Jewell Jaguar Update
Mark Your Calendars!!
- January 18th, Martin Luther King Day, NO SCHOOL
- January 21st, PTO Meeting 6pm in the Media Center
- February 5th, Teacher Work Day, NO SCHOOL
- February 15th, President's Day, NO SCHOOL
- February 18th, PTO Meeting 6pm in the Media Center
- February 24th, 11:45am release for students
- February 26th, PTO Carnival
- March 2-3 Parent Teacher Conferences
Important Reminders from the Office
- Arrival Time: The bell rings for students to go to class at 8:55am. We do not have any supervision for students prior to 8:30am. At 8:30am students can get breakfast or go out to recess.
- Student Tardies: All students arriving after 9:00am must sign in at the office and pick up a late slip to give to their teacher.
- Student Absences: If your student is going to be absent, please contact our attendance line at 541-355-2115. Automated calls go out to parents at approximately 10:15am if your child has an unexcused absence.
- After School Plans: If there is a change in your child's routine at the end of the day, please make sure to convey that to your child before school and send a note to their teacher. If there is an urgent change, please call before 3pm. Release time can be very busy and we want to make sure your child gets home as planned. If we have not heard it from the parent or received a change in writing, we will assume that the regular routine is in place.
Annual PTO Carnival is February 26th!
Please mark your new 2016 calendars with an important date: February 26 is the annual Carnival! This year's theme is Super Heroes, and we hope to show all our Incredi-Boys and Super-Girls (and their adult chaperones) an awesome time. Here are some ways you can get involved:
1. Donate a basket for packaging raffle items.
2. Donate an item or experience to the raffle or silent auction. Or, ask your social network if they have something they are willing to donate. Last year, a friend of a Jewell parent donated some amazing athletic apparel from his employer, raising over $600 for the school!
3. Consider becoming a corporate sponsor, gaining exposure to over 500 local families. We have creative options including naming/designing a Carnival activity or having your logo on Carnival materials.
4. Volunteer for a shift to help supervise a game or activity the night of the Carnival. This is crucial, as we'll have to cancel some games without enough adult volunteers.
5. Volunteer to help before or after the event, such as selling game bracelets before or after school in the lobby, helping with set-up or clean-up, making cotton candy, or blowing up balloons (with a compressor--fun!).
For more information or to volunteer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a note in the PTO box at school.
Other dates to put on your calendar are the next PTO meetings. Meet other parents, hear great updates from the Principal, and contribute your ideas. We start at 6PM in the school library, usually the third Thursday of the month. The next two meeting dates are January 21 and February 18.
Not a PTO member? It's never too late! Grab a membership form from the PTO bulletin board in the lobby or email email@example.com. Annual dues are $10. Membership gives you more information about school events, forms bonds with school staff, and ensures your voice is heard in matters of fundraising and programming.
Happy New Year from the PTO Board. Here's to a wonderful 2016 for each child, family, and staff member at Jewell.
Smarter Balance Testing Information from the Oregon Department of Education
How to Find Out if School is Closed or Delayed
- Sign up for BLConnect, an emergency alert text messaging system. Register at https://connect.bend.k12.or.us
- Like Bend-La Pine Schools on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BendLaPineSchools
- Follow us on Twitter @BLPSchools
- Call our hotline, English 541-323-SNOW (541-323-7669); Spanish 541-355-0044
- Tune in to local media