WHS Student Services
September & October 2017
October: Counselors started October off by going into junior history classes for Future Planning. Juniors checked their transcripts to ensure they were on the right path to graduation, explored options for their future, learned about the electives available to them and began the college search process in family connections. On October 3rd, counselors hosted after school "College Chat" where seniors came to work on their college applications, create FSA IDs, and receive one on one assistance in the application process.
FAFSA Completion Nights: October 10th at WHS at 6:30 PM & 7:45 PM in English, and October 11th in Spanish. October 26th, Thursday FAFSA completion (day program) 10-2PM- See Ms. Amador-Zapata.
Groups: Counselors and specialists have been working to get our groups for the school year up and running. Specialists have been working hard in supporting our students in their social-emotional lives both through individual and group settings. Starting second quarter on Wednesday October 18th, counselors and counseling interns will be running an AP Student Support Group. The goal of this group is to support AP students by focusing on stress management, study and organizational skills for college-level classes, and time management.
THANK YOU STAFF
We understand how valuable each day of classroom instruction is for your students. We thank you for your flexibility in allowing counselors to come into your classrooms. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated!
- WHS Counselors & Interns
During the rest of October, student services will be continuing junior Future Planning in U.S. History classes and will begin running the AP Student Support Group. During Sophomore English classes, specialists and counselors will deliver "Signs of Suicide" (SOS) on October 25th and October 26th all day. Starting in November, we will have Sophomore Future Planning in the English classes on November 1st and November 2nd.
- AP Student Group: Begins October 18th during the lunch periods
- SOS "Signs of Suicide": October 25th and 26th in Sophomore English classes, all day.
- Career Nights: Wednesday, October 18th at Rolling Meadows High School- Engineering & Industrial Technology and Business & Computers
- Harper College Open House: Thursday, October 12th 5-7:30 PM at Harper College in the Wojcik Conference Center.
- October 26th, Thursday FAFSA completion (day program) 10-2PM- See Ms. Amador-Zapata.
- Sophomore Future Planning: November 1st (periods 1-5) & November 2nd (periods 6-9)
- SNOWBALL: Saturday, November 11th
- Advising the Student-Athlete Night: Monday, November 20th at 7:00 PM - Forest View Educational Center (FVEC)
Click HERE for the Fall 2017 Senior Parent Newsletter from Ms. Amador-Zapata
Natural Disasters Help: General Mills and Box Tops for Education
The Student Services Interns for the 2017- 2018 school year are:
Ali Levato working with Joyce Brewer
Katie Wanner working with Brandi Rojas
Lindsay Fier working with Bob Sochowski
Grace Kim working with Grace Alderson
and Danielle Antonucci working with Svetlana Fastovskaya