Black Bear Bits
September 9, 2022
9/13: First day of school for PreK and Kindergarten
9/13: BOOHOO WOOHOO Parent Gathering (PreK and Kinder) 8:00-9:00 a.m. (details below)
9/17: Garden Work Party 9:00-11:00 a.m.
9/20: PTA Meeting 7:00 p.m.
9/24: Tualatin Bike Rodeo @Tualatin Elementary 10:00 a.m. - noon
9/26-30: Scholastic Book Fair
10/5: Walk and Roll to School
In this Edition
- Message from the Principal
- Safe, Kind, and Responsible Assembly
- Meet the Bus Drivers!
- BooHoo WooHoo Social for Kinder and PreK parents
- Garden Work Party
- Tigard Tualatin Bike Rodeo
- Covid Testing Update
- School Hours
- Drop off and Pick Up Information
- Message from the Office
- School Meals Information
- Volunteer in our Library
- Volunteer with Art Literacy
- Volunteering at Tualatin Elementary
- Did you Know?
- Health Plan Update
- Grief Support Groups Available
- Important Links
Message from the Principal
Black Bear Community,
I’m so happy to report that we’ve had a tremendous first week of school with our students in the building! Seeing the smiling faces of our little Black Bears entering through the front door lifts my spirits each morning. Students (and some parents and staff!) are starting to appreciate my vast collection of ties that I’ll wear Mondays-Thursdays each week.
Learning this week has centered on our students understanding the expectations that are so critical to school success, from walking in the hallway to our playground rules. These routines not only create a safer building environment for our students, but also create conditions through the year in which learning can thrive. A big thanks to our teachers for putting so much time and effort into explicitly teaching these routines.
Another big thanks to our incredible Black Bear community for being so helpful this week at arrival and dismissal! These are possibly the biggest procedures that we have, moving students in and out of the building. So thank you for following our guidelines, and ensuring we have a safe environment for our students.
I’d also like to share about some of the new faces you are seeing in our school. Please join me in welcoming:
Claire Bee - Kindergarten teacher
Olivia Jones - Learning Specialist Assistant
Cristina Maldonado - Secretary/Bookkeeper
Robert Michaud - 5th grade teacher
Alysa Shinall - Learning Specialist Assistant
Sam Spies - Speech/Language Pathologist
Ana Uriostegui - Family Partnership Advocate
Emily Diederen - Learning Specialist
Tina Johnson - Instructional Coach
Lindsay Edison - Literacy Specialist
Max Morales - Recess/Cafeteria
Donica Poer - Recess/Cafeteria
Tracy Seger - Recess /Cafeteria
Thank you everyone for a great first week!
Working together for kids,
Safe, Kind, Responsible Assembly
BooHoo, WooHoo Social!
- Parents of students in Pre-K and Kinder will gather at 8:00 a.m. in the library on Tuesday, September 13th.
Garden Work Party
We also need volunteers to weed, mow, water and harvest over the next few months. Sign up for a week: Monday - Sunday. Share the week with another family!
Tigard Tualatin Bike Rodeo
- Helmet fittings and bike checkups
- Free helmets
- Free bike rentals
- Bike activities for all ages
See the flyer in the attachments for more information and additional dates and locations.
Covid Testing Update
New permission forms are required each year.
K-5 SCHOOL HOURS
MONDAY – FRIDAY
7:45 a.m. Doors open
8:00 a.m. School begins
2:20 p.m. End of school day
Pre-K SCHOOL HOURS
MONDAY – THURSDAY
A.M. SESSION: 8:00 -10:30 a.m.
P.M SESSION: 12:00 - 2:30 p.m.
SCHOOL OFFICE HOURS
8:00 A.M.-3:30 P.M.
(503) 431-4770 ~~ PLEASE CALL this recording before 8:30 a.m.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL Kinder and Pre-K
Tuesday, September 13, 2022
Drop off and Pick up Information
Please keep in mind that on the first day of school (9/13 for Kinder/PreK) the parking lots will be filled early. You may consider parking in the neighborhoods surrounding the school and walk to the school with your child.
We are asking parents to drop off students along the fire lane in the front parking lot. Please pull all the way forward to the flagpole area. Do not leave your car in the fire lane unattended. If you need to go into the school, please park in an available parking space. If you do not have a disability placard, please do not park in reserved disability parking or in the striped "no parking" areas.
