Procrastination our sweet enemy
What is procrastination?
If i choose to go by the definition procrastination is the practice of carrying out less urgent tasks in preference to more urgent tasks or doing more pleasurable things instead of less pleasurable ones. But if i choose to go for a lighter approach to this definition it is simply the monkey in our mind that says " you know what, what i have to do is not important, i can do that tomorrow", or " maybe i should watch few youtube videos or check facebook posts before i start studying ". Because of this we keep delaying our work as long as possible often preferably to the deadline date .
Why do we procastinate
Procrastination is not a problem of time management or of planning, procrastinators are not different in their ability to estimate time, although they are more optimistic than others. The usually known reasons for procrastination are :-
- Not knowing where to start :- Generally if the task is overwhelming and we do not know where to start we divert our minds to other tasks which would provide us pleasure for the short time and hence .
- Displeasure of doing the task:- Sometimes we do not like the task which has to be done and just to avoid the displeasure of doing the task we procrastinate.
- Fear of Failure:- If we are doing a task according to which we are going to be judged and measured, fear of failure to avoid looking stupid or weak also leads to procrastination. It is usually to throw blame it on the situation rather than our own ability to do the work.
How to stop procrastinating
To avoid procrastinating is not an easy process. Saying things like getting a planner is saying someone in depression to cheer up and it is not that simple. It is a process of a lot of things combined which helps us get out of procrastination. Instead of looking for small happy moments. Here are some tips to avoid procrastination :-
- PLAN GOALS:- we need to plan our goals and what all we need to do , and start implementing it
- PLAN TIME:- Restrict yourself to time, plan your goals according to time, be time restricted towards yourself .
- PLAN RESOURCES:- planning your resources and time should become like a habit, before you start doing anything plan the time and resources required for it.
- PLAN THE PROCESS:- just before starting with a work close your eyes and imagine the whole process , once you have imagined it all the way through it would be easier for you to do it As your mind has already imagined you doing it .
- PLAN FOR DISTRACTIONS:- Your mind will still want to wander of while you are doing work so you have to make a commitment to your work that you would not bulge before completing it.