February 2017, Mrs. Walldorf
As we settle into our third quarter of school, there is still plenty going on. In science, our focus this month is recognizing chemical and physical properties of matter; and knowing how to identify a change in matter as a physical or chemical change. This unit lends itself to mixing stuff together and seeing what happens...always fun and interesting. Encourage your student to continue to study their glossary words a couple nights a week.
As noted below, there are two things happening on Monday. First, students' Invention Convention projects should be brought to class on Monday. Information about this has gone home in Tuesday Packets. Also, next week is Book Fair. Our class goes to Media on Mondays, so they will have their visit to the Book Fair at that time. I will send the catalog home with students tomorrow.
I wanted to let you know that I will be out of town all next week. Some of you know that my husband has been fighting cancer the past year. He is on his way to being cancer-free, and we are going to celebrate that and our 25th anniversary. Deborah Foster will be subbing for me. I will be back in the classroom on Monday, Feb. 6th.
I also want to remind you of several other important dates to put on your calendar:
- Next Monday, Jan. 30, students' projects for Invention Convention are due at school. Students will present their project that morning in the classroom before taking it to the gym for the school to see. Thursday, Feb. 2, is the PTA meeting and awards ceremony for Invention Convention.
- Next week, Jan. 30 - Feb. 3, is our Book Fair. Our class will visit the Book Fair on Monday because that is our day that we have media. Students can also visit any day first thing in the morning or the end of the day.
- We will be going to the Mary Starling Concert on February 6th.
- Valentine's Day Party- Tuesday, Feb. 14. I am sending home our classroom roster this Tuesday in Tuesday Packets. If your child sends Valentine's cards, please be sure they include cards for all students in our classroom. We will have a Valentine's Day Snack that day...thank you, Anna Gligorovic and Beth Welsh for providing that!
- Thursday, Feb. 16 is our field trip to see the play, Freedom Train.