News from RStar
Click the link above to review our BTSN Informational Videos that were shared at Sneak Peek!
Want to Recognize A Staff Member?!
2018 STAR DADS - 1st week of School Drop Off/Pick up Help
Star DADS are needed for the first week of school!
As we gear up for the start of school we need to anticipate traffic issues that are typical during the first week of school. For the past three years we have recruited Star DADS (ie. father figures) to help out with traffic and pedestrian control at drop-off and pick-up.
If you or anyone you know is interested in helping out with pick-up and/or drop-off the first week of school please have them sign up at the below link. Please feel free to sign up for the time(s) that work best for your schedule. A reminder will be sent to the email address you provide!
School Supply Lists
NEW No-Birthday Treat Guidelines
Our elementary school is implementing a “no birthday treats” guideline. This decision was made after much thought and discussion at the building and district level. There are a variety of reasons why we made this change, the main one being to coordinate with our district’s wellness policy on making healthy choices, in alignment with federal regulations.
Other rationale for restricting treats at school include the following concerns:
- Allergies: Due to the increasing number of students with food allergies, schools have had to be extremely careful with any food items entering the school building. It is a safety issue and something that we need to take very seriously.
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyle: The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that one in six school-age children are overweight; triple the proportion in 1980. The agency has projected that one in three children born in 2000 will eventually develop a form of diabetes linked to being overweight.
- Equity: Some parents are not able to provide treats for their child on birthdays or special days because of financial hardships.
The purpose of this change is to assure a school environment that promotes and protects students’ health, well- being, and ability to learn by supporting healthy eating, physical activity and healthy choices. This change brings together current research to create guidelines that help us with healthy choices for all of our students. If you are interested in reading the district’s policy on wellness, it is available on the District website.
Classroom teachers will continue to recognize and celebrate children on their special day in special ways.
Thanks in advance for your flexibility and for caring about the health of our students.
FOOD-FREE WAYS TO CELEBRATE BIRTHDAYS AT SCHOOL:
- Ask your teacher about a special “recess pass” and choose the main activity the class does at recess time.
- Bring in your favorite book and the teacher will read it to the class.
- Give a gift to the class, such as a book (write an inscription inside), a toy for the play area, or a game.
- Get a special crown to wear at school all day.
- Provide a special craft for the class that day.
- Decorate your desk with balloons for the day.
Parking to pick up students?
MVP Training Dates
- August 15 Rosehill 6:30 PM
- August 16 Belinder 3:00 PM & Brookwood 6:00 PM
- August 22 Briarwood 6:30 PM
- August 24 OPC 1:45 PM
- August 27 Prairie 8:30 AM
- August 28 Trailwood 6:00 PM
- August 29 SFT 6:30 PM
- August 30 Corinth 8:15 AM & 6:00 PM
- August 31 OPC 8:00 AM
- September 6 Prairie 6:00 PM
- September 7 EA 5:30 PM
- September 18 OP 5:30 PM
- September 18 Ray Marsh 4:00 PM
- September 20 Roesland 5:30 PM
- Also, CAA 9:30 AM sessions on 9/25, 10/2 & 10/9 and 6:30 PM sessions on 8/14 & 8/21.
Need a Car Pick-Up Sign?
Make sure you have signed up through PeachJar to receive our digital flyers. This is how we distribute community flyers for upcoming events and information.
Join Our PTA Family!
Want to Help with Chat-N-Chew?
PTA sponsors Chat & Chew 4 times each school year for grades 2-6. Students read a preselected book and spend lunch discussing with their classmates.
Adult volunteers are needed to host each Chat & Chew session. Sign up for one or all sessions.
All materials are provided.
- October 16(2nd), 17(3rd), 18(4th), 19(5th/6th)
- December 11(2nd), 12(3rd), 13(4th), 14(5th/6th)
- February 26(2nd), 27(3rd), 28(4th), March 1(5th/6th)
- April 9(2nd), 10(3rd), 11(4th), 12(5th/6th)
Want to be a Room Parent??
Room parents are needed to plan, organize and run 2 class parties each year: Halloween & Valentines Day.
Room parties are organized by grade and planning time is allotted after the PTA general meeting on September 11 at 7:00pm (Halloween planning) and January 15 at 7:00pm (Valentine planning). These are suggested planning times, however planning can be done at other times.
Please sign up to be a room parent coordinator or a room helper:
- Parent Coordinator: Be the contact for your student's classroom regarding all party planning and supplies. Attend the 2 planning sessions & each room party. Organize parents in your student's classroom to assist during each party. Communicate party plans with your student's teacher.