The Brooklyn Buzz
September 21, 2019
IN THIS EDITION:
- Summary of the week
- MAP assessments
- 7th Graders - Immunizations
- Information from the nurse
- Emergency Medical Forms/Contact Information
- Brooklyn Birthday Club
- Expectations at Football games
- Drop off/Pick up times
- Drop off/ Pick up procedures
- FERPA Notice
- Important Dates
- Contacting Brooklyn School
Summary of the week/upcoming information
We completed a lock down drill on Friday, that included barricading the doors with our new door stops. We also tested an emergency alert software that broadcasts over our phones. The drill went smooth and administration was able to sweep the building quickly. I know it is sad that we have to think about these types of drills, but it is important that we practice. These types of drills are common practice for our students, as most of them have been doing them since they started school.
Next week, on Wednesday in conjunction with the High School we will wear green. This is in connection with the Sandy Hook initiative Start With Hello. This is to show support for students that may be alone or just need a friendly face. If you have an opportunity, talk with your children about being kind and understanding that we all need a friend.
Thank you for all your support and commitment to Brooklyn School!
Mrs. Cristin Cicco
7th Grade Immunizations
If your child is in 7th grade, please make sure all immunization requirements have been met and the form has been filled out and turned in.
Here is the information regarding the requirements and the form that needs to be filled out and returned to the school. Please contact Brooklyn School with any questions.
From the Nurse
Would you please notify the clinic of any health concerns (newly diagnosed or chronic illnesses, allergies etc.) that your child may have so we can best care for them during their time here at school.
The clinic phone number is (216) 485-8179, or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also please update your contact information as these are the numbers we use to contact you in the event of an illness or injury situation. Updates are also required for your student to participate in any Field Trip (off campus) activities.
ONLINE Emergency Medical Authorization/ Contact Forms
Students will not be permitted to participate in field trips and other important school activities if the emergency medical information is not updated.
We are using an online Emergency Medical/Contact forms. Please go to the Brooklyn Schools Home page. There is a big gold link in the middle of the homepage - Click Here to Update Medical Forms. This needs to be filled out for all students, as it includes information for student contact information and more. These forms have to be filled out on a computer or tablet. You will not be able to fill this form out on your phone.
Current Brooklyn Families:
Go to the parent portal site: https://brooklyn.esvportal.com/
Create an account if you do not have one. How to create an account
Once you create an account, link your students to your account. (Note: Students can only be linked to one parent account. Please create only one account per household)
Once linked, you will be able to update your student(s) EMA and Demographic information and submit it to the district.
F.A.S.T will start up again, starting October 7, 2019 at 5:15. The fall session will last 8 weeks. Our coordinators are still looking for families to join this family focused group.
What is F.A.S.T...
- Improve children’s behavior and academic performance;
- Strengthen families and empower parents;
- Help schools succeed by increasing parent engagement and improving learning climate; and
- Increase social capital by building positive relationships between parents, families and schools.
If interested, click this link and print the flyer. You can send the flyer into the school and give to the office.
Football Season is in the air - please read to see our expectations of students at the games.
- Students will sit in the student section unless they are sitting with a guardian.
- Students will not run behind the stadium.
- There is no playing football or other sports in the grassy areas.
- No backpacks are allowed at the games.
- No profanity allowed at the games.
- Don't walk on the track.
- Brooklyn students are not allowed on the visitor's side.
- If you leave the game you can't come back in.
- Make sure that your ride picks you up on time.
School Hours - Arrival Times and Departure Times (Kindergarten - 12th)
The doors will open for students beginning at 7:30 each school day. Please plan accordingly when dropping off your child in the morning. School starts at 8 am. Breakfast will be available from 7:30 am to 8:00am. Please see the drop off procedures below.
Students will be released from class to depart at 3:11 pm. Please see pick up procedures below.
School is in session from 8:00 am to 3:11 pm.
If we have no record of the child being out of school you will receive an automated call.
If students have appointments, please get a doctor's note and send in with them when they return to school.
Drop Off/Pick Up procedures
3 Lots - Blue, Gold & White
Grades K - 3 ~ BLUE LOT drop off and pick up
Grades 4-7 ~ GOLD LOT drop off an pick up
Grades 8-12 ~ WHITE LOT drop off and pick up (students from the high school will not be permitted to cut through our school to pick up siblings, they can meet them at the exit for the white lot.
To assist in the flow of traffic, we are asking that students be dropped off and picked up based on the oldest child.
For example ~
- If your oldest child is in grades 8-12, use the WHITE LOT in the back of the HS to drop off and pick up all children in your family.
- If your oldest child is in grades 4-7, use the GOLD LOT at the main entrance of the PK-7 building to drop off and pick up all children in your family.
- If your oldest child is in grades K-3, use the BLUE LOT off of Behrwald Avenue to drop off and pick up all children in your family.
September 16th - September 25 - MAP testing (4-12)
September 25th - 4th grade Memorial Park for Science Class.
September 30th - October 4th - Pasta for Pennies
September 30th - October 4th - Spirit Week
October 8th - Renkas and Foley's homerooms to the fire station
October 9th - Borrowy and Hovan's homerooms to the fire station
October 10th - PTA fundraiser kick off
October 10th - October 24th - PTA Fundraiser
October 10th - Conferences (3:30 - 9 pm) Teachers will reach out to families, closer to the date
October 11th - No School
October 18th - Early Dismissal
November 12th - PTA fundraiser pick up
Contacting Brooklyn School Personnel
Attendance Line ~ (216) 485-8171
- When reporting your child off, please include: first and last name of the child, grade, reason for absence, who is reporting the child off and a number you can be reached.
Mrs. Cristin Cicco ~ Principal
Ms. Lara Smith ~ Assistant Principal
Mrs. Annie Bir ~ Guidance Counselor (Grades 4-7)
Mrs. Denise Smith ~ Guidance Counselor (Grades PK-3)
(216) 485 - 8173
Mrs. Laura Paul ~ Brooklyn School Secretary