Friday, October 6, 2017
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
- Did you know that the text above "2017-2018 Spring Hill Middle School Calendar of Events" is a link to our calendar google doc that is updated weekly? Click on this to see all of our currently schedule events for the year. This link will remain in the Friday Review for the entire year.
- Do you have students failing? Do you ever look at your overall passing/failing students? Do they get an opportunity to retest on assessments to improve their grades?
- How many of your EC students are failing? Are they receiving their accommodations?
- SUPERVISION IS KEY! Leaving students unsupervised at their lockers, walking down the hall, or in their classroom is taking a HUGE CHANCE. We do not want to put anyone in a position that can't defend a fight or student injury.
- On October 13 the Front Office Staff has been challenged to decorate/inspire us! Who will be next?
October is Bullying Awareness Month
There will be a number of activists going on at Spring Hill. Our theme for the month is:
stand together against bullying!"
- October 25th is unity day. Staff and students are encouraged to wear orange.
- There will be weekly messages delivered by morning announcements by the anti bullying group.
- There will a locker surprise day.
- Teachers will receive materials for students to participate in the pledge wall outside of the media center/ counselor office.
- We will have a poster contest. More info to come on that!
As always, Mrs. Snell is available for classroom lessons on bullying!
- SIT Reps - Please get any agenda items from your team and pass along to Mr. Wedlock/ Mrs. Harris. (SIT Meeting 10/17)
- Are you supporting our chocolate fundraiser? Please encourage students to participate. As you learned in the Staff Meeting, we have the potential to earn $12,000 for incentives. Remind students to bring their money each week!
- When you are absent, please see Audrey to find out how to ensure you have a good sub in place. Please leave assignments that do not involve students being on the computer.
- Club Advisors (Project Pink, MOVE, Beta, Student Council, etc.) - Please make sure that you use Friday Review to post meeting times ahead of time. A list of students should be provided to teachers to ensure ONLY students in the club are allowed to attend meetings during Spartan Time.
- District parent surveys will be open for completion from October 6 - 13. Remind students that this survey is located on our school website.
- Students will be administered the student survey on October 9th during Spartan Time. (See webpage)
- Staff members should have taken the district survey on October 6. If you didn't, see Estella.
- Please be sure that students have a pass to leave class. We will work on providing each teacher with a pass for student use.
- View the district's CTE newsletter here: https://www.smore.com/g6p0x
- Learning Focused FAQs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kOMbiDnS3vwSVWtfYmBg01j8W-0AeC5eQ73xfWTqXno/edit
- Shout out to Estella Johnson for organizing our required district PD on Friday.
- Shout out to Audrey Kingston for getting all of us fed this week!
- Shout out to everyone for playing a part in a successful parent-teacher conference evening!
- Shout out to everyone for getting their PDPs done ON TIME this week!
- Shout out to the Elective Team for being flexible during the Bullying presentations and on the half day!
- Shout out to Nurse Mears for ensuring that all 7th grade immunizations were complete.
- Shout out to the Champions for its extra effort in teamwork.
- Shout out to Coach Hersey for his hard work in setting up for our home volleyball game against Carver at SHS.
- Shout out the the Pep Band and Cheerleaders for making their debut at the football game vs. Hamlet this week.
- Staff, please avoid the front office at dismissal to eliminate disruption from dismissal routine.
- Homeroom teachers....please feel free to invite your students to fill out the survey on our school website to order books for the Media Center. If they include their name, I will let them know the status of the order!
Please be reminded that it is a district expectation to enter grades in PowerSchool on a weekly basis. Parents, guardians, and student use the Parent/Student Portal to check grades and should be able to see their up-to-date progress.
Complete the anonymous Club Feedback form here: https://goo.gl/forms/87ADpfMoo29Rx0v42
Monday, October 9- Students complete district student survey in Spartan Time; Administrative PLC at 9:00am; National School Lunch Week Begins; Volleyball Playoffs at 4:15 at Home vs. Anson (Admissions: RA Harris; Concessions: Monitor: )
Tuesday, October 10- ELA/SS/Science Grade Level Subject Planning; Special Faculty Meeting in the Library 3:45; Golf @ Deercroft
Wednesday, October 11- Student Support Services Meeting at 9:30am; Grade Level/Team Meetings (as needed); Principal Leadership; Techbook Training during all Planning Periods; Football @ Home vs. Cordova (Admissions: Knauss & Lawson; Concessions: Gore & Wedlock; Monitor: Oswald)
Thursday, October 12- Benefits Enrollment in Teacher's Lounge; Math Grade Level Subject Planning; AP Leadership; Cross Country @ Home (Concessions: Snell & VanDeVelde; Race Assistants: X. McRae & T. Johnson); Band Fruit Fundraiser Begins
Friday, October 13- Benefits Enrollment in Teacher's Lounge; TLC; National School Lunch Ends; Club Day
Saturday, October 14 - John Blue Cotton Festival
Sunday, October 15 - John Blue Cotton Festival
Monday, October 16 - Boss's Day; School Bus Safety Week Begins; PBIS Committee Meeting @ 3:45pm; Volleyball vs. Cornerston at Home ( )
Tuesday, October 17 - Oban students visit; Golf Championship; SIT Meeting
Wednesday, October 18 - ELA Benchmarks; Football Pep Rally 2:30pm; Wacky Wednesday; Learning Focused PD (during planning); Football vs Carver @ SHS @ 5pm (Admissions: Henderson, Francis, Blue; Concessions: Gross; Monitors: Bream & Miller)
Thursday, October 19 - Math Benchmarks; Cross Country @ Richmond
Friday, October 20- No Clubs due to Benchmark Make Ups
Monday, October 23 - 8th Grade Science Benchmark; PTO World's Finest Chocolate Fundraiser Ends
Tuesday, October 24- Benchmark Make Ups
Wednesday, October 25- Benchmark Make Ups; Stand Up Against Bullying "Unity Day" Wear Orange
Thursday, October 26 - Benchmark Make Ups; Cross Country @ Anson
Friday, October 27 - Benchmark Make Ups; End of 9 Weeks
Monday, October 30 - Optional Teacher Workday; Understanding Poverty Training (select teachers 8:00-3:30)
Tuesday, October 31 - Halloween
Final Thoughts... Habits of Mind
A Habit of Mind means having a disposition toward behaving intelligently when confronted with problems, the answers to which are not immediately known: dichotomies, dilemmas, enigmas and uncertainties. It means getting into the habit of behaving intelligently when you DON’T know the answer. http://www.habitsofmindinstitute.org/resources/quotes/hom-quotes/quotes-habits/
“The sum of one’s intelligence is the sum of one’s habits of mind.”
Isn't this what we all want from your students? Be the model. Model the habits of mind you want to see in our students. Dedicate yourself to being a lifelong learner and growing.