If driving, please pull into the fire lane all the way to the flagpole area. We ask that all parents stay in their cars and display the yellow sign with student name(s) and teacher name. (You'll receive a yellow card on the first week of school.) Your student will be called out to your car. Do not leave your car in line unattended. If you are walking, please wait for your child by the flagpole or sidewalk along Avery. It is also helpful and more efficient if you are also holding a sign with your student's name.
Message From the Office
To minimize classroom interruptions, please make sure your child knows how they are getting home before they come to school. If your plans change during the school day, please contact the office before to 2:00 with those changes so we can get the message to your student prior to dismissal. The office number is 503-431-4800. Thank you for your assistance.
Our attendance line is 503-431-4770. Please remember to call the attendance line before 8:30 if you child is going to be absent or tardy (after 8:00). If your student is out sick, please inform us of any symptoms your child is experiencing so we can share any exclusion information with you. An automated system will call you if the absence/tardy has not been reported.
School Meals Information
Please set up your student's meal account or apply for free meals through the Titan Program Website. You can also view the school menu in Titan or the TTSD website (subject to supply chain disruptions). If your student has food allergies, please be sure to update that information in ParentVu.
Elementary Breakfast: $2.25
Elementary Lunch: $3.75
Volunteer in our school library!
Want to help our school library? We need a Book fair chairperson for our book fair that is coming up at the end of September. We also will need lots of volunteers to make it successful. All proceeds from the book fair buy new books for our school library.
The library also needs book pickup & shelving volunteers for Monday and Thursdays 8:00am to 9:30am and for Wednesday afternoon library. This volunteer position is every week and requires a lot of lifting and bending and organizing shelves. Different people can volunteer for different days.
The library could also use some volunteers to help with OBOB (Oregon Battle of the Books). This volunteer would help a couple times a month during lunch and recess.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of these positions please email Kathleen Cunnington at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteering at Tualatin Elementary
We love our volunteers and are excited to welcome you back into the building this year! To volunteer at Tualatin, please follow the steps below. When your application is completed, you'll receive an email from the front office and you'll be able to schedule volunteer time at the school.
All volunteers must complete the checklist below to volunteer
- Complete a background check at: www.helpcounter.net/ttsd. (This needs to be renewed every three years.) You will also need to complete the Child Abuse online training.
- Be vaccinated for COVID-19. Please provide vaccine documentation using the following link-TTSD Volunteer Vaccination Documentation or send a copy/photo of your card to the school office (email@example.com)
- OR If you have a vaccination exception, please fill out the form that applies to you- Religious or Medical and submit to the following link- TTSD Volunteer Exception Documentation
- When the above has been completed, contact the school office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-431-4800) and we will give you documents for the Volunteer COVID training through Tualatin Elementary.
Masks will be optional in the building for volunteers that are vaccinated. We ask that if you are sick or have any symptoms, that you postpone your volunteering until you are well.
Volunteers with a vaccine exception on file will be required to:
Wear a mask while on TTSD property OR;
Be given a rapid test at the time and location of their volunteer assignment.
Please contact Amanda Thorderson (email@example.com or 503-431-4800) with any questions.
Did you know?
- The Black Bear Bits are sent to families every Friday while school is in session. The Bits always contain timely information on events, updates to policies and procedures, and all the happenings at Tualatin Elementary. We also post a link on social media (Facebook and Twitter). Be sure to check out the attachments in the Bits emails as it contains community and school flyers, applications, and resources important to your family.
- You can reach our front office at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can find our individual emails on the school website. You can also call us at 503-431-4800
- Fridays are spirit days! Wear your spirit wear or school colors (red and black)
- PTA meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month (except December)
- If the school is experiencing an unexpected closure due to snow, natural disaster, power outage, or other emergency, information will be sent out through Flash Alert. Sign up to receive these push notifications on your phone and via email.
HEALTH PLAN NOTIFICATION
If your student has a health plan, it is now viewable in Parentvue. Please review the plan and contact your school’s nurse if anything needs to be changed. If your nurse does not hear from you by September 15, 2022, this is the plan that will be in place for the 2022-2023 school year.
Sharon Mitchell, BSN, RN
Tigard-Tualatin District Nurse
Free Grief Support Groups
For information, please call our clinical coordinators at 971.930.2008 (Annie) or 503.953.5315 (Carrie) or email email@example.com.