FAC Weekly Update
October 16, 2020
Good morning, Fine Arts Center Family
I hope you had a wonderful week!
Believe it or not, we have arrived at the last week of the first Quarter of the 20-21 School Year. Getting to this point has taken a monumental effort from the entire FAC Family - Students, Instructors, Parents, and Staff. Thank you for your continued support as we navigate through uncharted waters. We are so fortunate to have the Arts as an outlet...something that brings us together, forms lasting bonds, and serves as a force for positivity!
Here is the latest from the halls of the FAC...
VIRTUAL COLLEGE VISITS - Join Us!
The website for the full schedule and listing of participants is:
RETURNING STUDENTS - Please complete the FAC APPLICATION
The application window is October 8 - November 12. Late applications will not be accepted, so please make sure that this task gets completed in a timely manner. Offers to attend the FAC will go out through Backpack on February 5, 2021.
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Quotes I'm Pondering (page 292)
“Often when you think you're at the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else.”
- Fred Rogers
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."
- Lao Tzu (Chinese philosopher, founder of Taoism)
Quotes I'm Pondering (page 463)
"You can do so much in ten minutes' time. Ten minutes, once gone, are gone for good. Divide your life into ten-minute units and sacrifice as few of them as possible in meaningless activity."
- Ingvar Kamprad (Swedish business magnate, founder of IKEA)
- Horatio Alger Association - seeks to assist students who have demonstrated integrity, perseverance in overcoming adversity, strength in character, critical financial need ($55,000 or less adjusted gross income per family), good academic record, commitment to pursue a college education and a desire to contribute to society. www.horatioalger.org/scholarships. Deadline October 25, 2020.
NEW - The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation - The Jack Kent Cooke College Scholarship Program is an undergraduate scholarship program available to high achieving high school seniors with financial need who seek to attend the nation’s best four-year colleges and universities. Cooke College Scholars receive up to $40,000 per year, college planning support, ongoing advising, and the opportunity to network with the larger Cooke Scholar community. Deadline: October 30, 2020. https://www.jkcf.org/our-scholarships/
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation - Achievement based scholarship for graduating seniors. Students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve as well as their commitment to having an impact on their school and community. 150 Coca-Cola scholars are selected each year to receive this $20,000 scholarship. More information at www.coca-cola scholars.org. Deadline October 31, 2020.
- NEW - Prudential Spirit of Community Awards – State Honorees receive $1,000 and a trip to Washington D.C. National Honorees receive additional $5,000. Largest youth recognition program based on volunteerism and community service. Open to students in grade 5-12. More details at www.prudential.com/spirit. Deadline November 20, 2020.
- College Board Opportunity Scholarships are micro-scholarships that high school students can earn by taking steps on their path to college. https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
GCS Job Fair - October 27, 2020
Students - Are You Reading Your Emails?
As a parent of a child who is not "into" reading his emails, I know how tough this battle is. Let's keep fighting the good fight on this together. We want our kids to be the owners of information, and not relying on others to manage their responsibilities.
- Mr. Popat
Speaking of emails...
Very important information on how to communicate with your teachers. Learning how to write an email properly can be a game-changer for your future!
Support the FAC When You Shop
Arts High Schools provide “above and beyond” experiences for our students that often fall outside of the normal school budget. Here are some easy ways to help us on a regular basis. Funds go to Guest Artist experiences, Masterclasses, and much more!
Select Fine Arts Center Partners as your preferred charitable organization
Harris Teeter and Publix
Go to https://fineartscenter.net/page.asp?titleid=donate for information on how to help the FAC while shopping for groceries
Are You a Follower?
Many of our teaching studios have their own Instagram account as well, so follow us and you can easily find those pages through our account.
Building Hours - Attendance Plan 2
8:00 a.m. Classes
Building access at 7:45 a.m.
9:15 a.m. Classes
Building access at 8:30 a.m.
1:30 p.m. Classes
Building access at 1:15 p.m.
- Should these restrictions result in a hardship to your family relative to the parent’s ability to get to work on time, please call our Main Office. Before doing so, we respectfully request that you attempt to work out a resolution with your workplace. If no compromise can be found, we can accept a very limited number of students before the above building access times.
- Studio Time is not available to students while we are under social distancing restrictions.
As always, please call or email with any questions!
STEPS TO RETURN TO SCHOOL IF EXPOSED to/SYMPTOMATIC WITH COVID
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.