Volume 2, Edition 25 April 23, 2021
STINGER SHOUT OUTS
CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER!
We are so proud of you Asah and excited to see your future accomplishments!
AND THE WINNERS ARE!
In addition to congratulating each and every one of our students, we would like to acknowledge their teachers; Sarah Ostergaard, Kyle Yobs, Jeremy Duffy and Lisa Boulware, as well as FIVE teacher, Steve Fisher. This is an amazing accomplishment for all!
Members of the 1st Place team will now go on to the National Semi-Final Round. Congratulations to all and Good Luck on the next round!!
To see our social media posts, you can click on the following links:
The Back Street Girls
Jakeira Gillie, Tyonna Jones, Alexandria Mack, and Daniella Williams
Harrison Pham, Kody Scott, Jacob Sherer, and Alyssa Smith
Andrew Smith, Remaliah Smith, Korinna Stroud, and Madeleine Thomas
IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES, EXCEPT IT'S MATH
20 or higher on the ACT
1020 or Higher on SAT
Three or Higher on AP Exam
Four or Higher on IB Exam
6 Hrs of Dual Enrollment Credit (with a C or better)
Silver or Higher on WIN
32 or Higher on ASVAB
40 hours of WBL (Senior Internship)
*CTE Completer + Career Certification
Ms. Bundrick is pictured on the left wearing a shirt from Bitty and Beau's in Charleston, SC. It is a amazing coffee shop run by individuals with disabilities. It is so indicitive of the heart and passion Ms. Bundrick has for Special Education students, families and the community.
We are so proud for Ms. Bundrick and for Clemson as they are as lucky to have her as we are!!! #IrmoStrong
This Board does important work for our students and it is an honor to be selected as a part of their mission. Ms Jacobs is an excellent selection as she has dedicated nearly 2 decades of service to students and education.
To read more about the Advisory Board and Ms. Jacobs, the link to their website is here: https://virtualsc.org/schooladvisoryboard/?fbclid=IwAR3vlb1JuruLaj2IP3AqlLdSQ9XFSBBbB4UBgYq8Jbdrrq2NaZ-MUCHMcW8
TEACHER GRANTS AWARDED
- Matt Hedden (Science): Grant funds will be used to purchase of a CNC Router, which is a specialized tool for cutting. This will be used by the IHS robotics team, the Pandamaniacs to help them in education and competition.
- Analisa Smith, Sarah Leverett (SPED): "Remote learning comes with many unique challenges. The virtual classroom calls for multiple means of engagement for student choice and individualized instruction. Dr. Analisa Smith and Mrs. Sarah Leverett have combined digital resources and new technology tools to remove barriers and meet the needs of all our learners. This grant allows the students to partake of lessons that are engaging and interactive in design while still maintaining virtual and distancing guidelines. Through the grant, IHS Learning Strategies and IHS FIVE teachers will also have access to a shared repository of accessible templates and tested interactive lessons to use with digital and technology driven F2F instruction. Thank you, IHSEF!" - Analisa Smith & Sarah Leverett
- Christine Hampton (SPED): Grant funds will be used for the purchase of items for SPED classrooms. These items will be used the classroom enironment as well as for learning and instruction.
- The purchase of PBIS items to be used as rewards for the 2021-2022 academic year. PBIS is an anacronym for Positive Behavior Interventions and Support. This program encourages positive feedback and awards not only for behavioral excellence, but progress toward improvement. It also educates students on how to create and achieve heathly emotional and social goals. "Grant funds will be used to purchase event tickets, t-shirts, and prizes to stock our PBIS store. These funds will allow us to purchase incentives we know the students want. Budgets are tight and the IHSEF grant doubled our yearly budget! We can do twice as much as we planned thanks to IHSEF. PBIS is most grateful for the generous grant and the great work it will allow us to do." - Catherine Gallegos - PBIS/SEL Committee Chair
- Funds for a PBIS/SEL celebration at Pelican's for our IHS-FIVE students
- College-and-Career-Readiness Committee (CCR):
"The college and career readiness committee desired to acknowledge virtual students who were unable to attend in-school celebrations. To address this vital need, the committee elected to write this grant to seek funding so that all students would receive an incentive for being CCR. In South Carolina, a student is considered college and career ready by meeting at least one or all of the marks listed in the CCR student spotlight article above." - Charity Simmons CCR Committee Chair
COMMUNITY NEWS AND SHOUT OUTS
Each year the South Carolina Department of Education hosts an annual statewide event to recognize high school seniors who have chosen to serve our country by enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces or attending one of our distinguished military service academies. In order to ensure that all IHS students who qualify are recognized, students should complete this form no later than May 2, 2021. If you have questions please contact Ms. Rice, Career Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting Room 106. Upon completing this form you will be contacted with further directions.
The virtual celebration will air on May 27, 2021. A red, white, and blue honor cord will be distributed to all students who qualify to wear at graduation ceremonies.
You can also view the official Decision Day flier, which is attached to this week's Buzz.
COLLEGE & CAREER EVENTS
DATE:APRIL 26, 2021
LOCATION: Computer Lab 137
PROLOGISTIX-HIRING EVENT FOR SENIORS
DATE: APRIL 30, 2021
LOCATION: ROOM 106
NEED TO KNOW
Exam Schedule - 2nd Semester
IB EXAM INFORMATION
Irmo High School has been approved by the International Baccalaureate Assessment Team to shift our assessment method for the May 2021 testing session. We are moving to a form of assessment that IB has named the Calculated Route. Under this route, students will not sit for IB exams in May 2021. Students' IB scores will be calculated based on their Internal Assessments and Predicted Grades. This decision was made in collaboration with our Office of Instruction to ensure that all students have equal access to meet the assessment requirements for the IB Diploma or Career certificate. IB is providing this model as a choice for schools because, under the traditional model, make-up IB exams are not offered.
Please note, this assessment model applies only to the final IB score that students will receive. It does not correlate to the grade in the class. Students will continue learning the content and curriculum for their IB courses for the remainder of the year and take end-of-year assessments at the school level. They will receive a final grade for the class and the appropriate GPA weighting as they do in all other IHS courses.
Contact Mrs. Prochak if you have any questions at email@example.com
REMINDERS AND INFORMATION
RETURNING MISSED CALLS FROM IHS
Link to the IHS Athletics website:
CENTER FOR THE ARTS
Link to the Center for the Arts:
Link to the IHS School Counseling website: