Vocabulary Presentation Lesson 8
Guess the Word:
Ex- from, out of
Exacerbate Vs. Exasperate
- Exacerbate means to take an already bad situation and make it worse
- Exasperate means to irritate
- Situations get exacerbated (worsened)/People get exasperated (irritated)
Practice! Choose the incorrect usage(s) of the word
2. The soldiers tried to pacify the citizens with the threat of their weapons, but this only exacerbated the situation.
The obnoxious screams from the children finally exacerbated their mother.
3. His insulting comments only succeeded in exacerbating the quarrel with his girlfriend.
4. Many parents were exacerbated by the senseless school delays.