WATC Adjunct In-service Fall 2014
Tuesday, Aug. 5th, 5:30-9pm
4501 E 47th St S
Welcome & Introductions
- David Jones
- Lori Stockstill
- John Stockstill
- Cynthia Townsend
- Alicia Habermehl
Need to request a substitute for your class?
- contact Shelby Jansen: WATC 677-1921; cell 316-993-1988
- classes will only be cancelled in case of an emergency and there is not enough time to find a substitute
- adjuncts pay each other $25/hour
- General Education Class Canellation Phone Line: 316-677-9559 (Monitored 24 hours a day!)
- Must be in BlackBoard (Read Me First)
- Contract between YOU and the STUDENT; Let students know what you expect of them and what they can expect from you!
- Current Course descriptions & textbook information can be found in BlackBoard in the Mathematics Department course.
- Adjunct In-Service is mandatory! (could impact future course assignments)
Faculty pay agreements
Evaluation - you will receive this online!
AGENDA for Math Department Meeting
Mission - Mathematics Department
BlackBoard - Are you Ready?
- NEW Mathematics Department Course
- NEW BlackBoard instructor Checklist
- What should you include in your Course Work for Students?
- Is your BlackBoard course and Pearson course Sync'd and ready for the first day?
- Do you plan on reserving a computer lab for the first day? Be sure to contact Bonnie Engelken (assistant registrar).
- Would you like Shelby to help you out on the first day?
- 2014-2015 Reviews and Formula Sheets in Bb
- Target students that typically enroll late
- Online, hybrid, & traditional formats for Math Fundamentals, Intermediate Algebra with Review, and College Algebra
Coming soon (Fall 2015) - PACER Math
MISSION: The PACER Mathematics course is designed to foster student success through cultivating students’ self-confidence, self-management, and by encouraging a positive attitude. PACER Mathematics courses are designed so that students are able to self-accelerate through the curriculum while mastering the concepts needed to be successful in College Algebra. (PACER: Personalized Accelerated College Education Readiness)
- the MALL (Math Accelerated Learning Lab) will be in G-211
- Developmental Mathematics re-design
- Will include ALL concepts beginning with Basic Arithmetic and moving through Intermediate Algebra
- Goal - Personalized student pathways to College Algebra
- NEW College Algebra with Review Course will be created for students that test into Intermediate or College Algebra
- Training videos in BlackBoard (see Professional Development folder in Bb)
- Still need help with BlackBoard and Pearson? Schedule a 1-on-1 meeting with Shelby before you leave tonight!
- Be sure your students are using the required materials! Workbook, graphing calculator, etc.
- Bb document: Calculator Competencies
- Bb document: Course Delivery Guidelines/Protocols/Expectations
- HLC requirement: Online courses MUST include weekly/module instructions with related content! This would also work well for hybrid and traditional courses! See sample in BlackBoard.
- Don't forget to turn-in paper Final Exams to Shelby
- Popcorn - How do you grade exams? All or nothing? partial credit?
- How do you prepare your students for an Exam?
- Test Corrections vs. Re-Test? What have you tried and what works best for your students?
- Standardized time...discuss
- TestGen - need training?