Books! Gadgets! Fun!
August 2016! Back to School!
1. We can pull books on a particular topic or theme.
2. We can share great books with your students.
3. We can work together on a research project (all subject areas).
4. We can be another set of hands in the Computer Lab or with iPads in your classroom.
5. We can help with individual students and small groups - maybe you have a handful of students who are really curious about something - send them to the Learning Commons and we'll see what we can find out!
6. We can put together a list of links on a particular topic.
7. We can help you learn more about a particular technology tool or app.
8. We can gather resources about reading to share with parents.
The list goes on and on...just let us know what you need! We are here for you!
Happy New Year!
Valerie Byrd Fort, Sarah Sheely, Karen Gobbi, and Brenda Burkett
Learning Commons Team Schedule
Mrs. Byrd Fort is at NPES 11am - 3pm every day (4pm on Mondays).
Mrs. Sheely is at NPES 7:20am - 11:30am every day.
Mrs. Gobbi is at NPES 7:30am - 3pm every day (lunch at 11:15 on M,W; 12:20 on T,TH,F).
Ms. Burkett is at NPES 7:30am - 3pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, every other Friday.
SAVE THE DATE! September is National Library Card Sign Up Month!
NPES friends! *We are in need of toilet paper and paper towel rolls!* THANK YOU!
New Providence News Network (WPNN)
Over the summer, we received NEWS SHOW EQUIPMENT! We are excited to announce that we will have a LIVE morning news show starting after Labor Day! The news show team will rotate between 5th grade classes. We will be learning and growing with each production. We appreciate you using the life skills of patience, support and encouragement while we get our show going! If you ever have anything you would like to announce on WPNN, please let Mrs. Sheely or Mrs. Byrd Fort know!
- Computer Labs (Cub Lab and Lion Lab)
- Learning Commons
- Makerspace/Burkett/Shahoud (in Learning Commons)
- iPads (please note that iPads are not yet ready for checkout)
Over the summer, ALL student iPads were updated and refreshed (meaning, they were wiped clean of most apps). The way we manage apps was also updated. We are currently working on getting the iPads ready for your classroom and will distribute the iPads when they are ready! lFYI - you can no longer download apps using the App Store. You MUST use the App Catalog. A member of the Learning Commons Team will add apps to the catalog for you WITH ADVANCE NOTICE. When you are planning lessons and would like to use an app, make sure it is in the App Catalog. If not, you will need to request that it be added. Please give us 24 hours notice. Thank you for your patience!
When the iPads are ready, Brenda Burkett and I would like to do a brief overview with you and your students about iPad use along with some useful "tips and tricks" that will be helpful to you and your students. Let us know when you would like for us to visit your class for an iPad review!
Having trouble with an iPad? If you need an iPad repaired (cracked screen, buttons not working, etc.), please fill out an iPad Repair form and bring the iPad to the Learning Commons. We will then submit a work order for you. The form can be found here.
Check out these great resources!
Do you have a PBS Learning Media account? If not, GET ONE! There are many fantastic resources and videos on this site, including Daniel Tiger and Liberty's Kids. It is FREE to sign up for an account! http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/
SCDISCUS - YES, Google helps you and your students find information (and me too!), but don't forget about SCDISCUS for your research needs! YOUR taxes pay for this resource, so you should USE IT! You can find online encyclopedias, magazines, and more (some even searchable by Lexile!) We have access to BrainPOP Jr. through DISCUS and so much more. If you would like for me to teach a minilesson on DISCUS for your class, I'll be happy to do so! Students do need a username and password to access DISCUS at home. You were given a class set of labels in your Learning Commons folder the first week of school. http://scdiscus.org/
*All of these resources (and MORE) are linked on our school Symbaloo page! You may want to make it your home page on all devices that students have access to! Let us know if we can help you with this! http://npes.symbaloo.com/
LifeSkills & Lifelong Guidelines SPOTLIGHT!
There is a display of books when you enter the Learning Commons. This display will be updated each month with books about the LifeSkills & Lifelong Guideline for the month.
I will also add links and resources to our shared document available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NFsEIehMDFzjrxnwBPpJsen3KBnIgTe4EHJwA2nJLC8/edit
Please feel free to add your own resources for all to see! We are #bettertogether!
Lion Cub Storytime
Please share these dates in your classroom newsletter!
Save the Date!
We are planning LOTS of awesome programming and events this school year! Save the date for...
- Deadline to receive a summer reading prize - August 19
- National Library Card Sign Up Month - September 1 - 30
- "Read Your Way to the Big Game" Details coming SOON!
- Lion Cub Story Time - September 2
- Global Read Aloud - Kicks off in October
- Global Cardboard Challenge - October 1
- Star Wars READS Day - October 8
- Auggie's Birthday (from Wonder) - October 10
- Fall Book Fair - October 24 - 28 (Teacher Preview October 21)
- Reading Patrol - March 2
- Spring Book Fair - May 15 - 19 (Teacher Preview May 12)
AND MORE! Keep reading the newsletter each month to stay up to date with events and programs!