact My Payments Plus, Monday-Friday, 7:30 AM-5:30 PM at (877) 237-0946.
November 3rd is Election Day. Students do not report to school on this day. Instruction will be 100% virtual with teachers providing synchronous instruction.
End of the Marking Period
The last day of the 1st Marking Period is November 10th. Report cards will be available in Infinite Campus on November 17th.
Parent Drop Off/Pick Up
When dropping off and/or picking up your child in the Main Parking Lot, please make sure you pull into the “nook” right by the steps that leads up to the entrance. This will allow for traffic to flow more effectively and safely. Thank you.
Missed Picture Day?
- Do nothing - the photo studio will print a 2020-2021 ID using last year's photo.
- Make an appointment with the studio in Doylestown and have your picture taken.
- Call C & C Studios: 215-345-1851
- Email C & C Studios: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Order form found here
For those purchasing a photo package who already had a picture taken: If the photo package information was not turned during the week of picture days, it's not too late! Please put order form, exact change or check made out to C & C Studios in an envelope and turn in to Mrs. Banks in the main office.
S2SS is an anonymous reporting system designed to help students and staff to recognize the warning signs and signals of individuals who may be a threat to themselves or others.
Find details about the program HERE - Safe2Say
We had reports that students are emailing teachers and counselors if they are staying home and/or switching placements from Hybrid to Online. We realize that it may seem easier (and appreciate our students being advocates and communicating) but in terms of attendance, here are the protocols we need to follow:
Hybrid Students - In Person Days
- If a student should be physically present in the building but is staying home, we do need this communication to come from the parents or guardians. Please email our attendance office at email@example.com. At the school level, this is the same as if students were in the building in a traditional sense because anytime a student is supposed to be here physically but is not, an “excuse note” is needed. There are many reasons for this, which primarily fall under liability and safety, but it is also important for our state attendance records and the planning for teachers. If a student is not in school (but attending online) the initial absence code will be “absent” until we have a communication from parents. The attendance code will be changed to “VP = Virtual Present” once we have the communication from the parent/guardian. We do ask for the communication in advance of the absence so we can make sure the teachers are aware and it also ensures us that parents and guardians know that the student is at home and has permission.
Online Students - Students all Virtual or Hybrid Students on Virtual Days
- If a student does not attend class, the student will be marked absent until we receive the communication from parents.
- Note – If a student logs in initially, but leaves the call or does not engage, the teachers will mark the student absent with a comment so parents can see this information and reach out to us as needed.
Class of 2023 T-Shirts
10th Graders: Class of 2023 T-shirts will be on sale from Monday, October 19th until Wednesday, October 28th. T-Shirts cost $10 and can be purchased on MyPaymentsPlus. Sizes available range from S-XXXL. If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Book/Item Distribution and Return
Until further notice, we will designate select Thursdays from 2:00pm-4:00pm in the CB West Cafeteria for students who are participating online to retrieve needed materials as communicated by teachers. Students can also return books or other curricular items by placing items in a labeled bin. Please park in the Junior lot off of MacFarlane Lane and enter the cafeteria. Please wear a mask and keep 6 feet social distancing at all times. Only 1 person per family may come into the building. Please bring a bag or bookbag to carry your items.
Process: Please find your placard, take the items under the placard, and leave the placard on the table at your spot.
Important: Please leave all name labels on any and all items given to you. This will be essential when you return items.
Larger Items: Teachers will communicate with you if you have larger items to pick up. Large items will be labeled with your name and will be in the back of the cafeteria in the large-item section.
Dates: The following are the Thursday dates for pick up and drop off of items mapped out through December (just in case and subject to change).
- 11/5/20 - new date due to fire/school closure
Ski & Boarder Club
Are you thinking snow?? We are! While we will not have organized trips this year, the West Ski and Boarder Club is pleased to offer discounted student season passes to Blue Mountain for all West students. See the club website for more information and directions to sign up. Act quickly – registration and payment must be completed by October 30th. If you have any questions, ask Mrs. Peloquin at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by room B214. See you on the mountain!
Antler Yearbook Information
Don't forget to reserve your child an Antler yearbook for this school year. Due to COVID, we will only be accepting online orders, at www.jostens.com . Don't delay - last year we completely sold out of yearbooks - be sure to reserve your child's high school memories today! Seniors Only - Visit the Antler website for Baby Photo information. https://www.cbsd.org/Domain/476
IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS FROM PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
The Pennsylvania Department of Health has revised the immunization requirements for students.
The state law immunization requirement must be completed by November 10, 2020.
Please click here for further details.
If the student is in the middle of a series and it is too soon for the next dose, the parents must provide the school nurse with a plan for immunizations (signed by a health care provider) within the first 5 days. If the student has incomplete immunizations and no medical plan, the student will be excluded from school.
You may check your child’s school immunization record by logging onto the parent portal through the district website at this link or by consulting with your child’s physician.