Twitter for Beginners
Come learn to Tweet or follow educators on Twitter.
Using the 3 ways to use Twitter named in the video (PLN, Share learning, or Digital Citizenship), list your priorities/goals for using Twitter.
Rutherford County School Social Media Policies
Task 1: Create a Twitter account using your RCS email address
- Go to Twitter.com and Sign up
- Since this is a professional account, go ahead and use your full professional name
- Use your RCS email address
- Create a password NOT linked to your school email, or any other account
- Twitter gets hacked and you want to avoid hackers gaining access to any of your other accounts that may share a password.
Task 2: Develop your Profile
- After signing up for your account, you want to let other Twitter users know who you are—why you’re there.
- Keep it professional—while it is okay to mention that you are a devoted dad or a lead soloist in your church choir, remember this account is for you, the Educator.
- Don’t be afraid to let your personality show—profiles are intended to give a window into who you are as a professional—and as Educators we are lucky to be in positions that allow our true passions to shine.
- Your profile should highlight your humor, your passion—you heart!
Task 3: Follow accounts based on your Twitter goals
- Search for and ‘Follow’ your campus tech coach
- Keep in mind your goal for using Twitter—if this is for your PLN, look for folks who tweet out resources, participate in Twitterchats, are involved in their educational systems; if this is for your classroom, look for other classrooms around the world who are sharing out their learning adventures!
- Pick 3-4 accounts to begin following.
- Take a look at who they follow—read some profiles and begin making your selections, based on your goals for using Twitter.
Task 4: Hashtags #
What is a hastag? Watch this 2 min video
- Search a hashtag and share something you found from searching that hashtag. (Twitter Cheat Sheet included in folder) #RCSLearning
- Using a relevant hashtag, find a TwitterChat you may want to visit in the future.
Task 5: Tweet
What hashtag would you use for this session? Tweet something you learned today and add a hashtag to describe in the Tweet
- Post your new Twitter handle on the Padlet.
- ‘Follow’ everyone from the class today.
- Direct message your tech coach and ask them to ‘follow’ you on Twitter and ask them to follow up with you about any Twitter questions you still have!
- Complete the PD Evaluation survey.