Our Town Happenings Week #6
Reagan Elementary :: Leander Independent School District
Week of September 28 - October 2 , 2015
WELCOME TO 4TH GRADE!
Weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let us know!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- finish introducing the writing process
- begin seed vs. watermelon stories
- Grammar: adjectives
- continue the earliest Texans
- multi step word problems
- continue poetry unit & figurative language
- Sitton Spelling Unit 5: fire, ready, green, yes, built
- Float the Boat: An Investigation in Buoyancy
- Temperature: What is it, how is it measured, and why is it important?
- begin Properties of Matter Vocabulary (set 2) - to be tested Friday 10/9
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- Purple Specials Day (Beasley/Library, LaCombe/PE)
- Red Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Visual Art)
- Orange Specials Day (Beasley/Visual Art, LaCombe/PE)
- fall individual picture day - payment prepaid; due today
- Yellow Specials Day (Beasley/PE, LaCombe/Performing Arts)
- science vocab redo quiz (set 1)
- Green Specials Day (Beasley/Performing Arts, LaCombe/PE)
- Fun First Friday in 4th: Dress like a SUPERHERO! (optional)
- spelling review over Sitton Unit 5
- skills check (math)
- multiplication timed test
- Log reading minutes online in Google Classroom (80 min/week recommended)
- Complete homework online in Google Classroom Reading Class (see info below for help logging in at home)
- (OPTIONAL) students may practice their Elements of Poetry vocabulary using the Quizlet link below; may also access it through their reading class in Google Classroom
- reading homework due SUNDAY 10/4 at 5:00 pm
- worksheet handed out in class on Monday; due next Monday 10/5 in class
- Vocab makeup quiz for students who need to retake will be Thursday, 10/1 in class (per campus grading policy, students who scored a 70-79 may retake, students who scored a 69 or below must retake - final score will be an average of the two scores up to an 80%)
- Properties of Matter Vocab Quiz #2 will be on Friday, October 9th in class
PICTURE DAY - THIS WEDNESDAY, 9/30
PARENT / TEACHER CONFERENCES - MONDAY, OCTOBER 12
WRITING STAAR TEST UPDATE
To meet legislative requirements, the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR®) grades 4 and 7 writing assessments will be redesigned so they can be completed in one four-hour administration. In the current school year, the STAAR grades 4 and 7 writing assessments will be administered on Tuesday, March 29, 2016. Please update your travel and appointment calendars accordingly.
- Wednesday, 9/30 - Fall Pictures - order envelopes sent home last Friday (Beasley) or this Monday 9/28 (LaCombe)
- Thursday 10/1 - QUEST Parent Night - 6:00 - 7:00
- Thursday 10/1 - makeup science vocab 1 quiz (for students scoring a 79 or below on the original test)
- Friday 10/2 - Fun First Friday in 4th (Dress Up) - Super Hero Day
- Tuesday 10/6 - Jogathon (LaCombe's Homeroom) during PE
- Wednesday 10/7 - Jogathon (Beasley's Homeroom) during PE
- Monday 10/12 - NO SCHOOL - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Friday 10/23 - End of 1st 9 weeks
- Week of 10/26 - Red Ribbon Week
- Wednesday 10/28 - Early Release day; 1st 9 weeks report cards home
- Sunday 11/1 - Daylight Savings Time - FALL BACK!
- Friday 11/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th (Dress-Up) - Decade Day
- Wednesday 11/11 - 4th Grade Veterans Day performance
- Friday 11/13 - Pajama Drive Kick Off - WEAR PJS TO SCHOOL!
- Friday 11/13 - Thursday 12/10 - Pajama Drive
- Week of 11/16 - Generations Texas week
- Week of 11/16 - bookfair in Reagan Library
- Week of 11/23 - 11/27 - Thanksgiving Break
- Thursday 12/10 - PJ Drive ends
- 12/21 - 1/1/16 - LISD Winter Break - NO SCHOOL
- Monday 1/4 - School resumes
- Friday 1/8 - Fun First Friday in 4th (Dress-Up) - Crazy Hair Day
- Friday 1/15 - End of 1st Semester
READING ON THE RAILS!
All aboard with the Austin Steam Train Association, Cedar Park Public Library and the Leander ISD Educational Excellence Foundation (LEEF) at the Reading on the Rails early childhood literacy event! Activities on the train and in the railyard are designed to attract, inform and entertain elementary-aged children and their families. Activities will include celebrity story tellers, readings from children’s authors, bingo, coloring, exclusive first look at ASTA’s historic Horse Car Museum and tour of the 786 Southern Pacific Steam Engine! Community vendors and food and beverage booths will also be available on site.
Admission is the donation of new or gently used children’s books. All books will be donated to LEEF’s reading initiative to endure that every home in Leander ISD has a selection of age-appropriate books available for the family.
To RSVP, please email email@example.com by Friday, October 2nd.
All activities take place at our Cedar Park Depot at 401 E. Whitestone Blvd., #C-100 and the adjoining railyard and platform. Our vintage locomotive and train cars will be pulled up to the platform for entertainment and photo opportunities!
Reagan Rays Mudstacle Team!
WHAT: The Mudstacle is a 3.1-mile (5K) combination mud and obstacle course designed to test the adventurer in you! With waves that offer varying lengths and obstacle difficulties, the Mudstacle has something to challenge every member of the family. Come early and stay late to enjoy the food booths, interactive kid zone and give-aways from local businesses.
WHEN: Saturday, October 17, 2015 – 8:30 am
WHERE: Vista Ridge High School – 200 South Vista Ridge Blvd.
WHY: Funds raised through this event will go to support and expand LEEF programs like innovative classroom grants, textbook scholarships for dual credit students, AP exam scholarships, free children’s books, and many other college& career readiness initiatives. The Leander ISD Educational Excellence Foundation (LEEF) is a 501(c)(3) dedicated to improving academic outcomes for all students in Leander ISD.
HELPFUL LINKS FOR PARENTS
CURIOUS AS TO WHAT WE DO ALL DAY?
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.
EMAIL REMIND REMINDERS :)
...if you'd prefer not to receive Remind text notifications, you can have them sent directly to your email inbox! Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To unsubscribe, reply with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line.