NEWSLETTER (Eye Cancer)
Tuesday, November 20
Josselyn Ramirez Pd 2nd .
What is cancer?
What is eye cancer?
Effects: What parts of the body are affected?
- Orbit (eye socket)
- Iris ( colored part of the eye ,Controls amount of light entering the eye)
- Adnexal (eyelid & tear glands)
- Cilinary Body ( mascular tissue that produces the watery fluid in the eye , helps eye focus)
- Chorid ( layer underneath the retina) * most common site for a tumor *
This is the parts of the eye , it shows where the cancer can start from.
Shows the cancer inside the eye.
Shows the cancer outside the eye.
Risk Factors / Symptoms
Risk Factors :Its anything that increases a person with anything that gives a chance to develop cancer .
- People over 50
- Average age is 55
- Rare in children
- People overage 70
- Melanoma more common in white people
- Melanoma less common in black people
- Affects about the same equal amount of women & men.
- Spots (around the eye)
- Moles (around the eye)
Symptoms:How do you know you have it ?
- Alternation in the shape of the pupil
- Blurring/ loss of vision
- Sensation of flashing lights
- A growing dark spot in the iris
Treatments: What can be done for people?
- Iridectomy: Surgical procedure that removes a part of the iris
- Irido-Trabeculectomy: Procedure in which removes a tumor layer
- Choroidectomy: Tumor removal in one piece
- Enucleation: Surgical Removal without cutting it
- Radiation Therapy: X-rays help destroy cancerous cells
- Laser Treatment: Laser kills the cell of melanoma with beams
- Cold Treatment / CryoTherapy: Helps destroy the tumor cells ,not used much .
Cures :are the treatments effective?
Depending on how bad your eye is. Its better if you go get your eye checked as soon as you think somethings wrong with your eye so you can get treatment faster and a better probability to find a cure.
Prevention: Can this type of cancer be prevented ? how?
Their is not really a known reason of a way to prevent on getting eye cancer.
You can try preventing it by using sunglasses while outside in the sunlight.
That is because sunlight causes most skin cancer.
- Organizational web page
- Cancer.net / Cancer.org
2. Closest support group
4050 North Oakland Avenue
Shorewood W 153211 US
Monday - Friday
Open 24 Hours
3. Current Research Study
Researchers have found out that genes , proteins,and other factors may cause melonoma which is a big type of eye cancer.
4.Current Patient On-Line Blog/Journal
MD Anderson Cancer Center