UBMS Weekly Update
January 15, 2016
2015-2016 THEME: "HAVE THE COURAGE TO SUCCEED!"
Introducing our NEW "UB Special" Award!
We are pleased to give this week's "UB Special" Award to ANYSIA KELLY!
Anysia has been putting in extra hours at tutoring and it has paid off! She is proudly bringing her grades up. We've noticed Anysia maturing into a kind and considerate young woman, who has recently extended her hand in friendship to help a fellow UBMS student get a ride home.
Please congratulate and thank Anysia for being special! Keep up the good work!
Spark, Youth Apprenticeship (formerly known as "School to Work")
PARENT INFORMATIONAL MEETINGS
Horace Mann: Wednesday, February 3rd at 5:30 in the Media Center
Register with Mrs. Goebel or Mrs. Will
Applications Due by February 10th
Fondy High: Wednesday, February 3rd at 5:30 in the LGI Room
Current Sophomore and Junior students should be considering this opportunity to earn school credit while getting work experience and pay in a field of their interest!
Programming - Required and Non-Required...
- TUESDAY the 26th: "Financial Brackets with Chris" - Required for ALL grades.
Fondy High: 9:40 - 10:25 in the Community Room
Horace Mann: 11:44 - 12:37 workshop in the Health Room (Room 121)
- WEDNESDAY the 27th: Financial Aid Night 5:30 at Horace Mann. Any SENIOR student who missed the financial aid night at Fondy High last month, should attend this program. Additionally, ALL Juniors should consider attending as next year's Seniors will be filing their FAFSA as early as October 2016! Get the info NOW!
- 2/20: College Goal Wisconsin (FAFSA submission) at Marian. Required for Seniors only, unless they can prove that their FAFSA has already been submitted.
- 2/20: CELEBRATE CommUNITY, FDL County Fairgrounds, 10:30 - 4:30. NOT required, but Tracy is looking for volunteers. Please use this link to sign up: http://goo.gl/forms/Hxf7WawMNq
- 2/23: TRIO Day Event 5:30 - 7:00 PM. Required for all grades.
- 3/4: College Tour to UW Madison. Must apply to be selected - use this link: http://goo.gl/forms/EWc0gKVP24
- 3/13: Browser Open at FDL Public Library. NOT required, but Tracy is looking for volunteers. Watch for separate email.
- "Employ-ability Panel" - Date to be determined. Will be an evening program at Marian, required for all grades.
Upcoming Opportunities at Marian University in April
Saturday, April 2 - Student Leadership Conference. UBMS students have LOVED this conference in the past!
Wednesday, April 5 - Academic Symposium (day event) - we'll do our best to get you out of school to attend!
Please mark your calendars and watch for more details on both of these events. These are not required, but you won't want to miss them!
January Reflection Papers
Students are given an extra week since the first Monday falls on the 1st - and we're nice! Please do no procrastinate!
Papers may not be turned in prior to your workshop with Chris on January 26th. In your reflection paper, you're expected to report what you learned, what it means to you, and how you plan to use the information you received from the workshop. Remember to take notes!
Another writing topic to be considered is: With the cold and sometimes gloomy days of winter, what sorts of things are you doing to stay emotionally and physically healthy? What works, what doesn't work? If you find yourself indoors more, what are you doing with your extra time? We hope searching careers, colleges, and scholarships tops your lists!
FDL Works Education Decoder
FDL Works is an excellent website that you will ALL want to become familiar with - you can even post and FIND JOBS here.
We encourage students to start exploring the vast information available at your finger tips at google.com.
1. Type in "scholarship for high school students" and see what you get. Plenty, right?
2. Next, can you answer "what is the definition of googol?" How many of you knew this?
Q: How much do we care about our UBMS students?
A: A googol!
Past Weekly Updates