Occoneechee Speedway Trail Hike
& Orange Co. Speedway
Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail Hike & Orange Co. Speedway
Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail Hike & Orange Co. Speedway Details
We have three adventurous events going on this Saturday, April 1st. You don’t have to do all three, but we’d love to see you there for at least one of the following:
SATURDAY, APRIL 1st
4pm: Hike @ HOST – need to bring: water, hiking equipment [Class-B uniforms]
5:30pm: Tailgating @ OCS Track – need to bring: dinner, play equipment [Class-B or A]
7pm: Race @ OCS Track – need to bring: earplugs, cooler/water, etc. [Class-A]
Who? Pack 495 scouts and families
What? Hike, Tailgating, & Race
Where? HOST and OCS track (see address below)
When? 4pm, 5:30pm, 7pm
How? Get in your car & drive on up!
Contact? Daniel Key [phone: (678) 935-8688; email: email@example.com]
Tailgating: However much you want to spend on the dinner you bring.
Race: $10/adults, $1/child
Why? FUN! (duh!) plus exercise and experiences
Take nothing but pictures,
Leave nothing but footprints,
Kill nothing but time,
Keep nothing but memories.
ESSENTIAL DETAILS for the Historical Occoneechee Speedway Trail (HOST) Hike:
- The plan is to arrive @ HOST a little before 4pm
- Parking is just past the HOST entrance @ Carrot Top parking lot.
- Address: Carrot-Top Parking Lot, 328 Elizabeth Brady Rd, Hillsborough, NC 27278
- See: HOST website: http://historicspeedwaygroup.org , AND
- See: Nearby Visitor Center: http://www.historichillsborough.org/visitor-services
- See: [Nice to know]: http://classicalamericanhomes.org/ayr-mount/
- We will walk around the oval, stop at various times, and go thru activities that can help earn requirements for rank advancement. It should take about an hour or so.
- Bathrooms are at the visitor center, but that is a hike in a different direction, so I recommend using facilities before getting to the HOST.
- Bring plenty of water. Trail mix is always nice, but we’ll be eating right after the hike.
ESSENTIAL DETAILS for the Orange County Speedway (OCS) Race:
- The plan is to arrive @ OCS around 5:30pm (it takes about 15-20 minutes to drive to OCS from HOST), race begins @ 7pm
- See: OCS website: http://www.ocstrack.com
- Address: HOST: 9740 NC Highway 57, Rougemont, NC 27572-8865
- Tailgating will happen after the hike, before the race. Bring what you want for dinner. If it needs to be cooked, bring something to cook it on.
- If we have enough scouts, team building activities will happen that can help with requirements for rank advancement.
- Bring ear plugs! Possibly, bring binoculars. Bring water!
- You can bring a cooler into the stands, but no larger than 12”x12”, basically large enough to hold a 6-pack
- Bring money (or ccard)! $10 per adult, $1 per child
NICE TO KNOW DETAILS:
Info about the Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail:
The Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail is a 44-acre site on the National Register of Historic Places. Three miles of trails takes you along the banks of the Eno River, where you’ll walk around the only surviving speedway from NASCAR’s inaugural 1949 season. The Speedway was active from 1948-68, attracting the best stock car drivers and thousands of spectators. No access after sunset. Visit on the web at: https://www.visitnc.com/listing/historic-occoneechee-speedway-trail
Info about the Orange County Speedway:
Orange County Speedway is a 3/8 mile (0.6 km) asphalt oval in Orange County, North Carolina, near Rougemont. It first opened in 1966 as 1/4 mile (0.4 km) and 5/8 mile (1.6 km) dirt oval (Trico Speedway), which operated until 1967 and 1973, respectively. The facility was reopened and paved in 1983. With a slogan of "the fastest 3/8-mile race track in America," the oval features 19 degree banking through the turns and 16 degrees on the straightaways creating three distinct grooves making for very fast turns. The aluminum grandstands stretch from Turn 4 all the way down the front straightaway to Turn 1. The speedway closed in 2003, but reopened on March 11, 2006 as an American Speed Association member track. Visit on the web at: http://www.ocstrack.net/about