January 8th - January 12th
- School resumes after winter break.
- After school clubs begin.
Monday, January 15th
- No School--Martin Luther King Day
Wednesday, January 17th
- Harper Mindfulness PTO meeting, 9:00 am
- D39 Education Foundation Meeting, MEC, 7-8 pm
Thursday, January 18th
- Kindergarten Enrollment 2018-2019 school year, Harper lobby 9:30 am-6:30 pm
- D39 Pass Meeting, Highcrest Middle School, 9:15-10:15 am
Friday, January 19th
- Kindergarten Enrollment 2018-2019 school year, Harper lobby 8:55 am-3:15 pm
Monday, January 22nd
- Harper Open Gym, 6:30-8:00 pm
From the Harper Health Office
Please take a moment to check in with the health office web page for important updates regarding illness, vision and hearing screening, and 2nd grade dental exams:
Our students’ safety is a top concern—absence reporting plays a key role in this goal. FAQs about reporting absence or late arrival:
How do I report my child’s absence or late arrival?
Call the Harper safe phone/attendance line: 847-512-6250. Please leave your child’s name, grade, teacher, and the reason for the absence or late arrival.
I told my child’s teacher about the absence. Do I still need to call the safe phone?
Yes. Notifying your child’s teacher does not replace a call to the safe phone.
Do I need to call the safe phone if my child is leaving school early?
No. Early pickups need only be communicated to you child’s teacher.
Thank you for your continued cooperation!
- What to do on these cold winter nights? Open Gym is happening at Harper! Mondays, 6:30-8:00 pm 1/22-3/19. Harper Students only (no non-Harper siblings, sorry!) Limit 30 students, there will be a door monitor keeping a list. Clean shoes must be brought in for the gym. Students may not go to their lockers so you must bring shoes from home. A parent needs to stay with their child(ren). This is not a drop off. The gym program will be run by D39 gym teacher, Mr. Chris Toy! He is awesome and the reason we have to cap our number at 30. First come/first serve. See you there!
- Not sure what Junior Great Books is or why you/your child might like it? I was like you last year! But then my friend convinced me to try it & even lead my daughter's group. It was a great chance for she and I to spend a bit more time together reading one classic story a week with great messages about responsibility, bravery, friendship... and then she was able to escape the cold & discuss it with her peers over lunch once a week (like a mini-book club for kids). I saw these stories come alive for her through thinking through the discussion questions, acting out some of the parts, and drawing scenes. I highly recommend signing up for JGB - but do it soon! Thanks, Kate Rivera. We have re-opened registration in case you missed it. Please register your child here!
- Does your child have a January Birthday? Don't forget to sign up here for BIRTHDAY BOOKS! Kids love it and it's a great way to donate a new book to our beautiful library!
- 1/16--High Touch High Tech visits 1st graders with their Weather or Not program
On January 16th, 1st graders will experience hands-on science with the High Touch High Tech "Weather or Not©” program, led by High Touch High Tech. 1st graders will be taking an up-close look at a real tornado, making thunder, touching lightning and learning about all of the amazing properties of air and air pressure. This Enrichment series is brought to you by iGNITE!
Thank you for your contributions to iGNITE!
- Link to community events:
- Wilmette Park District hosts after school clubs for students at Central, Harper, McKenzie January 9 - March 23. Registration began November 28th
MasterChef Junior is hosting open casting calls in Chicago on January 13th for children ages 8-13.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org