sel tips and resources 2015 - 2016
for families and educators of sd57
helpful tips, strategies, activities and resources for parents and staff!
Throughout the 2015/16 school year, both elementary and secondary parents and staff can receive helpful tips, strategies, activities and resources to support their children at home and in the classroom. Family and school can work together to improve children's social emotional learning skills while engaging parents.
A wellness flyer for staff is also available. To check out past flyers please click:
While supporting your social emotional learning goal, you may find yourself needing to target a particular issue. A separate flyer specific to your needs can be developed. Take a look at this one on school and family stress,
community building and bossiness,
teen resilience and goal setting.
The flyers I send are an easy read on smartphones and tablets. As well, a separate email will be forwarded to you with the link to the webpage to access the current or past flyers, as this may make it easier to provide the information to parents and staff. While some schools send the flyers directly to staff and parents, and provide the link on the school web site, others put the link on their newsletters or take a specific tip and include it in their communication.
You will receive your Back to School flyers soon!
tips for student success in McBride, Valemount, Mackenzie, Hixon and Prince George
Saturday, Aug. 15th, 8:30am
This is an online event.
Your Back to School Flyer will arrive mid August!
Following this you will receive
- a monthly sel flyer for elementary and secondary parents
- a monthly flyer for elementary staff
- a wellness flyer for staff
- sel family pinterest board - elementary students
- sel educator pinterest board - elementary students
- sel family pinterest board for families with teens
- proven, credible, relevant and appropriate
- input and requests from staff always welcome for flyers specific to individual needs
pinterest sites for staff and families are regularly updated
feedback this past year
Thank you very much for forwarding this. I am going to share it with my kids tonight - my son is especially very concerned about Ebola. I appreciate it! Parent and Vice Principal
I have been forwarding your great resources to my parents regularly. I would like to include this as well. Please send. Kindergarten teacher
Just a quick note to say at our last DPAC meeting a representative commented on how great this piece was on "Talking with Children about Tragic Events." Very timely, with our thanks." DPAC chairperson
I think it is a wonderful resource, which is why I added the link to the library web-page.
Librarian, Elementary School
Thanks again for another year of excellent, readable, and hands-on useful resources!
Any information is helpful! PAC chairperson, Secondary School
Can you please send me a copy of the information you have put together on grandparents raising grandchildren. I am also wondering if you know if this documentary will be shown in Kelowna. I know someone who could greatly benefit from seeing this. Thanks so much for sharing. Elementary Literacy Resource Teacher
I would love it if you could send some flyers to my school. We do have some grandparents who are raising their grandchildren, including some on staff. I feel it would be a good resource to have. Principal, Secondary School
Once again, Linda, you have outdone yourself.
Not only did the cartoon provide a giggle, the information is excellent.
Just a few tidbits that caught my attention:
*Solution focused questions
*Rules for Apologizing
*Depression self care resources for teens and us from mindcheck.ca
*Free apps for mental health
As always, thanks so much Linda! Elementary School Counsellor
Thanks for sharing the info on anxiety and students and ways to support.
This is definitely a valuable source of information given current experiences.
These links are fantastic! With permission I could send them out? Awesome job!
Student Support Services
Can I attach these links to my school website so that parents have access to them?Principal - Elementary SchoolAMS/Portal Support
Keep it coming as it is great stuff. You never know when somebody will need your info.Principal, Elementary School
Staff have asked for more tips on...
- parent/teacher conflict
- problem solving
- what is bullying, what it isn't
- wilful and defiant children - strategies for parents and teachers
- empowering children to solve problems on their own
- transitions - moving to a new school
- information on the teenage brain
- conflict amongst staff
- infomation for the Dalai Lama Centre website
- cyberbullying and social media
- helping parents know that routine and consistency help their children be better learners
- appropriate use of technology and children
- city opportunities, grants, camps, groups, outside school. Tips on poverty , budgeting, and healthy snacks and meals
- support for parents, eg. what is an IEP, what school support services are, how to address a concern, who and how to talk to
- loss/grief/separation due to divorce, break ups, death
- have a search function, so if I needed info on aniexty I could enter that.