an early literacy newsletter from Coos Bay Public Library
Mother Goose on the Loose: Superstar!
January marked our SIXTH year of Mother Goose on the Loose here at Coos Bay Public Library. Over the last few years, we have had the joy of witnessing so many milestones. Babies begin crawling and walking, MGOL graduates start kindergarten, and new siblings join our group! Grady is one such sibling. His mom says:
'Our whole family loves Mother Goose on the Loose! Grady is lucky enough to have sisters who have graduated from the program and will perform all of the songs and motions for him on a regular basis. The songs we’ve learned entertain Grady (Rocket Ship), teach him (Body Rhymes), and help us with difficult transitions during the day (Toys away, toys away, putting the toys away today!). But Grady’s top reason for loving MGOL is sharing hugs with Miss Bekah!'
What a sweet boy. Grady is a MGOL Superstar!
Mother Goose on the Loose, a program for infants and toddlers, is offered twice a week at the library: Wednesdays & Thursdays at 9:30am.
Join us for FREE BOOKS and cupcakes at our annual Seuss Night.
Monday, March 2nd @ 6:00pm
Build Skills Every Day
Little interactions every day can add up to a BIG foundation for learning.
- Talk: If your toddler is feeling chatty, ask them to tell you a story. You can model good listening by asking open ended questions, or repeating what they said in your own words.
- Sing: Anything can be a drum! Pat to the beat of your child's favorite songs.
- Read: Babies love to hear their favorite books read over and over. If you've already read it ten times in a row, give yourself a break from the text and talk about the pictures.
- Write: Turn your toddler's scribbles into valentines or thank you notes. Cut out parts of their latest masterpiece and glue them onto the front of blank note cards.
- Play: A game like "Red Light, Green Light" helps burn energy and teaches self control. Take turns calling out, and model how to stop for red and move around during green. When your little one has mastered the game, add the "Yellow Light" for slow.