AEB Weekly 3/26/18 to 4/1/18
W. Charles Akins High School Band - Austin, TX
This is the final full week of UIL Preparations! Please check this newsletter and calendar carefully!
As each band makes final preparations for our most important concerts of the year, all students should plan on being in all rehearsals. Please make sure that no appointments, etc. are scheduled during sectional or rehearsal times. This is the time of year when everyone is absolutely needed in order for each group to be successful!
Congratulations to the Akins Varsity and Junior Varsity Winter Guards on a Great Season!
All of AEB is proud of the students and staff of the Akins Winter Guards!
The South First Groove Kills It at Temple College Jazz Festival
The students gave a tremendous performance followed by an exciting clinic with renowned Texas jazz educators.
Check out their performances below and put the First Annual South First Groove Spaghetti Dinner on your calendar for Thursday, April 26th. More details coming soon!
Slightly Out of Tune
Featuring Gabriel De La Garza on Tenor Saxophone
Little Tune for a Big Horn
Featuring Jacob Arocha on Bass Trombone
Events, Announcements, and Information
Akins Pre-UIL Concert & Clinic
Tuesday, March 27th, 5:30-7:30pm
Akins High School, S 1st St, Austin, TX, US
- 6:00pm - Concert Band Performance
- 7:15pm - Symphonic Band Performance
- 8:30pm - Wind Symphony Performance
Please check this schedule for your (your student's) arrival time and estimated completion time.
Attire is Formal Concert Black
Hays Pre-UIL Concert & Clinic
Wednesday, March 28th, 8am-1pm
979 Kohlers Crossing
Schedule for All Students (Subject to Change)
- 8:00am - All Students Report to Band Hall
- 8:30am - Depart for Hays Performing Arts Center
- 10:00am - Concert Band Performance & Clinic
- 10:30am - Symphonic Band Performance & Clinic
- 11:00am - Wind Symphony Performance & Clinic
- 12:15pm - Load Busses & Return to Akins
- 12:45pm - Estimated Return to Akins - Students unload and eat lunch in fine arts building and/or band hall.
***Students should bring their own lunch.***
Attire is Formal Concert Black
Wind Symphony Clinic with Professor Junkin
Thursday, March 29th, 5-7pm
10701 S 1st St
UIL Schedules for Next Week
Detailed Itinerary & Information for Dallas Trip Coming Soon
- Put the Mandatory Trip Meeting on your calendar for Monday, April 16th from 7:30pm to 8:30pm.
- All students who are traveling to Dallas must be in attendance with a parent or legal guardian. There are no exceptions to this requirement. Students who do not attend with a parent or legal guardian will not be permitted to travel.
- Students must pass all classes the 5th 6 Weeks in order to travel. This is a Texas UIL rule and there is nothing that can be done to regain eligibility in order to travel. According to the travel company, no refunds can be given. This is a ETA Tours & Adventures policy and not an AEB policy. Directors or Akins admin will not be able to help with this.
Going on the Dallas Trip? Order a shirt!
More images available at the link!
Purchase Yankee Candle Company Candles All Spring - Earn Money for AEB to Fund Clinicians
This week we will hand out catalogs and information on our sale so you can support your band program by selling candles for the next couple of weeks.
The money earned from this sale will help pay for clinicians for the spring semester. Everyone is asked to participate!
Please direct your friends and family to the AEB website where a picture will allow them to purchase!
Unpaid Band Fees Reported to Akins Front Office & Obligation List
Any unpaid band balances are being reported to the Akins front office for addition to the AHS Obligation List. Students who have a reported balance on the Obligation List are not able to attend prom, receive a diploma, etc.
This is a “last resort” action in order to ensure that all families are taking care of their financial obligations in order to keep the program funded.
Please make any payments ASAP and the obligation can be cleared with the front office.
Earn Money for Your Band Fees, Trip Payments, and Lessons
There are always shifts available and we are already needing people to work!
- Saturday, April 14th - Wind Symphony at Dallas Winds Invitational - Meyerson Symphony Center, Dallas, TX - All Day
- Monday, April 16th - Mandatory Trip Meeting for All Dallas Travelers - Akins Band Hall - 7:30pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday, April 17th - Paredes Solo & Ensemble Festival - Paredes MS - Times TBA (After School)
- Thursday, April 19th through Saturday April 21st - Spring Band Trip - Dallas, TX
- Thursday, April 26th - The South First Groove Spaghetti Dinner & Concert - Akins HS - 7:00pm to 10:00pm