Information Related to School Closures and Online Learning
School Closure Extended through April 22
KSD School Community:
To remain consistent with the St. Louis County Stay at Home Orders, guidance from local health and government officials, and in the best interest of the health and safety of our students, staff, and communities all St. Louis Public and City public schools will remain closed through Wednesday, April 22. Details and updates during the closure can be found at kirkwoodschools.org/covid19.
Five Details for the Week of March 23
1. Food Assistance
Food assistance is being arranged and will begin on Tuesday, partnering with Chartwells, KirkCare, the Kirkwood School District Foundation, and other school districts, civic organizations/food pantries to assist in the effort.
- If you need food assistance, please complete the online form.
- Students who live in the City of St. Louis will be served by the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation. Please watch for communication from the VICC office.
- If you reside in the Riverview Gardens or Normandy School Districts you will receive specific instructions indicating meal pick up locations and times.
- If you want to help in this effort, please go to kirkwoodschools.org/cares to make a donation or sign up to volunteer.
2. KSD Learns Online
Online Instruction will begin Thursday, March 26. Families and students will receive an email or Schoology message from their teacher on Wednesday afternoon, March 25.
- Please complete our online form if your student needs assistance with Internet Access at home.
- Tech support will be provided M-F from 8 am to 4 pm, starting Thursday, March 26. The landing page for support is @kirkwoodschools.org/covid19
In the Kirkwood School District, K-12 special educators will be online and available to students and families between 10:00-2:00 (office hours) daily. Special education teachers will be using Schoology, Zoom, and email to communicate with families about student learning. Special education staff will also be calling each student/family on their caseload at least once per week. Special education teachers will be collaborating with teachers, related service personnel, ABA personnel and other personnel within SSD and KSD.
3. Social and Emotional Resources
Links to social and emotional resources are provided on the kirkwoodschools.org/covid19 website. In addition, school counselors and social workers are available for support. To locate email addresses, visit the online Staff Directory.
4. KSD Family Webinar
5. Additional Items
- School districts will not be required to make up SY 2019-20 calendar hours lost due to COVID-19 and missed calendar hours will not impact the calculation of average daily attendance.
- Statewide assessments (MAP, MAP-A and EOC) have been canceled for the remainder of the SY 2019-20 school year.
Buildings will be closed and non-instructional staff will be available online or by email (Staff Directory is Online) or call the KSD hotline at 314.213.6121 between 8 to 4 pm.
- The April 7 election has been postponed to June 2, 2020. Additional details will be provided in the future.
- Due to the updated executive order, the pick-up day for student devices was conducted on Sunday, March 22. At this time, all schools, playgrounds and the E.L. Lyons Memorial Stadium are closed.
- Please be aware of fraudulent emails using names of principals and staff members. Please look carefully at the name in the “From:” field. All Kirkwood emails are formatted with firstname.lastname@example.org. There is always a dot between the first and last name and the emails will come from @kirkwoodschools.org. Also, we are adding an (external) warning to all emails that come from outside the District’s firewall.