Creating a Welcoming Environment
in the Library Media Center
- Create attractive displays.
- Keep the space neat, organized, and clean, but also comfortable.
- Create a "homey" feeling. Bring in some color!
- Display student work and always reiterate that it is YOUR library.
- Keep doors open as much as possible! Keep the library open as much as possible!
- Balance high expectations for productive work with a relaxed environment.
- Make eye contact with patrons. Greet everyone with a smile. Build relationships!
- Let everyone know that it is my job to help them in any way that I can, and that I LOVE my job!
- Ensure the space is flexible and welcome to different types of groups.
How Do We Get There?
- The work begins right away! I will add personal touches over the summer and start the year off with a bang.
- It is also essential to observe staff and student interactions and make decisions accordingly. The Library Media Center is a living place that evolves with the needs of its patrons.
- Working alongside administration ensures everyone's goals/expectations are being met.